MacBook Pro

I'm curious if the 49 dollar universality upgrade will only work with FCP 5. In the meantime there is always Rosetta.
 
I'm staying put at 10.3.9 with FCP 4.5 for a while. I finally got everything I own playing well together, don't need to mess up the balance.

I'll wait for 2nd or 3rd gen...hopefully by then they will have FW800 back on and all the bugs worked out. It seems like this release was just to bait in your casual business power users who don't need things like FW800, and want to buy a laptop for the "latest" technology status, or whatever. I think professionals will benefit more by waiting.
 
That's a good point. This is only the first generation of MacBooks. Within a year I'll bet we'll see some new advancements as they learn to really push the new processors. But i'm real happy with the direction they seem to be taken.
 
You will NOT be able to run FCP in Rosetta. If you own FCP5 the update to "universal" software is $99. Older FCP version owners will pay more. Look here...

http://www.apple.com/rosetta/

Also, these look like the equivelent to the iBooks IMO. I heard the faster version Intel chips will be released for the cureent Powerbook line later this year which peg over 2ghz with 2 cores. Those machines SHOULD have all the sizes and goodies our current powerbook line offer. Apple is just getting the "MacBook Pro" out there to test the waters. The new powerbook replacements may even have both the regular PCMCIA and express slots (as well as firewire 800?). Spring will yield the answers most likely. Pretty exciting though that things are speeding up for us shooters on the go.
 
Well there's the rub. Thanks for the info. Zero.

As for the even more powerful powerbooks I'm not very surprised. That's usually how Apple does it. I'll bide my time and see what pops up come NAB.
 
AgeZero said:
You will NOT be able to run FCP in Rosetta. If you own FCP5 the update to "universal" software is $99. Older FCP version owners will pay more. Look here...

http://www.apple.com/rosetta/

From Rosetta Page.
Apple Applications
If you already own Final Cut Studio 1.0, Aperture, or Logic Pro 7.1, these applications are not supported to run on Intel-based Macs with Rosetta, but a Universal version will be available for $49. Logic Express will be $29.

If you own a Final Cut Studio application that used to be available individually, you can upgrade to Final Cut Studio for these prices:

If you own... Get Final Cut Studio for...
Final Cut Pro 5 $99
DVD Studio Pro 4, Motion 2, or Soundtrack Pro $199
Final Cut Pro 4/4.5 or Production Suite $199
Final Cut Pro 1/2/3 $699

So if you already have the full Final Cut Studio, it's gonna be $49. Otherwise, you'll have to upgrade to the full Final Cut Studio, prices according to what you currently have.

I'll be interested in seeing what the new upgrade I'm hearing about that's due out in March is going to cost.
 
i was going to buuy a notebook for the upcoming college year, but i dont know if they'll have a 2nd gen out by this summer. if they dont, im lugging my g5 all the way to cali, cause i sure as hell dont want to mess with 1st gen bugs and shortcomings.
 
My personal philosophy is to always wait till the revision before buying a product. However, I think those of you crossing your fingers waiting for the "next big thing" might have to wait a while. This kinda *is* the "next big thing."

Maybe a pro machine will be released at NAB, but based on Apple's price structure there's not going to be a laptop that beats the Macbook for some time. This isn't the "new iBook."

The Powermac just went quad like what, two months ago? That won't be touched for a while. If you're gonna buy (maybe I should say need to buy), this is a good time to do it. Otherwise you're going to be waiting for a while. I remember waiting for the 3.0 G5 -- still waiting!

Yes, there are some software issues, but those will be ironed out before too long.

Thems me thoughts.
 
The Powerbooks also got updated just two and a half months ago, at the same time with the Power Macs (shipped earlier though).

I should know, I bought one. So there goes your theory. Apple has said that _everything_ will be Intel by the end of 2006 and judging by today, it's going to be sooner rather than later.

Yeah, if you sensed a little bitterness in me you may be right :)
 
Duel Systems is developing an adapter that should work with the new Powerbooks

"Duel is actively developing three new adapter devices:

An adapter to connect a CompactFlash Card to the new ExpressCard interface.
An adapter to connect a current PCMCIA card to the new ExpressCard interface.
An adaptor to connect the new ExpressCard interface to a standard USB type “dongle” plug."


http://www.duel-systems.com/products/adapters.aspx
 
By update, I meant major overhaul... i.e. Quad G5. The Powerbooks were updated recently, yes, but it was fairly minor all things considered. The Quad is likely the last to go. June seems like a good bet for the tower.

My point is, there's always something six months out that will blow everything else away. But you'll do just fine with what has already been announced/what currently exists. I bought a Dual 2 Powermac when the 2.5 was released, and I've never regretted going with the "lesser" machine. I feel ancient and obsolete everytime a press release comes out, but the thing still cooks.

Keep in mind, "end of 2006" is twelve months away.

aquafox said:
The Powerbooks also got updated just two and a half months ago, at the same time with the Power Macs (shipped earlier though).

I should know, I bought one. So there goes your theory. Apple has said that _everything_ will be Intel by the end of 2006 and judging by today, it's going to be sooner rather than later.

Yeah, if you sensed a little bitterness in me you may be right :)
 
I think its safe to say the ExpressCard interface will work in reverse wih PCMCIA. I feel FW800 was a mistake but not life ending.

I do firmly feel Apple has adpated to bringing on newer models at a faster pace than before, but the good news is anything bought today will stand up to three generations of upgrades without really missing out.

They know with the introduction of Aperture, Motion and FCP HD they needed to get laptops on par quick. Honestly you may see a 2-2.5 increase by summer but beyond that I doubt much more. I would love to see a quad laptop but than how would they sell a desktop :)
 
I too feel that these laptops aren't the exact top models Apple has in mind. Take for instance the screen size, where's the 17" models? I don't mind the lack of an actual PCMCIA slot for P2 cards, as people have said, adapters are in the works. I don't really mind the lack of Firewire 800 either, there's obviously going to be card solutions for those too. What I do worry about is screen resolution, I know these laptops are 720p safe since they exceed the resolution required but I'd like something higher than 1440x900, such as 1680x1050 with the 17" G4 model. I'm a resolution nut, it comes from being a PC videogamer I suppose.

HD-DVD/Bluray burners would be nice but they need to come out with the players first. I got the new issue of Variety this week and there was a big Sony magazine that came with it talking all about Bluray and the coming HD revolution in 2006 with all their new products and such. After reading through it, I of course felt that Bluray's going to win the format battle, good writing Sony! But then I realized it was Sony and I backed down into balance. I'll buy whatever works best.

I too can't wait to see the Intel Quad setup when it comes out, I hope they add SLI capability at least.

My biggest question though is will there be a new Mac OS version coming out? I was wanting to update my old 550mhz G4 Titanium Powerbook to Mac OS X but I wanted to wait for the Intel switch to see if there was indeed going to be a new version. Any ideas? Mac OS XI?
 
17" MacBook is coming soon of course. Don't forget that the most interesting thing about Apple/Intel MARRIAGE is PROBABLY possibility that also you could install WINDOWS XP and RedHot on the same machine and have them (operating systems) ALL. Now is a right time to finally switch on MAC.
 
Jack_Felis said:
My biggest question though is will there be a new Mac OS version coming out? I was wanting to update my old 550mhz G4 Titanium Powerbook to Mac OS X but I wanted to wait for the Intel switch to see if there was indeed going to be a new version. Any ideas? Mac OS XI?

OS 10.5 is in the works, but I think it's still some time in coming. Apple said about a year or so ago that they were going to slow down release of new operating systems. That said, I think they said that before they knew they were switching to Intel. Tiger (10.4) is only about 6-7 months old.

EDIT: I should add: You said "update to Mac OSX" ... does that mean you're still on OS... (shudder) 9?
 
Wait a minute. You could install Windows XP on MacBook Pro and run, say, Serious Magic HD Rack from it?

Boomerang you're very much right about that. And it needs to be remembered that it's three _months_ before FCP will run on these laptops. And then it will probably be a month until they announce FCP6.

But yeah, I'm waiting for the model with the BluRay burner :)
 
Its just that situation anyone here is honestly looking at a companion for there HVX, so to me the only real upgrade would be a bluray/HD drive for complete editing and output solution on the fly, not to mention a much larger Backup system. Seeing this type of upgrade would be the only thing to make me regret an early model purchase.
Obvisouly on a desktop level you can add or have an external but for a laptop enviroment it would be a bummer.

I honestly wouldnt be surprised to see it sooner than later. Once the BR/HD players hit the market, Apple will release all models to burn the two formats.
 
Back
Top