MAC 8 core Desktops

kai said:
They're not the exact same as their pc counterparts apparently

if recent events with the Mac Mini are anything to go by, they are exactly the same.

there is a tute out there on the web showing yo how to upgrade a single core Mac mini to a dual core bought from Newegg.
 
parallax said:
I'm sorry but there are so many misinformed peeps in this post it makes me wanna tear my face off.

-a multi core CPU does not have the same performance as the added individual cores on a megahertz basis. Not by a long shot. Scaling in singlethreaded apps is horrible.

-multi-core computing does not make transfering 300+mb/s streams of video any faster. No amount of CPU power wil allow you to overcome the bandwidth problems of HD video, let alone 4K. (unless you have terabytes of RAM) HDD's are, and have been the bottleneck of computing for quite some time now.

-Apple will not use special faster CPU's compared to it's Windows competitors, simply because Apple's part of the Intel Profit pie is exactly this: point-zero-something. Apple and Windows systems are 99.99% identical.

indeed. worse than that, most of the Apple software (and any other for that matter) is not properly optimised for Quad core multi-processing, which means that it bogs down in an instant with very little actual processing happening. I remember doing some tests a few months ago, where my Powerbook 17" was outrunning a Quad core G5. very sad indeed.
 
Jarred Land said:
i just went to newegg lol.. I dont know what apple is thinking.. they bragged about how the system was $1000 cheaper than Dell but the drives are more than 2x the cost for upgrade. I guess you gotta take in consideration paying some dude 80 bucks a minute to unbox the system, open it up, put the drive in etc... but still. Ill do it myself thank you.

cool stuff i'l hopefully do the same when i get mine, let us know how the set up goes & give us all your system spec specialy what brand & type of memory & hard drives you put in there & it would be great to know how it performs. i am hoping your graphics card can make it into the system.

i'l wait for a full review of the system from you ;)
 
Jarred Land said:
i just went to newegg lol.. I dont know what apple is thinking.. they bragged about how the system was $1000 cheaper than Dell but the drives are more than 2x the cost for upgrade. I guess you gotta take in consideration paying some dude 80 bucks a minute to unbox the system, open it up, put the drive in etc... but still. Ill do it myself thank you.


Hm, werent they saying that changing a drive is easier then ever and 'tool free' ? Then why should some geezer in the store do that. Might be some special connector to fit in their system. Seems like some kinda trays. Oh well, a regular Sata should fit I guess. But as far as the RAM goes we're scr*wed. Special RAM with a heatsink on it. But imagine 2 dual 3Ghz cpu's and 16gigs of RAM. Shake just got realtime. :) (No, not really. I know!)
 
razamalik said:
so far i think i'l get it on the standard configuration & add the RAM & 3 extra Hard drives myself & save a lot of money as apple charges crazy money for RAM...

I saved myself money by going with third party ram on my first two apple systems, but then I had a machine with problems. The problems may or may have not been third party ram related. Either way apple care is much less likely to fix your machine until you swap out for their ram, reinstall everything and then have the same problem. Then I also had to go through the extra effort of getting my ram replaced from the third party. (not really a big deal, but I am lazy.)

I now always get my extra ram from apple and pay the extra money as headache insurance. If something goes wrong with my machine, I have less hoops to jump through. Apple still charges a premium for their ram, but their mark up is not half as bad as what they charged 5 or 6 years ago. If you value your time as much as your money, you may want to consider keeping all the ram Apple.

Just my thoughts,
~Ian
 
prezorg said:
I now always get my extra ram from apple and pay the extra money as headache insurance. If something goes wrong with my machine, I have less hoops to jump through. Apple still charges a premium for their ram, but their mark up is not half as bad as what they charged 5 or 6 years ago. If you value your time as much as your money, you may want to consider keeping all the ram Apple.

Just my thoughts,
~Ian

I called an Apple Store where a very honest and helpful employee suggested I buy RAM from Crucial.com. He said it would be the "exact same unit" that they put in the machine at 1/2 the price. Bet that 3rd party vendor would have prevented your headache and saved you a lot of money.
 
JY_Blue said:
He said it would be the "exact same unit" that they put in the machine at 1/2 the price. Bet that 3rd party vendor would have prevented your headache and saved you a lot of money.

I'm sure the memory would be "the exact same unit" as apple doesn't manufacture their own ram, they just repackage and resell. The "headache" is once your are dealing with applecare troubleshooting your machine. They don't like to fix your machine until you have reinstalled the OS and had the same problem on your machine with only the original apple ram in it.

In my case, the original amount of apple ram wasn't enough to do HD in FCP, so I had to buy more apple ram and sell the www.memorysolutions.com ram to a friend to try and recoup some of my costs.

Having all apple ram empowers the apple employees to move more swiftly when trying to fix or troubleshoot your computer. The downtime and extra hoops I had to go through cost me far more than any money I would have saved. If you use your computer as a tool to make money, my recommendation for purchasing ram is to stick with apple ram.
 
Hey I read that the duel core Xeon woodcrest processors are a workstation version of the core2 duo processor, can someone confirm this? Thanks
 
Back
Top