MAC 8 core Desktops

Hmmm, well then I guess I can wait on the tower and just get a Core Duo 2 Macbook Pro, if they make one right away that is, to hold me for HD stuff until they implement quad-cores.

HDRebel88, that's not exactly true. Adding another 3ghz processor to a 3ghz computer for example wouldn't make that computer a 6ghz computer. Multi-cores allow for much more to be done at once which is, technically, almost the same idea as a faster processor. However, the speed is the same and that can still be upgraded, multi-cores just let us move more than we used to, but we still move at the same speed, know what I mean?
 
They're basically multi-level processors, dual core is two processors stacked on top of each other, allowing one app to run through one and another app to run the other. Effectively giving each app its on processor to use. Each processor processes each app by itself, Core one runs say
Avid and then Core two would run PhotoShop, allowing full flowing processing line for each app.

(http://intel.com/products/processor_number/index_view_core.htm, then click on Discover Processor Technologies, Once it loads click Dual Core Technology.)
 
Last edited:
jeffyjones said:
Come on, you know how those Mac rumor sites go. They post an obvious future product from Apple and say it's soon, about four or five times before it actually happens. Duh.

just like the touchscreen ipod that was supposed to be out in april......
 
Sorry guys, I'll throw a little perspective on this.
macosrumours prolly has the worst rep of any of the mac rumour sites. Sorry once again - it just has. It stinks.

Suggest you have a look around on these 2 - if you can wade thru all the junk that gets posted, occassionally there's some good info.

http://forums.applenova.com/
http://www.appleinsider.com/

No affiliation here with either.
cheers
 
kai said:
Although it hasn't always been just processing power clogging the pipeline... a common roadblock is often storage and bandwidth TO that storage...

sorry im kinda late to respond.

but comeon..storage will definitly not be a problem. Ive seen harddrives for computers that go up to 600 gb

These macs are going to have many inputs for harddrives or other drivers..if you buy like 3 600 gb harddrives..thats 1800gb...over a terabyte of space.
If Maxtor can create 1 terabyte external harddrives (but from two 500gb drives combined)..most likely in the future, companies will start making internal single drives that store 1 terabyte or 2 if its physically capable.


and RAM...the G5's now can go up to more than 2gb. These new comps will probablly triple that amount.
because they're making this computer a monster for processing..obviously its going to have loads of RAM.

I just think the cost will the biggest concern.
 
This is such an exciting time for graphic designers and video editors alike... Vista and the Intel Mac in particular are a major milestone. The ability to run Windows on a Mac system and Apple software being able to run on an Intel chip will finally create the uni-platform system I have dreamed about. I have been arguing with all my graphic design friends for years because I have been saying that mac/pc will become cross-platform, but noone would believe me.

The new 8-core system sounds amazing and I am looking foward to it, but I am more exited about adobe and what they are doing to redifine the design world. The buyout of Macromedia alone was making me cream my pants (the idea that dreamweaver would run drag and drop with adobe creative suite). Now the Intel Mac has finally given them the path to create their software uni-platform (something they have been striving for years).

What this ultimately means is the downfall of Microsofts massive dominance. Microsoft will still have the majority, but Mac is going to take a big part of their market. The only thing that has been holding Mac back has been their lack of software and they finally have realized how to market their items with ipod and will continue to do so with the intel line. My only hope is that AMD can find a way to even the playing field with Intel (I thought their 64bit processor would do the trick, but I was wrong). All this competition ultimately means better products and prices for us.

Another great thing is software. Final Cut now has a chance to take some of the market away avid../
 
AMD has announced plans for an 8 core cpu by late next year, I'm sure Intel will counter. But I'm pretty sure they are for the server and high end workstation markets (Xeon and Opteron) so don't hold your breath unless you have lots of money to spend. Still, 2+ 8 core cpus = renderfarm on your desk.

Don't the new core 2 duos have the emt64 instruction set put back in? Also, according to an interview by Intel folks earlier this year, the sse, sse2 and sse3 instructions in the core 2 duos take only 1 cycle instead of 4, so mpeg encoding and other multi-media related operations are going to speed up significantly.
 
I meant that comment about AMD as being market share. Intel is by far the dominant processor and will only continue to further its dominance with the Intel Mac (the only market it hadnt tapped into).

The one thing that scares me about this 8-core system is that software wont utilize it and then I am spending massive amounts of money for a computer running at partial speed. I mean dual processors have been around for a while now and support is still limited. But maybe software companies will finally get off their asses and do some work. I mean Vista is to release soon and rumors of a new Mac Os have been floating around (although only a small amount of rumors are fact). Maybe companies are waiting for them to release....
 
Yardsale said:
So uh, new casing too? :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)
You KNOW there will be new casing once a new tower is announced. That's just how they play. :) I hope it's a little smaller than their current offering... I've been using a Shuttle PC for the last three years and I love how compact it is. Those G5 towers are gigantic.

blckhawk542 said:
but comeon..storage will definitly not be a problem. Ive seen harddrives for computers that go up to 600 gb
Seagate already has single-drive disks that go up to 750GB using their new perpendicular recording technology. They've announced 1TB in a 3.5" FF by the end of the year, too. :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148134
 
Haakon said:
You KNOW there will be new casing once a new tower is announced. That's just how they play. :) I hope it's a little smaller than their current offering... I've been using a Shuttle PC for the last three years and I love how compact it is. Those G5 towers are gigantic.
macbook pro is identical to the powerbook :(
 
Anything that will be releassd by Apple will be announced first at mac world in AUGUST then most likely shipping 1 to 3 months after.

8 cores i suspect will be Dual Kentfield cores (2x 4 core chips) which come out Q1 2007. So expect 4 core woodcrest in August, will knock the pants off of anything that mac has put out so far.
 
Apple will be using the "Conroe" and "Kentfield" chips, but this rumor is not accurate according to what I've been told about Apple's future Intel high end towers. The are not supposed to be out until the end of 06, early 07. Said chips are not ready for production yet, according to Intel. But when it is, it will be very impressive.

No, the current core duo Intels in the MacBooks are NOT what will go into the high end towers. Apple has already stated that publicly.

Then again, this is the same rumor site that got worked up about $10k per seat FCP Extreme. Anyone who serisously thought about the price tag would have known it was BS from the start. In the past year I've lost all respect for that Mac rumor site. They've just gone over the edge and lost their sanity.

As for not getting full support for multiple processor systems, well, UNIX has been running 24-bit multi-processor systems full blown for YEARS! (I'm a former UNIX specialist.) Apple got OS X up to speed with not only multiple processors, but also with 46-bit processing very quickly. Apple is way ahead of that game than Microsoft in that resect. I guess ol' Bill is jumping ship now that Windows is floundering to keep up with everyone else. Does that sound smug? Sorry, but I am.
 
Last edited:
Bobaristheguy said:
This is such an exciting time for graphic designers and video editors alike... Vista and the Intel Mac in particular are a major milestone.

Another great thing is software. Final Cut now has a chance to take some of the market away avid../

Well, first up, Vista is still a pipe dream that is way, way behind schedule and has dropped many promised features along the way. Features OS X now does. So, I don't see Vista as a milestone, just a catch up to everyone else.

As for FCP "now" having the chance to take market away from Avid, well, that's been happening for years. It's not a new thing.
 
Nonsense. Vista is stable and quite usable today. I'm an Apple fanboy as well, but also a Microsoft developer. Vista is well on track for the November RTM. I agree that it's a shame that the new file system in particular won't ship, but as someone who has touched Vista, I don't know that it would've made that much of a difference to the end user anyway.
 
Imagine if all of this became true.
The top model would be:
8 processors, 32 gigs of RAM considering the Quad can hold 16 gigs of Ram. Add to the package Final Cut Extreme that is said to support RED.

The Quad is already overkill. This thing would be mind bobbling. I would have many sleepless nights if I were to ever win the lottery and own one of these. Some people may actually suffer a heart attack if Apple were to release it with the same specs this August..
 
Back
Top