Loving the UX-180

A few days ago I picked up the UX-180 after much research.
Most of the shooting I do is with a 60D/70D DSLR, HMC-150s and a few 4K Hero4 Black GoPros.

I LOVE the 20 optical zoom, UHD 60P and image stabilization. This camera has greatly exceed my expectations.

Just for kicks, here a test clip shot in Oakville, Ontario by the lake: (Love the goose doing a somersault in the water!)
https://youtu.be/KImoRtsS6f4

0:00 - 0:30 tripod zoom in test
3:02 Tripod zoom out test
4:27 DOF test with woodpecker
6:05 Hand held / Canada Goose somersault (sometimes you get lucky!!)

Settings:
- Full Auto
- Built in mic, naked
 
Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Hella sharp. Maybe too sharp? You might benefit from lowering the detail level just a bit. It looks like a great tool. Maybe some color work to improve the settings? targeted saturation and highlight handling would be great places to start. Panasonic gives us many options these days to improve the in-camera images. Tweak, tweak, tweak...
 
Thanks for your comments... I should of mentioned that is "as shot" using Scene 1.

After a few days of testing, my current thinking is that I would rather have an image too sharp and add a slight blur in post, if needed.
However, my clients seem to perceive sharpness as quality.

Tweaking Panasonic's camera settings, even with Barry's awesome books might get me into a situation where it can't be easily fixed in post. More testing will be done.

To me, it seems like Panasonic uses Google translation to create English documentation. For example "Auto SW" really means "Auto Switch"
How can a switch be "auto"? You need to switch the "switch" to where you need it...
In re-reading the above sentence, it almost sounds like a episode of Seinfeld. :)
 
Last edited:
+1 loving the UX180.

Would appreciate some advice on how to reduce wind noise by covering the internal mic. Anything on eBay or Amazon that would work?
 
+1 loving the UX180.

Would appreciate some advice on how to reduce wind noise by covering the internal mic. Anything on eBay or Amazon that would work?
My current set up is a Rode NTG-2 with shoe mount and a Rode WS6 windscreen. It works well for low speed winds.

As for something for the built in mic, I have no personal experience with that.

I have found by rolling off at around 80hz in post or on mic helps a lot.
Also under audio setup, you can try the "low cut" setting and see if that helps.
 
My current set up is a Rode NTG-2 with shoe mount and a Rode WS6 windscreen. It works well for low speed winds.

As for something for the built in mic, I have no personal experience with that.

I have found by rolling off at around 80hz in post or on mic helps a lot.
Also under audio setup, you can try the "low cut" setting and see if that helps.

Thanks for the input. You're happy with the NGT-2? Was thinking NGT-3 but it's kinda pricey although has some great reviews.

Yes...will try out the low cut. Cheers.
 
+1 loving the UX180.

Would appreciate some advice on how to reduce wind noise by covering the internal mic. Anything on eBay or Amazon that would work?

As a "free" option, try enabling the low cut filter for both channels. It's not something I'd recommend for leaving on all the time, but if you're in a windy situation it might help to cut the rumble some.
 
It's a very clever camera. Some prefer it to the DVX200.
For certain uses, I'd be one of them. The UX180 is much more comfortable for handheld work; if you're doing an all-day handheld shoot, the UX180 would be my choice hands down.

On a tripod, the DVX200 is the better camera. For cinema use, the DVX200 is the better camera -- bigger sensor, shallower DOF, V-Log L, and 10-bit output. But handheld, the UX180's balance, fit, size, weight and ergos are just much better. It is the same size and weight as the original DVX100.
 
A few days ago I picked up the UX-180 after much research.
Most of the shooting I do is with a 60D/70D DSLR, HMC-150s and a few 4K Hero4 Black GoPros.

I LOVE the 20 optical zoom, UHD 60P and image stabilization. This camera has greatly exceed my expectations.

Just for kicks, here a test clip shot in Oakville, Ontario by the lake: (Love the goose doing a somersault in the water!)
https://youtu.be/KImoRtsS6f4

0:00 - 0:30 tripod zoom in test
3:02 Tripod zoom out test
4:27 DOF test with woodpecker
6:05 Hand held / Canada Goose somersault (sometimes you get lucky!!)

Settings:
- Full Auto
- Built in mic, naked
The close ups looked close considering the max zoom is 480mm
 
Back
Top