Brian_Broz
Active member
Hi,
Can somewhone describe the purpose of LUTs (lookup tables) for calibration on set and through the production chain? Forgive my ignorance, but I am hearing the term LUT thrown around a lot lately...and stilll don't understand (fully) the different options for colorspace and how to keep things consistent thru production. I understand the importance of keeping consistency in terms of the waveform monitor and vectorscopes, but how does colorspace relate?
I have been working in video for years where it was a betacam and an 8044/45 Sony for color reference
And 12-15 NP1 batteries...but that's another story 
I hope I'm not the only one on these boards that doesn't fully understand LUTs. I'm curious, as I've heard of guys setting up custom LUTs before working on a series....but I feel like a PUTz for asking.
I'm hoping someone can chime in with their wisdom and experiences. I'm trying to know all this stuff before those RED cameras arrive!!
Thanks for any help.
Brian Broz
Can somewhone describe the purpose of LUTs (lookup tables) for calibration on set and through the production chain? Forgive my ignorance, but I am hearing the term LUT thrown around a lot lately...and stilll don't understand (fully) the different options for colorspace and how to keep things consistent thru production. I understand the importance of keeping consistency in terms of the waveform monitor and vectorscopes, but how does colorspace relate?
I have been working in video for years where it was a betacam and an 8044/45 Sony for color reference
I hope I'm not the only one on these boards that doesn't fully understand LUTs. I'm curious, as I've heard of guys setting up custom LUTs before working on a series....but I feel like a PUTz for asking.
I'm hoping someone can chime in with their wisdom and experiences. I'm trying to know all this stuff before those RED cameras arrive!!
Thanks for any help.
Brian Broz