It's here.. part 2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zoomforce
  • Start date Start date
Re: It's here.. part 2

Sorry to bang on about this (well, I did in the deleted thread), but unless the Canon chip turns out to have serious problems (how likely is that?) the choice between the DVX and the XL2 should not be governed by picture quality - we'll tie oursleves in knots arguing over subjective issues. I own both an XL1s and my new DVX and it is clear to me that the DVX and XL concepts are designed to be SUCH DIFFERENT TOOLS despite folk pointing to the similarities.

It's simple now: if you're in the market to buy, and you can see that your work demands that you pull in the long shots from time to time - nature/candid for documentary or you want an authoritative bit of kit that screams PRO (to the general public, at least) - order your XL2 now.

If you want a camera that is equally at home in the studio and the formal shoot as it is out on the streets - goes anywhere and allows you to get those shots without drawing a crowd, stick with or be happy ordering a DVX.

These two cameras are probably the best that prosumer SD cameras are ever going to get - next time around we WILL be agonising about the image because next time we will get HDV.
 
Re: It's here.. part 2

Right now I could not see anything that would make the XL2 better than the DVX; with an XL2 pro of having the ability to change the lens (what for?) and the XL2 con of having virtually NO wide angle range AT ALL.

'K, we'll have to wait for actual footage.
 
Re: It's here.. part 2

I still think the DVX dressed up in full armour, that is matte box to eye piece still looks bitchn and closer to a pro setup. The xl1 xl2 design looks cool but rather like a limb that has fallen of Bjork in her white robot video

bjork01.jpg


SPOT THE XL2 :P
 
Re: It's here.. part 2

Unless you use the Matteblox. In which case your DVX kinda looks like a nun. (That joke was made at my expence earlier today)
 
Re: It's here.. part 2

[quote author=Josicleverson link=board=XL2;num=1089765212;start=15#26 date=07/13/04 at 18:59:34]

I'm in the same situation!!![/quote]

Hey Josicleverson, I'm in São Paulo, and just bought mine. I will have it by the weekend and can post you my impressions then. I bought it because I needed to shoot a doc this month, knowing that the XL2 was nearby. If you can wait, by all means do. All the speculation saying this cam will be a piece of **** doesn't take into the account that it's a XL2! Well have anybody here seen a XL1? The camera rocked when it was launched, and there is a good chance it's newer brother is still going to rock today! But for 1000 bucks less, I feel truly relieved to have gone with the DVX... The only think I would wait for is to see if we have a drop in price of the DVX until the end of the year... Ayway, there is a lot of information missing, like reviews, street price, etc... So I would at least wait for those...
 
Re: It's here.. part 2

I will wait a few weeks...
Just trying not to spend all the money in girls 'n' beer!!!
You know what I mean... Dinheiro na mão coça!!!
;D ;D ;D
 
Re: It's here.. part 2

I wasn't going to buy a camera before mid-August anyway (maybe later), so this is good news for me. I can wait for the comparisons, hopefully see some good tests by independent reveiwers, and then make my decision.
 
Re: It's here.. part 2

[quote author=Josicleverson link=board=XL2;num=1089765212;start=45#47 date=07/14/04 at 06:40:29]I will wait a few weeks...
Just trying not to spend all the money in girls 'n' beer!!!
You know what I mean... Dinheiro na mão coça!!!
;D  ;D  ;D[/quote]

Yeah, but imagine how many girls you are going to get when you are in the middle of the street, shooting with your new panny or canon later this year. Well, now that I think about it, it's better not to think about that at all... Someone want to buy a DVX? ;D

And about what you said... "Podicrê!" I live a lot more economically when my bank account is negative (just like right now...) :( Just find a Hobby! ;D
 
Re: It's here.. part 2

Hey guys did you see the camera I pasted into the pic or not! It took me 20 mins to doctor! Something mention of it man! or did you just fly by the bjork pic to quick to notice? :D :D
 
Re: It's here.. part 2

i just did! ;D hilarious! .. i do like bjork though.. shes my favorite musical artist. is that video in collaboration with the film " I- robot " ?
 
Re: It's here.. part 2

"Right now I could not see anything that would make the XL2 better than the DVX; with an XL2 pro of having the ability to change the lens (what for?) and the XL2 con of having virtually NO wide angle range AT ALL."

20x Zoom. Shoulder Mount. 4 Channel Audio. Better optical image stabilization. True 16:9 (whether 'native' or not, it's significantly higher res). Ability to use about 100 different lenses. Viewfinder that's correctly off to the side, to facilitate shoulder mount shooting. Did I mention 20x zoom?

For me, those are all very good reasons.
 
Re: It's here.. part 2

[quote author=Matthew link=board=XL2;num=1089765212;start=45#51 date=07/14/04 at 09:50:24]Hey guys did you see the camera I pasted into the pic or not! It took me 20 mins to doctor! Something mention of it man! or did you just fly by the bjork pic to quick to notice?  :D :D[/quote]

Matthew--That was great PS work--it looks seamless. IAL--another big Bjork fan here too. Her music videos by Gondry et al are consistently amazing too.
 
Re: It's here.. part 2

so is the XL2 available to purchase now? Or was it just annnouced as a product someday?
 
Re: It's here.. part 2

[quote author=Mogambi link=board=XL2;num=1089765212;start=45#53 date=07/14/04 at 10:09:05]20x Zoom. Shoulder Mount. 4 Channel Audio. Better optical image stabilization. True 16:9 (whether 'native' or not, it's significantly higher res). Ability to use about 100 different lenses. Viewfinder that's correctly off to the side, to facilitate shoulder mount shooting. Did I mention 20x zoom?

For me, those are all very good reasons.[/quote]

And if those reasons justify the extra $1000-$1500 USD, then the choice is clear. For me, the DVX was probably too much for me to spend in the first place (but I did). No way could I justify $5000 when I get what I wanted for $3400. It all boils down to what one wants/needs relative to what one can afford. Both cameras have their place in that regard.
 
Re: It's here.. part 2

The biggest problem for me is the lack of Focus marks and Zoom marks on the lens or the display. I just cant do that as matching frames and etc becomes a lucky guess... that is the big problem I have with the PD150 as well. I dont really understand how anyone works without the marks, maybe I am just old school.
 
Back
Top