Is this a scam?

roxics

This morning while browsing Amazon I found a used 5d mkII for $1150 (price with shipping). The only note was that the buyers should contact them before placing the order. So I sent and email and got an email back saying (I'm paraphrasing):

Canon 5D mkII 21 megapixel camera is like new, mint condition ex demo unit. Basically just taken out of the box and has to be sold used as a result. Still comes with 12 month Canon warranty. Just send me your full name and address and i will contact Amazon asap to process an order for you. delivery will take 4 - 6 days.

Checking out the sellers Amazon feedback (22 of them) they are 95% positive and 5% neutral with dealings going back as as far as 2004.

I'm absolutely ready to jump on this thing tomorrow morning. But red flags are going off in my head saying "wow that's $1200 less than the other used 5D2 bodies on Amazon. Why such a huge difference?"

I very rarely shop Amazon so I don't know what kind of scams might be going on with that website. Wondering if any of you have heard of any scams like this or am I just getting the deal of the year?

Last edited:
Nope it says specifically a 5d mkII 21 megapixels.

Cool...now make sure that THEY KNOW the difference. (I bought a lens from some joker...Canon 70-300...great performer...only to get home and find that he sold me the Canon 75-300...ALMOST the same right?...I was pissed for sure, because he SPECIFICALLY SAID it was the 70-300)

The next thing you should do (if INDEED it is the 5d Mark II) ....and this IS important: Buy a second one and send it to me. I'll be happy to pay for it +shipping. :)

Can I ask why on earth, if this is advertised on Amazon, and I assume you have an Amazon account, that he needs your name and address details to make make the transaction on Amazon. Something smells off to me.

Lol :)
I posted this same message on 5dcinema and a couple people there seem convinced this isn't worth the risk. That it's a scam. Well I'm not sure.

Their email to me was a little more in depth saying there were no shutter actions on the camera and their amazon feedback does go back to 2004. So that does sound reassuring. However the price is not. Why would someone sell something that low when they could easily get an extra $800 for it?

Can I ask why on earth, if this is advertised on Amazon, and I assume you have an Amazon account, that he needs your name and address details to make make the transaction on Amazon. Something smells off to me.

You're right. I just figured it was for shipping purposes as they would need my name and address anyway. So I provided it to him. But I haven't done any transactions or given any payment information. Well not much they can really do with just my name and address I shouldn't think. That's pretty public info to begin with.

I too would be suspicious, but a friend of mine recently bought a 5Dmk2 on ebay with the kit lens, AKA the 24-105 F4 L for $1500 bucks on ebay. The camera, as great as it is, is fastly becoming long in the tooth. It very well could be legit.

Definitely a scam. This morning I got an email from auto-confirm@amazon.com (orders@marketplace-amazon.com) wanting me to send money via moneygram to Italy. In the original item listing from Amazon it stated the item ships from North Carolina. I checked my Amazon.com account to see if I had any "orders" on record and there was nothing.

So I did some digging and this is what I found:
http://www.amazon.com/Anyone-dealt-...H3S067A4YFBK/1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B001413DF8

Interesting. It's the same situation, asks for an email with name and address and then sends a bogus order confirmation asked for a moneygram to Italy. Just a different product and different seller.

Oh well I figured as much, hence the reason I asked here. Just had my hopes up a little.

yeah, send me money gram for 2, 500and I'll send you a slightly used 5d it ships from Italy, so it may never arrive :) :)

Anytime you have to wire transfer money to anyone, for anything, it's a SCAM!!!!
Personally, I wish the wire transfer companies would exercise more due diligence. Can anyone tell me why there are so many Western Union offices in Nigeria???? Why is there even ONE??

The thread you linked to showed Amazon being unresponsive this scam method back in 2009 - it's revealing that they are still being far less than forthcoming about it 2 years later, when contacted by a concerned/wary buyer.

Anytime you have to wire transfer money to anyone, for anything, it's a SCAM!!!!
Personally, I wish the wire transfer companies would exercise more due diligence. Can anyone tell me why there are so many Western Union offices in Nigeria???? Why is there even ONE??

Due diligence in what? In not completing money wires to Nigerians?

They ain't selling tobacco.

Back