is there a $2k video camera with quality of 7D?

Kicker661

New member
The quality of the 7D is brilliant but id like to add a video camera as its easier use filming very fast moving objects

I am budgeting $2k but I want the same or at least close to the quality I get from my 7D. Is that possible for $2k?

One thing I need is a fast zoom that keeps its focus when being used.
 
If you mean is there a $2k handy-cam style camcorder, with a fixed zoom lens with video style auto focus, that has the image quality of a Canon 7D, then no, I don't think that there is a camera available like that. If there was I would want one, as I think a lot of folks would also.

If you need a camera that is, "...easier use filming very fast moving objects" with a, "...a fast zoom that keeps its focus when being used" then you may want to try to find a high quality used small sensor "Proper" handy-cam HD video camcorder. Unfortunately, replicating the exact look of a Canon 7D would not be possible with a camera like that, but I believe that with careful attention to lighting, exposure, composition and the other basic elements of good videography most contemporary quality HD camcorders can make very pleasing images.
 
The quality of the 7D is brilliant but id like to add a video camera as its easier use filming very fast moving objects

I am budgeting $2k but I want the same or at least close to the quality I get from my 7D. Is that possible for $2k?

One thing I need is a fast zoom that keeps its focus when being used.
I compared a 7d with a kit lens to the Panasonic AG-AC90 and the AG-AC90 was better in many regards. There is no perfect camera though and you should read the detailed reviews including one done on Videomaker
 
I compared a 7d with a kit lens to the Panasonic AG-AC90 and the AG-AC90 was better in many regards. There is no perfect camera though and you should read the detailed reviews including one done on Videomaker

There are also the new Canon xa10 and xa25 more or less in the same price range (street price), but like the AC90, they all suffer from one fundamental flaw which makes it unusable to me for narrative work - the wide end is not wide enough; and that flaw is unlikely to be ever fixed, as it is very hard to have a zoom with that big a range that is also reasonably fast - it would be huge and very expensive. So no wide end, which for narrative work, is: FAIL.
 
You need to nail down what exactly is generating this perceived quality for you. The depth of field? Dynamic range? Colour reproduction? Then we can find a camera that will replicate that.
 
I cant think of a camcord under $2500 that would get that good quality. I personally just sold my 7d to get another panasonic gh2. This video was a mix of a canon 7d and a GH2, do you think the quality of one is better than the other?


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5O4gfqpT1U&hd=1

with a GH2 you could get the panasonic lens that has the ability to zoom without losing focus or aperture change and the price would be under 2000.
 
Back
Top