I'm not quite sure how to edit my HV20 HD footage in Premiere. Help!

c.g._eads

Veteran
Have an HV20 and Premiere 2.0. All of my Premieres have a long-standing tradition of not recognizing the cameras atttached to the computer. This leaves me with no option to capture footage onto my computer.

So my question is, how do I capture my HV20 footage onto my computer? Is there a free standalone app that captures HD footage? What is it and where can I find it?

The only other option I can think of is getting the computer to officially recognize my camera. Usually I can plug a camera into my computer and even if I don't officially "install" it, the computer can still see and use it. But no drivers came with my HV20 and my computer has no idea what it is. Any advice on how to get the computer to recognize it?

Oh, and you know how they have those presets to choose from when you open a new project in Premiere? I heard there's a canon HV20 preset floating around somewhere on the internet. Anyone know where I can find it?
 
Okay, so HDVsplit is finally working and it recognizes my HV20 and all is well when..... everything comes crashing down.

The newet problem is that after HDVsplit captures the footage, I import it into premiere and... well, the file is "there". But it has that generic "media pending" screen instead of the actual video. Every single file I import that was captured using HDVsplit is like that. Any ideas why?

Something I found a little odd. Inside the folder I captured to (windows folder - not premiere folder), I have the icons in thumbnail view, where I can usually see a thumbnail of the video I just captured. But instead of a video icon, I see the generic windows icon that they put when they don't know what the file is. I chalked it up to the fact that I've never used m2t files before and figured my windows didn't know what they were yet. But now I'm starting to think something went wrong in the capturing process and the files are corrupt (which would explain the "media pending" tag).

Any ideas on what went wrong?
 
Okay, so HDVsplit is finally working and it recognizes my HV20 and all is well when..... everything comes crashing down.

The newet problem is that after HDVsplit captures the footage, I import it into premiere and... well, the file is "there". But it has that generic "media pending" screen instead of the actual video. Every single file I import that was captured using HDVsplit is like that. Any ideas why?

Something I found a little odd. Inside the folder I captured to (windows folder - not premiere folder), I have the icons in thumbnail view, where I can usually see a thumbnail of the video I just captured. But instead of a video icon, I see the generic windows icon that they put when they don't know what the file is. I chalked it up to the fact that I've never used m2t files before and figured my windows didn't know what they were yet. But now I'm starting to think something went wrong in the capturing process and the files are corrupt (which would explain the "media pending" tag).

Any ideas on what went wrong?

Why don't you download a trial version of vegas 7 and try capturing and editing with it. It will at least show you if your problems are caused by premiere.
 
I believe I'm going to give that a shot, although I don't believe Premiere is the problem (I've been having problems every step of the way - maybe my computer isn't new enough to properly handle HD). Tried ULead yesterday for capture but ULead says it doesn't recognize the camera (even though it's listed as "HV20" in the drop down menu - Guess it only "kinda" doesn't recognize it"). I had this same problem with my old camera though. Nothing could understand it (and it was a sony trv-17 -- a fairly standard camera). And then windows moviemaker solved the riddle and I could capture with that. The "m2t" files having a generic "unknown" windows icon further make me believe this is still a capture problem. So I'm just going to exhaust every single capture option before I give up. If anyone has any new ideas, please pass them along.
 
I believe I'm going to give that a shot, although I don't believe Premiere is the problem (I've been having problems every step of the way - maybe my computer isn't new enough to properly handle HD). Tried ULead yesterday for capture but ULead says it doesn't recognize the camera (even though it's listed as "HV20" in the drop down menu - Guess it only "kinda" doesn't recognize it"). I had this same problem with my old camera though. Nothing could understand it (and it was a sony trv-17 -- a fairly standard camera). And then windows moviemaker solved the riddle and I could capture with that. The "m2t" files having a generic "unknown" windows icon further make me believe this is still a capture problem. So I'm just going to exhaust every single capture option before I give up. If anyone has any new ideas, please pass them along.

Also install VLC media player which will install codecs needed for m2t files. Try watching captured files with it.
 
I initially had problems capturing in Premiere as well. The problems for me stemmed from the project settings. You need to start with a project with HD settings from the presets. Then when you go to capture, under Devide Control settings use "Canon" for the brand and "Standard" for device type.

It recognizes my camcorder every time now using these settings. I also only use the Firewire. It seems to have trouble recognizing the camcorder through USB.
 
Back
Top