If I buy an HMC150 today, will I find it drops hugely in price tomorrow?

Mark Turner

Active member
One of the last concerns facing me as I prepare to drop a lot of money (for me, anyway) on an HMC150 plus accoutrements, is whether I should wait another month or so to see if prices drop.

I know it's never the right time to buy modern electronics, but I am concerned for a couple of reasons:

- the HMC40 is coming soon, at a pretty low price, which could lead to a concomitant reduction in the HMC150? (and who knows, maybe the JVC HM100u)

- new DSLR competition emerging: the GH1 should start arriving in shops again; and then there is the new Nikon D300S coming in september - which is also likely to attract the same kind of people as the HMC150

- the camera has been around now a little while. A new commercial season beckons, in a weak economic climate, and retailers may be reconsidering what they charge for their inventory.

Anyone got a crystal ball handy?
 
One of the last concerns facing me as I prepare to drop a lot of money (for me, anyway) on an HMC150 plus accoutrements, is whether I should wait another month or so to see if prices drop.

I know it's never the right time to buy modern electronics, but I am concerned for a couple of reasons:

- the HMC40 is coming soon, at a pretty low price, which could lead to a concomitant reduction in the HMC150? (and who knows, maybe the JVC HM100u)

- new DSLR competition emerging: the GH1 should start arriving in shops again; and then there is the new Nikon D300S coming in september - which is also likely to attract the same kind of people as the HMC150

- the camera has been around now a little while. A new commercial season beckons, in a weak economic climate, and retailers may be reconsidering what they charge for their inventory.

Anyone got a crystal ball handy?

I am in the same boat as you. It is in the cart at amazon waiting to check out.

-jr
 
Prices change all the time.

If you need it now or soon and have clients that will pay for a gig, get now.

Otherwise, wait and see.

Given the popularity of the 150 I don't see a price drop any time soon.
 
I guess we were lucky to pull the gun a few months back, its a little bit more now... keep in mind panasonic.com sells the hmc150 for $3999. It doesn't seem like the price has moved around since the April rebate ended... It could be months before it drops, it could be days, how long could you wait before really needing it?

For us, a few hundred bucks is a no brainer when you can charge the client a lot more for HD footage.
 
The HMC40 will be there to protect the price on the HMC150. This is what my crystal ball tell me.
 
The answers are missing a word in the first post: hugely. It will not drop 'hugely', if it drops at all. These things take a long time. The DVX100's price history is a good way to see that. The numbers being sold dropped long before the prices, which to my knowledge never took a really sudden huge hit. Maybe a quick period, but the difference between that and the new HD standard is a much bigger one. I expect to see a similar trend in similar situations.

But if you wait it might go down slightly. If you should depends on if you need it or not. It won't go down at all until sellers can't move the product, which could be a while.
 
The HMC40 will occupy the low price point and keep the HMC150 from dropping much in price, if any.
 
No not tomorrow, only after you buy one. Shortly after I bought one the rebate started.

Yes, it's true! After having same price for long time, the price will drop after you buy it.
It's kind'a Law of Murphy. :badputer:

Anyways, I think, it will take at least 6 months for any significant drop in Price.
 
Unfortunately Mark, no matter how long you wait, the price will probably go lower after you buy it. However, the HMC150 has actually risen in price during the past year, so you may want to consider that too.

The real question is can you make more money with it right now than any price drop will provide? If you can, then worrying about prices dropping is fruitless.
 
I actually found it went the other way. I picked up my HMC 150 for $2800 from a dealer (yes, authentic, actual HMC150, not japanese) and two weeks later the prices of them started going sky high as the popularity started going up!
 
purchased end of May for $3199.00 (Amazon). Currently it's going for $3419.97 (Amazon)

Even if you pay a few extra bucks, the second you open the box and see your new camera in all it's glory YOU WILL NOT CARE!
 
Back
Top