HV30 24p pulldown

morgster

Active member
Working on a network show that is shooting DVCPRO HD 24p (23.976) and they are using the HV30 in 24p mode as a camera for the contestants to shoot with.

We're cutting offline in an Avid media composer.

Anyway, we're offlining the show in SD, using pulldown from 60i to get the 24p from the panasonic, and I'm wondering if there is anyway to get the 24p out of the HV30?

I figured you may be able to do a pulldown over firewire into AVID? But I'm wondering if you can use any deck anywhere (maybe a sony HDV deck) that will output a SD signal flagging the right frames to do a pulldown.

I would of course need deck control so RS422 on deck is needed.

I had read on the threads that you have to do the pulldown thru 3rd party software for the HV30... is that true?
 
Getting straight 24p out of the hv30 can only be done through the HDMI and using Adobe Onlocation to record. You maybe able to have a Firestore setup with the HV30 to record to, but I'm sure you don't want contestants having to work with a camera and Firestore harddrive attached.

Once the footage is on tape then you are stuck with the HV30's flagless pulldown so you'll have to use a program like TMPGenc or DVFilm Maker to remove the pulldown. Don't know why Canon made it slightly more difficult to shoot 24p with the HV20/HV30...maybe just so it wouldn't be any more powerful than it already is. I just sold my HV20 and one of the reasons was because of the added processing of removing the pulldown.

Best,
Andy
 
Last edited:
I did the free HV20 pulldown method for a while but was always upset with the large file size and poor playback.

I decieded to invest in TMpegenc Express and I love it, I can remove the 24p and compress out to whatever I want, (except DVCproHD) $99 and it's worth every penny.

I recompress the files straight back to MPEG-2 native 23.976 files and it still looks great.

Good luck
 
I'm moving over to NeoScene right now, I just finished shooting a Documentary for someone and we're going with a cineform workflow.
 
Back
Top