HV3 capture direct to HD?

cdbourbon

Active member
Have a friend who has to shoot a mind numbing amount of lectures (200 solid hours+) and I'm unwilling to subject my cameras to that kind of wear. I suggested he buy the HV3 and capture directly to an external drive. Is it possible to do that with this camera and bypass going to tape at all?

I'm trying to eliminate his having to capture to his NLE from tape.

Thanks,

--msg
 
Have a friend who has to shoot a mind numbing amount of lectures (200 solid hours+) and I'm unwilling to subject my cameras to that kind of wear. I suggested he buy the HV3 and capture directly to an external drive. Is it possible to do that with this camera and bypass going to tape at all?

I'm trying to eliminate his having to capture to his NLE from tape.

Thanks,

--msg

He can buy a hard drive based camcorder instead of tape based such as HF10/100
 
I am actually wondering the same thing. I have the hv20, and i hate having to wait for it to capture. I also have a massive LaCie external hard drive that has firewire 400 and 800 connections. I was wondering if any one knows a way to capture directly to the hard drive. Is there a workaround, I could do, or would i have to use my laptop as middle point. Either way is fine, but i like my little cam, and i dont want to switch to a hard drive camera, the next switch i make will be a hvx200 likely, i like the p2 technology. Anyway, any idea?
 
Does the HV20 have a firewire port? If so you can use your NLE as a middle point to capture direct to disk.

You would go into your capture screen of your NLE and select your camera as a source. Click capture now and record what you need to.

Simple as that.
 
Does the HV20 have a firewire port? If so you can use your NLE as a middle point to capture direct to disk.

You would go into your capture screen of your NLE and select your camera as a source. Click capture now and record what you need to.

Simple as that.

Yes, like all MiniDV tape based camcorders, HV20 has a firewire port. What you are suggesting is possible but you need your camcorder to be connected to a computer at all times preferably to a laptop. Using a hard drive based camcorder is more feasible IMO.
 
Back
Top