HV20 for Production use?

This thing shoots in SD as well, yes? Does it shoot 24p in SD?

As has been said, no 24p in SD. However, SD footage is very good, significantly better than the VX2100 that I use. The HV20 lacks the low light sensitivity of the VX2100, but in adequate light it is quite impressive.
 
There is no 24p in DV however if you shoot 24p HDV and downconvert to SD using DV lock it is still 24p with the pulldown. So once the pulldown is removed, it is 24p DV.
 
Hello all! It's been a while since I've been back to this thread, but I thought I would come by and drop a quick update. I DID end up getting the HV20, and needless to say, I am very impressed with this camera. Is it limited compared to the bigger cameras? No doubt. I think that if the filmmaker is smart with their movement of the camera, and using a good lighting scheme, along with whatever color correction in post, they can get a really sweet look. I am still doing my own "R&D", but thus far, I love it. I have a few short scripts that I will use to really test this thing, and hopefully, it will turn out well. Best of luck to you all, and thanks for the advice! Let's shoot something!:kali:
 
Greetings all! Here is my question for you all: How would you rate the Canon HV20 as the main camera for short/feature film work. Low-budget indie-style of course. I am not so much obsessed with which camera I use, but the final result I can achieve. From what I have seen? This camera is brilliant. Especially with the addition of the lens adapters that are available, plus the usual good lighting/color correction. Any thoughts?
Check out a dressed up HV20 with a medium format adapter attached and a modified screen as a viewfinder ( flipped ). Forget what people think of your camera and what it looks like , it's what you do with it that's important.

www.freewebs.com/wvargas
 
I agree Winston! Hey I did get a chance to check out your adapter site. What are your prices like? Best of luck with that!
 
I have been really happy with the HV20 and used it with the Redrock M2 on several projects, including one for national broadcast. A recent project we made, entitled Writers Block, shot with the HV20 and Redrock, is currently on the main page over at www.ithentic.com.

(re-pasting my reply only cuz i finally figured out how you guys do the banner signatures...took me a few tries cuz i'm dim)
 
I have been really happy with the HV20 and used it with the Redrock M2 on several projects, including one for national broadcast. A recent project we made, entitled Writers Block, shot with the HV20 and Redrock, is currently on the main page over at www.ithentic.com.

(re-pasting my reply only cuz i finally figured out how you guys do the banner signatures...took me a few tries cuz i'm dim)


So that was YOU who did that piece! I saw it a while back and I loved it. I picked up a DIY 35mm lens adapter, and while it isn't a Brevis or a Redrock, I am looking forward to testing it out. I am still in the "R&D" phase, but I do have a few short scripts I will test soon. Again, good stuff with Writer's Block!
 
The price of the adapter is $749.95 and the lenses are available from about $80.00 for the 80mm F/2.8 and up from there for the wider lenses.
 
Jack do you have any ideas on how to compress properly HDV material to go on Vimeo.com in Hi Res. I have some footage but have had no luck on the proper compression. Everyone wants footage of my Prodofa medium format adapter, but I am having problems posting it.. any ideas???

Winston
 
It is likely that the great footage you have seen has been from controlled shooting.
Documentary shooting is often where you will most appreciate lots of manual controls (not found on the HV20)
If you are working on a documentary, and shooting in standard def, I think you will get better images with more manual control. Just my opinion...
Please check out documentary style shooting with the HV20 and the Pro Optic 645 adapter, www.vimeo.com/847176
to check camera setup www.freewebs.com/wvargas
 
Hello all! It's been a while since I've been back to this thread, but I thought I would come by and drop a quick update. I DID end up getting the HV20, and needless to say, I am very impressed with this camera. Is it limited compared to the bigger cameras? No doubt. I think that if the filmmaker is smart with their movement of the camera, and using a good lighting scheme, along with whatever color correction in post, they can get a really sweet look. I am still doing my own "R&D", but thus far, I love it. I have a few short scripts that I will use to really test this thing, and hopefully, it will turn out well. Best of luck to you all, and thanks for the advice! Let's shoot something!:kali:
I personally really like the image. I had some doubts at first (I gave up my DVX100 for this and the adapter and lens) but I was very impressed. I do get some strobing issues every once and awhile but I know there's a remedy for it but I have to work on it. By the there's a great HV20 tutorial here for HV20 users: http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?t=1605

Check out a dressed up HV20 with a medium format adapter attached and a modified screen as a viewfinder ( flipped ). Forget what people think of your camera and what it looks like , it's what you do with it that's important.

www.freewebs.com/wvargas
Dude that's insane!!!! I'm getting twoneil's 35mm adapter (You can see that here:
http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?t=1605 ) for the Nikkon lens. I already found a nice lens for it and he says he's assembling the adapter now.

-Nate
 
Last edited:
I personally really like the image. I had some doubts at first (I gave up my DVX100 for this and the adapter and lens) but I was very impressed. I do get some strobing issues every once and awhile but I know there's a remedy for it but I have to work on it. By the there's a great HV20 tutorial here for HV20 users: http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?t=1605


Dude that's insane!!!! I'm getting twoneil's 35mm adapter (You can see that here:
http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?t=1605 ) for the Nikkon lens. I already found a nice lens for it and he says he's assembling the adapter now.

-Nate

Nate, you will REALLY love Twoneil's adapter. I can't speak on behalf of the aforementioned adapter, or any other one, but I have the one that Twoneil produces, and it works great. My advice? If or when you get it, add some kind of macro/achromat lens to it. Trust me on that one!
 
This is a great thread .I have and use an HV20.
I use it at a second digital camera on a feature which camera one "A" is a 35mm film camera .
I recently used the canon hv 20 on a standard def video shot for a client .
We swapped out the dvx100 a for the hv20 because the hv20 "sees " red numbers on a digial read out where as the dvx100a turns the red numbers to mush .
It is reassuring to hear that people are getting results from their Canon hv20 work flow .
My question is -to anyone here -
SHOULD I BUY ANOTHER HV20? Or has there been a comparable consumer hi def camera which has shown up and is better?
Thanks for some feed back on this question .
Regards
Bruce
 
It is not better than hv20 but if you prefer a tapeless camcorder and don't mind working with AVCHD check out Canon HF10.
 
Bruce, since the HV20 is a discontinued model, you can find some great deals! I bought my local Circuit City's last HV20 today for $294.

This is my second HV20; I'm going to mount it (permanently) to a Letus Mini.
 
Bruce, since the HV20 is a discontinued model, you can find some great deals! I bought my local Circuit City's last HV20 today for $294.

This is my second HV20; I'm going to mount it (permanently) to a Letus Mini.

How the heck did you do that. Was it a display unit. What a deal.
 
Back
Top