HV20 24p Cadence

Aroon_Narayanan

Well-known member
I know this is a noobish question, but I'd like to edit native 24p from the HV20 in Vegas. I read about this convoluted processes one could use, employing Vegas and VirtualDub, to get this native 24p. My question is whether the cadence remains constant throught the tape, or if it restarts each time you press the record button. I'm pretty sure it's the latter, but I want to be certain. Your answers will help me determine how I edit/process my clips.

Thanks!
 
The cadence is different each time you stop the roll. Canon loves us...that and not including flags on the footage.
 
one of the advantages of Final Cut Studio is that you can reverse telecine HV20 footage and it determines the cadence automatically.
 
What I do is, before importing my clips to vegas, I use TMPGenc 4 Xpress which can detect the cadence and remove the pulldown. You can import all of your clips and remove the pulldown at once. Then edit your 24p clips in vegas.
 
with this question in mind, anyone care to take a crack at my question? ( i got your answer vsansal thanks )

"another quick question, videos are looking superb. but noticing that the new files are slightly longer than the originals. I have the correct frame rate and all, but am curious to know if it is slowing the footage down.

original footage without the pull down removal: 36.15 seconds
after going through tmpgenc 4 xpress: 37.18 seconds

which is 97.23 % of the duration. Over the course of something longer, there would be a huge difference."
 
Back
Top