HPX170 music performance

DM_rider

Veteran
VIDEO REMOVED
Taking down the video until the band releases it.

Shot this in about 5 takes. Turned out pretty good for under an hour of shooting. I wish I would have had more time to light it, but the band was in a hurry so I had to compromise. Shot in cine d, everything zeroed out, except for the master ped which was set at -12.

A few shots from the shoot
_DSC0983.jpg


_DSC0988.jpg


_DSC1018.jpg


_DSC1020.jpg


_DSC1028.jpg
 
Last edited:
Awesome awesome stuff man.

Soo,

is your pedestal usually that low? Do you find that reduced noise?

Will lowering the saturation in camera reduce noise?
 
Awesome awesome stuff man.

Soo,

is your pedestal usually that low? Do you find that reduced noise?

Will lowering the saturation in camera reduce noise?

I shot this very flat because I was curious what it would do to the image noise wise. It did help a bit. I had some noise of course, that showed up in the wood paneling, and any other spots where the mid tones fell into the shadows a bit. I just think that if you shoot in cine d, expect some noise to show up. At least that's been my experience with it.

As far as the pedestal goes, I'm going to start shooting with it between -12 and 0 for a while and see what results I get.
 
That was a pretty cool video.. any reason they did a cover instead of an original?
Also how did the band go about getting the audio for the video? Were they recording their instruments to pro tools and mixed it later or what exactly?

Great work mate, can't wait to see more stuff like this.
 
That was a pretty cool video.. any reason they did a cover instead of an original?
Also how did the band go about getting the audio for the video? Were they recording their instruments to pro tools and mixed it later or what exactly?

Great work mate, can't wait to see more stuff like this.

I have no idea why they did a cover. I just showed up and shot it, haha.

As far as how it was recorded, one room mic was setup and another mic was placed in front of the singer. They were both going through an Mbox into pro tools I believe. It was a pretty simple, fast, and less than ideal setup. I didn't have anything to do with the recording end of things. I had originally wanted to run a line out of the mbox right into my camera, but for some reason we couldn't get it to work. So I just grabbed audio with the camera mic and had to mix and match in post (fun). For the time and resources we had, I think it turned out much better than I had expected. I didn't know anything about the shoot until I showed up either.

I had the audio mixed and "treated" after I had it edited to video. Compared to the original unmixed track, it's like night and day. The original recording wasn't to great to begin with.
 
Oh wow, that sounds a bit more fuss than I thought it would have been (mixing the audio). When I did a similar acoustic shoot the band took care of it all (recording wise) and then sent it to their label to mix it professionally... so I guess I lucked out with that. Just wondering how other people go about getting the audio for future projects I might do...

Once again, great work! Should be proud of what you got done with such little time and planning!
 
Wow! The Pro lights make such a difference. The lead singer and keyboardist really pop, whereas the guy in back seems pretty flat.
 
Wow! The Pro lights make such a difference. The lead singer and keyboardist really pop, whereas the guy in back seems pretty flat.

ugh ya... that was one thing I was hoping no one would point out, haha. If I had more time, I would have set some flags, and put up another light for him. Oh well, I'll just have to make it happen next time.
 
loved the video
and love sing it loud.
I played a show with their singer's brother's band a while back
keep it up!

-Brock
 
Back
Top