How they do that?

That is very cool.


I'm going to guess it's done in post. - But some of those shots would require some serious uprezzing - or over-rez photography.

Going by the ramps, I'm guessing it was probabaly shot on film, which would give lots of format options to overshoot for the "pan&twist&scan" in post.

- Mikko
 
many excellent effects are done creatively, happening in the conception/shooting and not in post. (working on too many shoestring budgets will force that creative part out!) maybe that is what this is. from one viewing, i'm guessing that the camera is on some sort of axis in those moments. perhaps fixed to a pole of some type. if you notice, the motions involve a pivot of something: the arm bringing the bottle up to the mouth, the guitar swiveling, a cup shaking. they are all circular type motions that revolve around a staid axis. The camera seems to move in tandem with the physical motion, also revolving on an axis. When the two motions sync up with the camera fixed on that axis, yet the rest of the room moving in contrast, it produces this strange motion/panning feeling.
 
wut dod u meen, i watched the video and didnt notice any thing special.....u meeen when the camera follows the guys hand when he turns the nob, and that stuff?
 
That was a very interesting effect, how it was done was by framing the shot about 8 feet away, cropping it forward and using a wheel-roll effect in either final cut or motion. It's not that hard but I'll admit I hadn't thought to use it before. It's a very interesting and unique way to frame a shot.
 
I don't think that was accomplished on-set as an analog effect. I'd bet that they did what Mikko suggested, shooting film and leaving huge areas to the sides of their eventual frame to insert the motion tracks through the [cropped] space.

Imagine if you just had a very wide, very high-definition shot of the subject - tons of room all around in the static shot. In post, you'd almost create an anchor point as you do for more complicated keyed shots. When the point moves, the virtual SFX camera follows and the dutch angles are simply introduced as key frames wherever desired.

That's my guess.

e
 
That's what I thought guys. Thanks. I like watching music videos, they seem to try new and more techniques and then I try to figure it out and match it or create something else. But sharing back and forth these ideas is the best class room you can get. Thanks again.
 
I don't think that was accomplished on-set as an analog effect. I'd bet that they did what Mikko suggested, shooting film and leaving huge areas to the sides of their eventual frame to insert the motion tracks through the [cropped] space.

Imagine if you just had a very wide, very high-definition shot of the subject - tons of room all around in the static shot. In post, you'd almost create an anchor point as you do for more complicated keyed shots. When the point moves, the virtual SFX camera follows and the dutch angles are simply introduced as key frames wherever desired.

That's my guess.

e
Interesting. I guess I think more in-camera, than I do in terms of post. I suppose your idea would be easier, less time-consuming, too....
 
I am pretty sure that was done in post. I've done easier versions of movements like this, but you have to blow the image up so much that you really see a quality loss, but they can probably get away with it since it was probably shot on film to begin with.
 
I'm gonna take a guess that it was a little bit of axis rotation on the camera's part and a bit of After Effects to smooth out the movement with motion tracking.

The over rezzing would work too, but if you want to do it for cheaper, and even on a DVX for whatever purpose, Video Copilot has a nifty tutorial that explains how to do the effect. It's definitely something I have begun to incorporate into my music videos.
 
Yip, definitely looks like motion tracking on Shake or AE because of the motion blur on the subject (and lack thereof on the background).

Let me try a quick test on Shake.

Edit:
Here's a really rough test - http://media.putfile.com/stabilizetest
After shooting it, I realized that having a plain background defeats the purpose of the effect. Oh well...

Edit2:
Argh, stupid putfile converting my video to flv... I really need to get a server.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top