How many years must we wait for shallow DOF in Camcorder under $5k? Frustrating!

Katek

New member
I have been shopping online for months (for years I've been browsing, but finally ready to comit) for an HD camcorder for under $5k that will allow depth of field manipulation. I have watched numerous reviews on youtube, vimeo, scoured forums and online reviews...and I'm coming up empty-handed!

I ordered the JVC-HM150 this week with a Letus adapter....as I'm pulling all of the components out of the box....I'm realizing how cumbersome this get up will be. In order to create DOF...I will have to add a few lbs with the letus adapter, rods to support the adapter, the length and weight of an add'l lens, tripod....all of a sudden this camera doesnt seem like the best option.

I considered the Canon XF100 ($3k), but now that I have the JVC...i realize that neither are going to meet my expectations. I increased my budget and started looking at options in the $5k range.

Wants: Manual settings preferably not buried in LCD menu, XLR inputs, compact size/lightweight, a decent sized chip for depth of field, auto zoom, write to SD card -no DV tapes - why is this DV tape technology still on the market?? As TVs, computers, cameras, phones, and music players improve tremendously from year to year...it seems that camcorders still have a long way to go.

I've ruled out dSLRs and transition cameras like the Panasonic AF100 and Sony FS100.

I'm wondering if the Sony EX1r would be a good compromise?

I'm going to return the JVC....just not sure what the best move is. We must be on the brink of something great...but how many more years will it be before we get there!
 

Er. You don't have to wait anymore? ...

Wants:
________________________________________AF100_________________FS100
Budget Range - $5K
___________________________New W/out Lens_______New W/out Lens
Manual settings preferably not buried in LCD menu
__As Much As any Other___As Much As any Other
XLR inputs, compact size/lightweight
_______________Pretty Much_________Even More So
a decent sized chip for depth of field
___________________√_____________________√
auto zoom,
_____________________________________No____________________No
write to SD card
__________________________________√_____________________√

I've ruled out dSLRs and transition cameras like the Panasonic AF100 and Sony FS100.

LOL. Why?
 
I ruled out the AF100 and FS100 because they aren't very compatible with my stockpile of canon lenses. There are no aperture rings on the Canon lenses I own. No auto zoom option- I'm afraid my zooms would look choppy. The FS100 kit lens is SLOOOOWWWW at F3.5-6.3. I really don't want to invest in additional lenses when I already have so much invested in Canon. I came across the Canon 300 in my search and almost choked when I saw the $20k price tag :)
 
I spent a lot of time researching the AF100- the price has come down to around $3800 w/ mail in rebate...which sounds great! If the cam body could control the lenses I already have and auto zoom was an option, I might have gone for it.
 
Oh well, my Canons are old...before video was an option. I spent too many years as a wedding/studio photographer. The last Canon I bought was the 5D.
 
I plan to use this camcorder primarily for family events/play but I would like a nice one that I could use for more serious work if time allows (human rights interviews/volunteer work). So I could probably be fine with a cheap Handycam set to Auto but at the same time, I'm ready for a new challenge and would like to learn the ins and outs of video/manual settings (i learned to never trust auto!) and have the ability to create quality footage.

Do companies tend to release new items at certain times of year? Before the NAB convention in April? Just wondering if I should hold out a little longer. Getting a little frustrated waiting for the camera that has it all at a price I can afford.
 
Why not a 5D markII or cheaper? Audio on board with magic lantern....
I've made more with it than all the other pro cameras I've used combined.
Plus its $2k and you have the lenses.
 
I agree with thekreative.

If you want to run and gun, you could go with a 60D that could produce some great video visuals, and they're not too bad as still photography cameras too, which you would appreciate with your experience in still photography.
 
Thanks everyone. I think I've made a decision. There is nothing that exists in my price range that has the options I'm looking for so I'm going to settle for the Canon XF100. I'm going to exchange the JVC for it next week. It has a couple more pro options and a wider angle lens. It's a little lighter and has a neck strap, which would be nice. To create DOF, I'll just separate my subject from the background as much as possible and zoom to the 300mm range. Really the best I can do for under $5k.
 
Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I think I've made a decision. There is nothing that exists in my price range that has the options I'm looking for so I'm going to settle for the Sony XF100. I'm going to exchange the JVC for it next week. It has a couple more pro options and a wider angle lens. It's a little lighter and has a neck strap, which would be nice. To create DOF, I'll just separate my subject from the background as much as possible and zoom to the 300mm range. Really the best I can do for under $5k.

WTF is a Sony XF100?

You mean the Canon? That camera has a 1/3 sensor, so you are starting from the worst place to get shallow DOF.

Even a Sony VG20 would make a hell of a lot more sense if what you're actually looking for is shallow DOF in a camcorder under 5K.
 
Yes, I meant Canon XF100. 1/2 inch sensor is in the EX1R which I considered, but it's just too bulky for what I intend to use it for. Thanks for the VG20 recommendation. I may take another look at it. It doesnt have XLR inputs and I prefer the ergonomics of prosumer models, but it is less expensive than those i've been considering. I may get the XF100 and a Canon t2i to achieve shallow DOF. That may be the best route. The T2i surprisingly is only $500. I will have to spend a little time researching. Thanks for all the replies.
 
Yes, I meant Canon XF100. 1/2 inch sensor is in the EX1R which I considered, but it's just too bulky for what I intend to use it for. Thanks for the VG20 recommendation. I may take another look at it. It doesnt have XLR inputs and I prefer the ergonomics of prosumer models, but it is less expensive than those i've been considering. I may get the XF100 and a Canon t2i to achieve shallow DOF. That may be the best route. The T2i surprisingly is only $500. I will have to spend a little time researching. Thanks for all the replies.

If you don't want the Sony FS100 or the Panasonic AF100, which are the closest things to a "prosumer style camcorder body" with a large sensor, then yeah a combo route of DSLR/prosumer camcorder would be the best bet. In that respect, you kind of get the best of both worlds...you can use the camcorder for set ups, tracking shots with lots of motion, deep focus shots....and just use the DSLR for the close ups and "wow" shallow dof shots, and maybe some low light too (without having to frankenrig it, since you have audio and all the other stuff on the camcorder)
 
Back
Top