Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    How many years must we wait for shallow DOF in Camcorder under $5k? Frustrating!
    I have been shopping online for months (for years I've been browsing, but finally ready to comit) for an HD camcorder for under $5k that will allow depth of field manipulation. I have watched numerous reviews on youtube, vimeo, scoured forums and online reviews...and I'm coming up empty-handed!

I ordered the JVC-HM150 this week with a Letus adapter....as I'm pulling all of the components out of the box....I'm realizing how cumbersome this get up will be. In order to create DOF...I will have to add a few lbs with the letus adapter, rods to support the adapter, the length and weight of an add'l lens, tripod....all of a sudden this camera doesnt seem like the best option.

I considered the Canon XF100 ($3k), but now that I have the JVC...i realize that neither are going to meet my expectations. I increased my budget and started looking at options in the $5k range.

Wants: Manual settings preferably not buried in LCD menu, XLR inputs, compact size/lightweight, a decent sized chip for depth of field, auto zoom, write to SD card -no DV tapes - why is this DV tape technology still on the market?? As TVs, computers, cameras, phones, and music players improve tremendously from year to year...it seems that camcorders still have a long way to go.

I've ruled out dSLRs and transition cameras like the Panasonic AF100 and Sony FS100.

I'm wondering if the Sony EX1r would be a good compromise?

I'm going to return the JVC....just not sure what the best move is. We must be on the brink of something great...but how many more years will it be before we get there!

2. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar

Er. You don't have to wait anymore? ...

Wants:
    ________________________________________AF100_________________FS100
    Budget Range - $5K
    ___________________________New W/out Lens_______New W/out Lens
    Manual settings preferably not buried in LCD menu
    __As Much As any Other___As Much As any Other
    XLR inputs, compact size/lightweight
    _______________Pretty Much_________Even More So
    a decent sized chip for depth of field

I've ruled out dSLRs and transition cameras like the Panasonic AF100 and Sony FS100.

LOL. Why?
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniel Stanley View Post

Why?
    I'm wondering the same thing.

4. Collapse Details
    I ruled out the AF100 and FS100 because they aren't very compatible with my stockpile of canon lenses. There are no aperture rings on the Canon lenses I own. No auto zoom option- I'm afraid my zooms would look choppy. The FS100 kit lens is SLOOOOWWWW at F3.5-6.3. I really don't want to invest in additional lenses when I already have so much invested in Canon. I came across the Canon 300 in my search and almost choked when I saw the $20k price tag

5. Collapse Details
    I'm more shocked to know that you already have Canon lenses and presumably a Canon DSLR somewhere in your collection of equipment.

6. Collapse Details
    I spent a lot of time researching the AF100- the price has come down to around $3800 w/ mail in rebate...which sounds great! If the cam body could control the lenses I already have and auto zoom was an option, I might have gone for it.

7. Collapse Details
    Oh well, my Canons are old...before video was an option. I spent too many years as a wedding/studio photographer. The last Canon I bought was the 5D.

8. Collapse Details
    I plan to use this camcorder primarily for family events/play but I would like a nice one that I could use for more serious work if time allows (human rights interviews/volunteer work). So I could probably be fine with a cheap Handycam set to Auto but at the same time, I'm ready for a new challenge and would like to learn the ins and outs of video/manual settings (i learned to never trust auto!) and have the ability to create quality footage.

Do companies tend to release new items at certain times of year? Before the NAB convention in April? Just wondering if I should hold out a little longer. Getting a little frustrated waiting for the camera that has it all at a price I can afford.

9. Collapse Details
    Why not a 5D markII or cheaper? Audio on board with magic lantern....
    I've made more with it than all the other pro cameras I've used combined.
    Plus its $2k and you have the lenses.

10. Collapse Details
    I agree with thekreative.

If you want to run and gun, you could go with a 60D that could produce some great video visuals, and they're not too bad as still photography cameras too, which you would appreciate with your experience in still photography.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast