how is hv20 footage for compositing?

kiyong

Well-known member
does the way the hv20 handles 24p affect compositing? i'd be using after effects to mess with the footage.
 
I suppose that depends on whether or not you intend to conform it to actual 24 frames per second or leave it embedded in 60i. I don't do much compositing, but my understanding is that progressive footage is the best option.

Personally I always convert my HV20 footage to 24p. Even just to edit with.

What NLE are you using?
 
i'd be using final cut and after effects. i haven't done too much compositing yet either (i just signed up for a class). i read that the hv20 doesn't have flags to properly pull the 24 frames? is that correct? or is there a workaround of some kind?
 
i'd be using final cut and after effects. i haven't done too much compositing yet either (i just signed up for a class). i read that the hv20 doesn't have flags to properly pull the 24 frames? is that correct? or is there a workaround of some kind?

Yes it is true, HV20 doesn't have flags but it is not a problem for you since you have after effects which can detect the cadence and remove the pulldown.
 
Hmmmm... I did not know that about after effects....I'll have to give that a shot. I just converted it with compressor using the reverse telecine option outputting to ProRes.
 
Long time listner, first time caller.

Just tried using some footage I shot on vacation to mess with (digitally).
I shot in 24p cine mode.
Recovered the 24p version into ProRes422 using Apple Compressor Reverse Telecine.
Took the footage and tracked it.
Tracking is supposed to be tricky on account of the rolling shutter issue, but I didn't see any problem, despite it being a *very* shaky hand-held shot.

Comped on an obligatory space ship with Lightwave. Rendering directly onto the background plate.

As a first go, everything worked better than expected.

C.
 
Russ Andersson, maker of SynthEyes, recommends avoiding all rolling-shutter CMOS cameras for compositing work.
http://cybermessageboard.fatcow.com/ssonte/viewtopic.php?t=478

Will he be lending me cash to upgrade?

Seriously, as long as the track works and the outcome looks good enough, I don't really care.

A camera that lets me do this for 500 UK pounds is simply amazing.

http://homepage.mac.com/brilliantdigital/.public/falconpier264.mov

(This URL should now work!!)
 
Last edited:
Wow. Scathing review of the CMOS sensor and the rolling shutter. Very useful information. But the rhetoric is coming from a expectation of perfection, which I think would be a good perspective when dealing with more expensive cameras, but you get what you pay for with this machine in my opinion.
 
Back
Top