How about a speed ramping RED

mico

Veteran
Is the RED team considering a speed ramping function. I would love to be able to vary the 120fps form 0 to 120 in camera.
I know this will also mean also including an auto exposure pull too. If the arris can do it I hope RED will too.
Go Red go.
 
Last edited:
this would be pretty cool.. but I dont know how many people actually ramp during a shot besides the front leadup.. which can be done very easily in post. I hated ramping with film cause of the exposure nightmares, Im much happier now adays shooting at 60 or whatever digitally (varicam or HVX) and taking it into post to ramp.
 
Because of the degree of coordination required in matching the actual ramp to the action in the shot- this is hardly ever done in camera. As someone who's done speed ramps on 35mm and on a VariCam I can tell ya it's a real pain in the butt. Shooting full slowmo and then ramping in post is way easier and the results look identical. Remember in-camera speed ramping was a lot more necessary before speed changes were easily done in digital post.

Noah
 
you just use time envelopes to compress the frames, going backwards NLE's just throw out the extra frames.
 
Twixtor is good but it ramps artificially, meaning it makes up frames to create an effect. With the RED camera if you shoot at 120 frames and in post change that to a 24 frame base and then ramp it either way, you dont need to create anything.

To see an example of this, You can see something I shot called "Fists of Dawn" here : http://purposelabs.com/ (its a little cheezy)

I shot at 240 frames constant for that whole little short and just ramped when needed, mostly ramping to 24 frames.

On the same page you can see RAMPING HANK, which was same idea but ramped from a 1000fps base.
 
Some very cool clips. Now this is a question for Noah, How in FCP would you ramp footage to a spacific frame rate? So say I shot with the HVX at 60P an then wanted to ramp from 60 to 48 to 24 to 22. How would be the best way to do this?
 
Two basic ways in FCP. Easiest it set keyframes for Speed in the Motion tab. Other is the Time Remap tool. You'll find it in the tool bar- looks like a clock. I find the Time Remap very hard to use so keyframing may be easier for you. Read up a bit in the manual too- there are more complex ways to alter clip speed.

Noah
 
"Twixtor is good but it ramps artificially, meaning it makes up frames to create an effect. With the RED camera if you shoot at 120 frames and in post change that to a 24 frame base and then ramp it either way, you dont need to create anything."

True. But You need a lot of light to shoot at 120fps (not to mention 1000fps!). Not always You have the space or power to set upp a couple of 2000W HMI´s. In those cases a program like Twixtor is handy to have. But the result is better Your way. :)

...and "Fists of Dawn" ROCKS by the way! I love it! :)

What did You shoot it with?

Regards
Hans
 
Last edited:
imgentertainment@mac said:
Thanks Noah, But do you just go off of the look you want? or is there a way to know the exact frame rate that your at?

Well it's very easy to ramp into a lower frame rate as you're just throwing away frames. Going higher than what you shot is a lot harder. So if you want to do a ramp I suggest simply shooting at the highest possible frame rate. That way you can ramp down to whatever you feel looks right in post.

Noah
 
Back
Top