Hit em where it counts and go for the refund on FCPX...hear me out.

Hit em where it counts and go for the refund on FCPX...hear me out.

  • Yes

    Votes: 36 62.1%
  • No

    Votes: 22 37.9%

  • Total voters
    58
I think the fact that you can import iMovie projects and NOT Final Cut projects is a pretty clear indicator of where this software came from and is aimed at.
 
That's not an answer. How is FCP different than simply iMovie Pro?

You asked a similar question in another thread. I pointed you in one direction but you didn't respond. If you are too lazy to read the volumes of information out there, I'm sorry but I'm not your research assistant.

Back to working for me. Enjoy.
 
You asked a similar question in another thread. I pointed you in one direction but you didn't respond. If you are too lazy to read the volumes of information out there, I'm sorry but I'm not your research assistant.

Here is the response you are referring to:

Not sure if that's a gotcha question but the answer is a yes and no. While mastering iMovie 11 will give you a heads up on the basic principles of the interface, the two part company there.

I found this helpful.

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/434-the-top-ten-editors-concerns-about-final-cut-pro-x

That in no way answers the question. Simply more asserting and then a link to a site that talks about the "Top Ten Concerns" not, "Why FCP X is NOT iMovie Pro".
 
Last edited:
Apple has sold something like 2mil+ licenses for FCP over the last 10 years or so. In the beginning, FCP was priced well over $1000 and has ended up a bit below. Using an average sell price of $1000, they have generated over 2 billion in revenue. Along with that 2bil, they have sold high end hardware to run it, with many users having both a tower and laptop + accessories. Now these aren't iPhone or iPad numbers, but not many companies are going to walk away from that type of revenue, even Apple.

Besides video, I also use 3D modeling software, and in either case (system software too), I would never be an early adopter for critical projects. IMHO, if you expect complicated software to be a perfect and finished product on the first day, you will usually be disappointed.

Grant
 
If you were making Baseball Mitts, would you rather your market be the 750 major league baseball players or the 2.6 million little league players?

Yeah, but if those 750 major league baseball players yells to high heaven that Baseball Mitt X sucks then 2.5 million of the little league players will instead buy Baseball Mitt Premiere. This may well go down as Apple's worst marketing move ever.
 
Yeah, but if those 750 major league baseball players yells to high heaven that Baseball Mitt X sucks then 2.5 million of the little league players will instead buy Baseball Mitt Premiere. This may well go down as Apple's worst marketing move ever.

Except that the average FCP consumer doesn't really care what the pros use. They care about what's easiest for them to use and what fits in their budget. There aren't famous (to the non-industry folks) editors like there are famous actors and directors; the average person couldn't tell you one editor who worked on a movie they see in the theater. So the promotion of or disparagement by professional editors really won't make a difference. You have to realize how much larger the market is than industry editors.
 
Refunders, what happens to the app after they issue the refund? Does it get sucked off your harddrive by the app store? Does it just stop working? I'm just really curious.
 
I also requested and received a refund, for FCP X as well as Motion 5 and Compressor 4. I actually like the new interface for the most part and welcomed a lot of the changes, new features, and speed. However, my disappointment comes from many areas which I detailed to them, and these are features and capabilities that were available in the previous version of the software (FCP 7):

1. No true dual screen editing.
2. No separate Viewer and Canvas. I don't know how Apple thinks professional editors don't want to windows for viewing clips and the timeline. What I would have really liked is being able to have as many viewers as I want and being able to assign the source of each (clips, timeline, etc.).
3. Scopes take up half the viewer/canvas. That's just plain stupid. In addition, the interface and layout is not customizable.
4. No OMF export capability unless you buy Automatic Duck, which is nearly double the cost of FCP X itself!
5. No import of previous FCP projects. This wouldn't be a big deal if Apple hadn't stopped all support of the FCP 7. You cannot download the ProApps updates anymore either. Sure, Software Update still works for the moment, but at what point will that stop working and what do you do if you need to reinstall FCS 3 for some reason and can't update it to fix the bugs and such. Also, you won't be able to install FCS 3 on a new computer that comes with Lion as Lion will not have Rosetta and the FCS 3 installer uses Rosetta.
6. No XML import/export. This makes it impossible to send a project to any color correction software, whether it be Color, Resolve, etc. And no, the color correction tools in FCP X are not nearly close to being on par with Apple Color.
7. Terrible media management system. This isn't really a missing feature that FCP 7 had, but FCP 7 had a much better system than FCP X in my opinion. I don't want all my media from all my projects AND all my projects being loaded every time I start FCP X. And the organization is just lame. And the films I edit are not "Events".
8. Save and Save As are just not there. If the app crashes and it hasn't auto-saved yet, you lose your work. And you have no control over how often it autosaves. And it's buggy and constantly crashes on both of my Macs (a brand new MBP 17" and a current model MBAir), which obviously presents a problem.

Those are what affects me personally. I don't care about tape output and some other complaints. I requested a refund for Motion 5 and Compressor 4 as well because without FCP X I don't have a use for them, especially Compressor 4. I only bought them because I wrongfully assumed Apple would have done the right thing with FCP X. Obviously they completely blew it.

If Apple fixes the problems and adds the features that I feel are missing for what I need, then I'll consider buying again. Otherwise I've already started learning Premiere Pro CS5.5 and have found it to have many cool features and abilities that FCP 7 doesn't have. I'm going to look at Avid (which I haven't really used in several years) as well and give that some consideration.

And yes, FCP X, Motion 5, and Compressor 4 still work on both my Macs. They still show in my Purchases list in the App Store as well. I currently have them still installed, but I'm not using them and may delete them (most certainly off my Air), since they are unusable to me.
 
My iPhone works as advertised. My old contacts were not erased. I can still dial using numbers.

The iPhone wasn't advertised as just being able to store contacts and dial numbers. Frankly, my iPhone 3G is almost near unusable since the iOS 4 update.
 
FIGHT BACK Spread the word

FIGHT BACK Spread the word

For those who want FCP X to be improved you have to fight back!

If you bought the software and are unhappy, please, please, please, make sure you go to the App Store and review with only one star. Does it deserve only one star? Maybe not, but it will get apples attention. So give it a one star till apple get's it up to speed.

If your unhappy and have not bought go to the App store and click on reviews with one star and mark them helpful. Anyone with a 5 star mark them unhelpful! All other ratings leave them alone.

This only one of the ways to get Apples attention, you got to spread the word to all the other forums you post on for this to work.

Can you imagine Steve Jobs reaction if FCP got down to a one star rating on the App store? The Sh*t would hit the fan.
 
Last edited:
If you want to improve FCP-X, then use the "provide feedback" button in the menus. Simply giving it a 1 star rating won't tell anyone what you want changed.

this isn't about people's disappointment, it's about getting the work done. Telling Apple what you want changed will help get the work done, giving the app a 1 star rating won't.
 
Also the average person will not plunk down $300 to upgrade iMovie.

Maybe, maybe not. But I can almost guarantee you that there will be more iMovie users that upgrade to FCP X then there would be that would upgrade to a FCP 8 (assuming the old price structure).

If you want to improve FCP-X, then use the "provide feedback" button in the menus. Simply giving it a 1 star rating won't tell anyone what you want changed.

this isn't about people's disappointment, it's about getting the work done. Telling Apple what you want changed will help get the work done, giving the app a 1 star rating won't.

This is correct. If you want to give feedback do it through the proper channels. http://www.apple.com/feedback
 
If you want to improve FCP-X, then use the "provide feedback" button in the menus. Simply giving it a 1 star rating won't tell anyone what you want changed.

this isn't about people's disappointment, it's about getting the work done. Telling Apple what you want changed will help get the work done, giving the app a 1 star rating won't.

Many people feel like Apple ignored what professional editors want and need, in favor of marketing to a larger group of prosumers. That is fine, but people feel like Apple was disingenuous to the professional market at the Supermeet.

Apparently Larry Jordan tried to give some of the same criticism months ago.

http://www.larryjordan.biz/app_bin/wordpress/archives/1514

Can we really sit around and ask for improvement from a company that has shown little regard for our profession? I think people are trying to warn others, not take the easy route and complain with just giving 1 star.
 
I think you're right, but I'm not sure why they couldn't in this case appeal to both. All they needed to do was include the pro import/exporting features and multicam support and we wouldn't be having this discussion. That stuff wouldnt trip up a novice because they don't need it. They could have had everybody on board...

as you state above...if they updated ***pro import/exporting features and multicam***...are you solidly saying that you would be ready to go use it entirely?

david
 
Back
Top