HELP! (new user, be kind)

hotsauce

New member
So recently I've purchased a hvx200.. 2nd hand.
- It came with no CD ROM, manual etc.. I'm just learning from this site & various others as I go.. so be kind.

I've read through the many different workflows, though USB cable seems the cheapest method at the moment.


basically my computer will not recognise the camera device when switched over PC mode
( when plugged in, a notification comes up saying "this device is not recognised" in the bottom right corner of my display)

- I have installed the P2 drivers
- running windows 8.1

please tell me what I'm doing wrong!

any help is appreciated
 
Last edited:
I'm wondering if there's an issue with using windows 8.1..some sort of compatibility issue?

I've been following all the instructions listed on the manual & read majority of the HVXbook from Barry green. I honestly feel like giving up!
 
Sorry, yes sorry for not making that clear..
I am trying to ingest clips from 2 X 16gb P2 cards straight from the camera when connected via USB 2.0 cable

Feeling like giving up and selling this thing!! but there has to be a way..
I contacted the previous owner & he transferred the footage via USB cord using a MAC. so the camera SHOULD be in working order.



the camera came with Barry greens HVX book & have read majority of it.

what I've tried so far:

-Downloaded & installed the specific 64-bit P2 drivers for my operating system
-Installed P2 viewer/P2CMS alternately
-Switched to MCR, held down the button to switch to PC MODE, though it just says "USB DISCONNECT"
-whenever I plug the HVX into the PC a notification pops up in the bottom right corner of the taskbar saying "USB device not recognised"
-Tried updating drivers through device manager etc, still no cigar

Should I be looking into a PCIE P2 card reader instead? I assume it would be a much easier method of transferring.
 
I really think you're doing everything on the camera side correctly, so I think this is a Windows / Camera thing going on. I've been on Mac for years, but if it was 2007 & you were on XP I'd be a lot more help to you.

----

I would try a computer with firewire before buying a PCM-CIA slot. (My wife's Dell laptop has a 4pin firewire jack which I was a little surprised about, so I'd say look around.)

Or can you try an older version of Windows? Or know anyone with a Mac? Or even people used to use netbooks as a transfer device.

Or the USB P2 reader $300 new http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...PCD2GPJ_AJ_PCD2GPJ_Single_Slot_P2_Memory.html or search eBay & get one for cheaper (there is a 5 slot USB 2 on there for $200, which seems like a steal).
 
Have you tried setting OTHER FUNCTIONS>PCMODE>USB DEVICE? Mine totally works fine on Windows 8.1
 
Assuming there is nothing wonky with the cam (and there probably isn't) this is most likely a driver - compatibility issue. Don't know how old the HVX is, but at some point, Panny had a firmware upgrade to this cam so it could run bigger P2 cards. Maybe there a problem between the cams firmware and the newer cpu drivers. Barry knows more about this than anyone, and he is a PC guy, so maybe he'll chime in.

One other suggestion: The cam is also able to upload directly to a powered hard drive, no computer required. I have done this often with my HPX170. That might be an option is you have a loose drive around. Remember, that drive must be externally powered.

Grant
 
what I've tried so far:

-Downloaded & installed the specific 64-bit P2 drivers for my operating system
-Installed P2 viewer/P2CMS alternately
-Switched to MCR, held down the button to switch to PC MODE, though it just says "USB DISCONNECT"
-whenever I plug the HVX into the PC a notification pops up in the bottom right corner of the taskbar saying "USB device not recognised"
-Tried updating drivers through device manager etc, still no cigar.
You haven't mentioned whether you have gone to "Other Functions" and ensured that the "PC Mode" has "USB DEVICE" selected. Maybe it's still set to "1394 DEVICE"
 
So I've chosen to use firewire through a macbook pro instead of the USB cable to my PC. succesfully transferred all clips, I'm stoked!

I had all correct settinga though pc mode & USB device & still didnt work.
Pretty sure the USB port on the camera is busted.
Though thanks for all the help anyhow!
 
Good to know you've found a way. Good luck with the HVX200 - it may be a few years older now, but it's still a good camera.
 
Back
Top