Have You Turned In Your Ballot?

Have You Turned In Your Ballot?

  • YES

    Votes: 17 28.8%
  • NO

    Votes: 42 71.2%

  • Total voters
    59

avatuar

Well-known member
I have not turned in mine yet. I'm really trying to watch everything carefully. I wanted to see how many have voted... So have you voted?
 
I have yet to turn in my ballot. Unfortunately I have only been able to watch about 5 of the films so far. I plan on doing a lot of catch up tomorrow, however.
 
I have quite a few films on my ballot... about 50% finished... still need to watch several, and work on getting some more reviews up (21 out of 56 so far reviewed)
 
I've finished watching all of the films and rating them on my ballot. Now, I'm going through them again to see if my original ratings were what I expected.

I'll probably turn mine in Thursday, Oct. 12.

Do we get to see the ratings for our films? That would be informative, especially if everyone doesn't have time to do individual reviews.
 
I'm finding this tricky to mark.

I'm finding some films I thought were not mind blowing are getting higher overall scores than others I really liked.

What is everyone else here doing? adjust the numbers/categories until we think the overall score reflects that of the film as a whole?
 
Darkline said:
I'm finding this tricky to mark.

I'm finding some films I thought were not mind blowing are getting higher overall scores than others I really liked.

What is everyone else here doing? adjust the numbers/categories until we think the overall score reflects that of the film as a whole?

I'm posting publicly the following I PM'd a dvxuser. Since Darkline had that feeling I thought I'd share my thoughts in case it helps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VFX: for this category I tried to rate all the CG,blood,props and special fx done with the NLEs...anything that influenced the image that didnt have to do with cinematography...

Cinematography: on this one I rated the direction, lights and generally how well they had planned their shots...locations and how you take advantage of them was a factor as well, frames also and angles, excessive use or not....and tried to see which ones were directed like Santa Barbara and which ones like a real movie...

Editing: well this one...I think it has to do with cuts, transitions, how smooth a story is...if there are boring parts...if there are things like that 180 in Dream Com...stuff that left you wondering about the shots...

SOund: my best bit...I couldnt but put a 4-6 to most of them...however in some cases the sound in some movies in comparison was above average so that scored high...I want the same attention to detail people showed in editing/cinematography to have been shown in audio as well...I dont think most people gave much thought to sound

Score: well this one puzzled me....I tried to listen to the music and score...see if they were original...fit the mood and scenes....and if they were worked out well...couldnt stop thinking about the work my brother did so I was very strict on that...I for example, am not fan of the scores Edgen does...they are marvellous but its not my daily cup of coffee...still knowing he really works on them in a professional way and tries to write original pieces I put a high mark on his work...

Screenplay: this one was fun....I tried to keep in mind the horror genre..so mecontentement though a great story, scored low on my ballot since its not horror...and I was also a bit tough on movies whose stories either I couldnt follow with my first viewing or there was no real plot that stood out (like Lost Lake Drive, ok someone's in the house, something happens...all this something is not a script IMHO)

Acting: well...what can I say on this one...I hate forced acting and I am quite tough on people who put non-actors to play parts with lots of dialogue and emotions and screams...if they cant deliver then try something else......its like a beauty contest...if you re not pretty then dont show up (I am so strict only with sound and acting, and believe me, when I did Love which had me going around shooting myself...I tried to be as simple as possible...falling down while looking at the pictures in the living room gave me a sour knee for 1 week since I landed horribly on the floor...check it out one more time and see how funny it is knowing I really landed hard, so I say this coz I prefer to go all the way then exaggerate or force something as I did with trashing my room - actually the lesbian scene with Petro's work works great as acting coz it was not forced, the girls enjoyed it...so I prefer this than something over the top)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seeing my rough ballot as it is I am comfortable with the way marks went. The ones I liked scored high and vice versa. There were some films that I wasnt really interested as a whole like THe Morning After, but breaking it down in categories scored high overall because it had to.

All in all, its not about preference actually but judging objectively. I only used my preference factor when I felt that in some cases movies in certain categories had to score higher because I knew how much work had been made by the film makers and the resources they had in hand....
 
Darkline said:
I'm finding this tricky to mark.

I'm finding some films I thought were not mind blowing are getting higher overall scores than others I really liked.

What is everyone else here doing? adjust the numbers/categories until we think the overall score reflects that of the film as a whole?

I start everyone with 5s and then mark them as I see it but I watch all the films first or otherwise you wind up going back a lot adjusting as you see better films.
I don't I have given 10 across the board to anyone because there is always something that could use work. Of course I give my own that but who doesn't.
 
Aram Bauman said:
I don't I have given 10 across the board to anyone because there is always something that could use work. Of course I give my own that but who doesn't.

I'm no where near done scoring & watching them all yet ... and even further behind on the comments in the threads, because I've been putting everything into a Word.doc that I'll post in all the threads when I'm ready.

No film for me has rec'd 10's across except Jack's, and even that was reduced to a lowly 9 in one category ... otherwise, for me, it's near perfect.

I'll admit that I'm probably biased to some degree with my own films, but I've never ranked it as 10's across, and it's NEVER even ranked the highest on my own sheet ... though I do wonder how many others do this, which also makes me wonder if I'm at a disadvantage for not marking my with straight 10's if others are for their own.

I'd love it if our votes for our own films didn't count ... it would even the playing field then.
 
Virum said:
No, why?

Edit: The possibility that that post was directed at the OP just dawned on me.

Carry on.

Sorry Virum, should have quoted the original OP.
It's just I havn't got through them all yet and voting!!! Maybe by thursday night! :)
Plus I don't wanna score until I've seen them all. That's why I've not put my top 3 out yet.
Don't think I'm scoring mine either.
Jp
 
its a bit odd if some people give their movie 10 across the board and others dont....

personally I dont think you should be allowed to vote on your own film. I think we're all a bit too close to them to view them objectively.
 
Back
Top