Hands on preview of PMW-F3

"The camera shoots MPEG-2 Long GOP 4:2:0 8bit at 35 Mbps to two Sony SxS card slots, and dual link HD-SDI ports allow for recording full 4:2:2 to an external device."

No thanks.
 
"The camera shoots MPEG-2 Long GOP 4:2:0 8bit at 35 Mbps to two Sony SxS card slots, and dual link HD-SDI ports allow for recording full 4:2:2 to an external device."

No thanks.


I think there is some misunderstanding on their part. The Dual link HD-SDI is for 4:4:4 RGB which is an upgrade in April round about NAB. It's not clear if it is a software or hardware upgrade at this point. Single link HD-SDI is 10 bit 4:2:2 as far as I can gather.

I am sure you know this already Chris so forgive me for stating the obvious but having seen all the vids shot with the XDCAM codec, it is no slouch. Obviously recorded to a Wafian,Cinedeck etc will improve the quality a lot and I suppose Sony are targetting high end folk wth whom an off camera recorder is a given.
 
8bit at 35 Mbps should probably impress me more since I'm pretty good with the 5D at this point (for 1/8 the cost). I'd much sooner get the Nanoflash for my EX1R than deal with the F3.
 
I like the camera, but it will probably be one to rent (at the current price), rather than own.
 
Their reviews are horrible, they do not know a thing about professional gear, not even worth listening to anything they say.
 
Back
Top