Graeme native

Poi Boy said:
Wow ! I hope you are kidding with this crap.
-A


Steve sometimes EATS THE BABIES!


Sigh, yes. I figured I would derail the usual war before it started. heh.


Personally, I'm glad to have the red tools on both sytems. It'll allow me to build a monster PC for number crunching while using FCP to edit on a more affordable machine. Probably edit a low rez version on the MAC and conform on the PC monster I build myself. Then F/X in Combustion and After F/X. hmm. Time to buy a Gigabit router.

Options! Love it.
 
Last edited:
GabrielR said:
The real difference is basic life philosophy.

Windows Creator Bill Gates is the worlds greatest humanitarian spending hundreds of millions in Africa this year feeding starving children. Steve Jobs does not make charitable contributions. His only donations have been to political parties (buying favors). Unlike Bill Gates, Steve jobs does not support helping West African babies. Yes, Steve jobs supports the starving of African babies.



Don't hate babies like Steve Jobs; use a Windows PC.







p.s. I figured I'd just take the platform war all the way to it's logical conclusion so it doesn't need to go 5 or 6 pages.

Don't forget a lot of Bill Gates fortune is ill gotten gains ripping off smaller companies and monopolistic pratices... just ask Citrix and what they had to go through.

But after saying that, he is also helping Desitute prostitutes and their customers, in India get educated on birth control and reducing the spread of AIDs. Somthing the Self Rightous Right won't permit the US govt to do. Apparantly the SRR wants them to die horrible deaths for their sins(aka forced lifestyle). I find their attitudes appalling and applaud Gates for trying to make a difference.
 
Kjetil Haugen said:
Not trying to start a platform debate here. Asking purely for the sake of education... What is the difference really between FCP and Premiere Pro? They're both just editing systems... If you want magic to your shots you'd run them by some other compositing software, right? So what really is this advantage FCP has on Premiere? I've used both and the tools are pretty much the same... OR..? I'm really interested here.

It's not so much about Final Cut itself, though I do tend to prefer it. You also have to take into account that Final Cut integrates pretty well with a bunch of other apps, some of which Adobe hasn't really got good equivalents for. Personally, I also just find OS X to be a more robust platform. I could go on about this at extreme length, but I'll refrain.

Plus, consider the fact that if you're running Final Cut Pro on OS X on a Mac, storing data to an Xserve running OS X Server and Xsan to pool storage from Xserve RAIDs... there's exactly one vendor involved. This means things go wrong less, and when they do, there's one company to call that knows everything.

A similar setup in the Windows world would necessarily involve hardware and software from at least three or four vendors.

This stuff can be pretty important in mission-critical environments. It's the reason why companies like Sun are still in business in the server space, even though their stuff costs a lot more per unit of performance than just racking up Dell servers. Apple's stuff doesn't even cost much more these days, when compared with equivalent non-Apple stuff, and you're still getting the integrated single-vendor benefits.
 
but it seems there will be 4k editing on PC first than Mac.. otherwise, i'd think in such option..

on the other hand, PC is more ind(i)ependent.. you can change software w/ your buddies and customize it w/out pay so much for that..

last but.. i don't give a damn if he eats or not babies but..
GabrielR said:
Options! Love it.
:thumbup:
 
Chris Kenny said:
A similar setup in the Windows world would necessarily involve hardware and software from at least three or four vendors.
2 vendors: HP + Microsoft, DELL + Microsoft etc. There are a lot of Windows servers in the world from a simple 1 box setup to multiple boxes with fibre channel NAS en SANs and whatnot. I have worked with Windows based systems and servers for 10+ years, so no worries there.

Both platforms (Intel Mac + Intel Windows) will run the exact same applications, codecs etc. Hardware and software minimal requirements (to actually be able to run the software) will be made available well ahead of initial delivery.

RED's team consists of a very diverse group of people with knowledge and work experience on a lot of things. That nicely compliments eachother and makes sure we look at different sides (like Mac & Windows for example).

There may be some speed difference between various Operating Systems and hardware, but it is a bit early in the game to advice everyone on what works best. Multiple cpu's, decent graphics card and enough fast storage will be crucial though. More details to follow!
 
Last edited:
Platform, smatform, I don't care anymore.

If the RED team decides down the road that instead of Apple or Pc, the best editing platform for their camera is an organic computer made of rotting cow intestines, I suppose that's what I'd buy.

Along with a good set of nose plugs.
 
Last edited:
I use both PC and Mac. PC for general business because there are so many more business software applications available for it. I use both PC and Mac for my media production work, deciding which to use depending on the project at hand and what I feel is the correct tool for the job - the same approach I take in deciding what camera equipment and medium to use on a given project. I'm completely platform agnostic. There is a disproportionate number of Mac users in the media production industry that doesn't reflect the user numbers for the rest of the computer using world: over 90% of all the world's personal and business computers are PC, with Mac holding a market share of around 7%.

To me, both PC and Mac have their uses and non-uses, strong points and weak points. I simply try to use what is the most efficient for each of my projects. If I don't own it, I rent edit bay time for projects that need what I don't have, and build that cost into the project budget.
 
Jim Arthurs said:
Platform, smatform, I don't care anymore.

If the RED team decides down the road that instead of Apple or Pc, the best editing platform for their camera is an organic computer made of rotting cow intestines, I suppose that's what I'd buy.

Along with a good set of nose plugs.
Ha ha! Jim, I just love your posts man! You have a way of bringing things back to Earth with total clarity.
 
thank you for all of your inputs. As Mike Curtis sprinkled- native ingest is what I was wondering about. Aside from Platforms, I often wondered why Final Cut Pro was Mac only and Premier Pro was PC only. Did that exclusivity give them an edge in performance over an both application such as Avid's ?
 
Rob Lohman said:
2 vendors: HP + Microsoft, DELL + Microsoft etc. There are a lot of Windows servers in the world from a simple 1 box setup to multiple boxes with fibre channel NAS en SANs and whatnot. I have worked with Windows based systems and servers for 10+ years, so no worries there.

I was counting the application vendor as well. Microsoft doesn't make a serious NLE app, so that takes you to three vendors. Unless you want to edit RED footage in Microsoft Movie Maker :D
 
valoo said:
thank you for all of your inputs. As Mike Curtis sprinkled- native ingest is what I was wondering about. Aside from Platforms, I often wondered why Final Cut Pro was Mac only and Premier Pro was PC only. Did that exclusivity give them an edge in performance over an both application such as Avid's ?

Final Cut Pro is Mac-only because it's from Apple, and Apple wants you to buy a Mac. Premiere Pro is Windows-only because FCP basically ate Premiere's lunch on the Mac platform. Adobe totally retooled Premiere to make it much more competitive, but it seems they still didn't want to take on Apple on Apple's own platform.

There are some development advantages to being single-platform, though. This is somewhat less true now that OS X and Windows both just run on x86, but it's still true. It's particularly true for Apple. Apple is adding advanced graphics and audio features to OS X and then leveraging them in its applications. Clearly if their apps had to work on Windows, they either couldn't use features specific to OS X, or they'd have to port those features to Windows at considerable cost before they could get their apps up and running there. Some of those features would be very difficult if not impossible to port to an OS from another vendor, because they're hooked in at deep levels.
 
Guys, lets get back to what JJ said.

We may be able to use REDCINE before it ships out with the camera...I'm interested to see if it happens.
 
Love Macs or hate them the vitality of FCP on Macs has been a huge driver in the post production space. We are all beneficiaries of THIS war. My advice is to wait until Graeme has a shipping build of RedCine out there that can be tested on both boxes before you buy a new computer to use with it. If you absolutely have to buy a new box sooner than that just buy what you feel the most comfortable with and plunge in.

Blair S. Paulsen
RedOne #19

Blair your posts are highly instructive:)

I shall try and hold off as long as possible to purchase new computer and NLE.

Valloo, i have been told by many people that most professional post production houses tend to deal with either Avid or FCP, so if you intended to hand over the final footage for completion then going with FCP may be an advantage.

One other insight i find interesting is choosing the vendor to build your computer. Lots of choices in the PC department true, but lots of pitfalls as well unless you select a specialist video NLE PC builder who knows what they are doing. The prices of such vendors are not cheap!

Apple on the other hand appear to offer less options, but what they do offer is available to everyone and is actually surprisingly quite cheap. At the moment you can buy a mac pro and know it will work with what you are doing.

To compare apple Macs to PC or what NLE might have made more effort to accomodate the red workflowjust now is a difficult call until as Blair says we see how things pan out.

I use a PC for business so a change to a Mac could accomodate both NLE and business, though i would prefer to have the NLE for that purpose only since you guys say that is good advice:)

Michael
 
thanks for all the input. I will wait and see how things pan out. Regardless, my outdated system needs to be replaced.
 
Don't forget to keep an eye on what Apple does with the acquisition of Silicon Color, and Shake's end of life. I have a feeling there will be an affordable, high-end workflow for compositing, editing, and final color grade, available around the time the RED is released. Not to mention dual quad core intel mac pro's....
 
Back
Top