GH3 GH3 and tablet transfer

I am familiar with the Transformer. But unless I am mistaken, it only has a microSD slot, with the full sized SD on the optional keyboard dock. I love the idea of the prime because it can lose the keyboard for easy travelling, and then add it when you want/need a more laptop-like device, but for what the OP is looking for it may be silly. I mean, he could just opt for an ultrabook or macbook air (arguably about the same size as a transformer w/ dock), but I think the idea is to travel light (ie. just a small cheap tablet).

It has a MicroSD slot on the tablet, and full SD on the keyboard. I use it with the keyboard for transfer. I always use the keyboard (using it right now for this reply!) and only disconnect and use it as a tablet if I'm reading or watching stuff.

But.... Asus makes 2 very cool little adapters, each less than $20. They both plug into the power port on the bottom of the tablet, so you can use only one at a time, which means transfering in two steps.

First, you use this, which will let you read your SD cards. Put a microSD in the tablet and you can copy all files off of the SD card to the microSD card:

41TEBPy4NWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Once that's done, unplug it and plug in this one:

21zmZ9ut6lL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This will let you plug in your USB HD and transfer the files from microSD to the HD.

That's it. Although I wouldn't bother with this stuff and just go the keyboard route. I love that the keyboard gives an extra 6-8 hours of battery life, and the extra 1.2lbs is worth it.

After using the TF700, I'm pretty sure I'll never buy an iPad. It's just such an awesome device.

EDIT: Although since the OP is backpacking, I could see not wanting an extra 1.2lbs, so these two little adapters may be the better option.
 
I am familiar with the Transformer. But unless I am mistaken, it only has a microSD slot, with the full sized SD on the optional keyboard dock. I love the idea of the prime because it can lose the keyboard for easy travelling, and then add it when you want/need a more laptop-like device, but for what the OP is looking for it may be silly. I mean, he could just opt for an ultrabook or macbook air (arguably about the same size as a transformer w/ dock), but I think the idea is to travel light (ie. just a small cheap tablet).

Yes.. only MicroSD on the tablet but full size on the dock. That's why I suggested the dock to add USB, SD and 15 hours of battery life. For around $420 with dock it's kinda hard to beat.
 
I don't think its hard to beat $420 for a smaller device that wouldn't require a dock. Although I agree the Transformer is an awesome tablet for being a tablet.
 
Very pricey, but a 13-inch Air would be the most elegant solution. Built-in SD card reader and 256GB of space should be plenty, with no dongles hanging off.
 
Very pricey, but a 13-inch Air would be the most elegant solution. Built-in SD card reader and 256GB of space should be plenty, with no dongles hanging off.


Not if you compare it to a TF700 Transformer Pad Infinity which also has built in SD reader in the dock, full 1920X1080 display, quad core CPU and about 1/3 the price! No dongles hanging off either.
 
just curious what would be the value of a tablet over just a box full of SD cards? are you planning to use the tablet to control the camera via wifi?
if thats the case, yeah. screw netbooks or other laptop things.
 
Not if you compare it to a TF700 Transformer Pad Infinity which also has built in SD reader in the dock, full 1920X1080 display, quad core CPU and about 1/3 the price! No dongles hanging off either.

But no 256GB of storage space either. The max is 64GB, or one SD card that's even 1/3 of that price.
 
Just imported a 10 second ALL-I clip from the GH3 into an iPad 3, & it played back fine.

Don't believe I could have done that with AVCHD.

Wonder if there's a way to review footage without importing? That would be very useful.
 
Bern, Post some footy! Give us something to look at. I'm dying over here waiting for my camera to arrive next week!
 
I'll be backpacking for an extended period of time in Asia and I'll be taking along a GH3. I'm trying to bring as little gear as possible. What's the best way to transfer and store video files that I shoot during the trip? I was thinking of taking a tablet and small hard drive. Are there any inexpensive tablets that have a USB host? Is that even possible? I'll eventually be editing on FCP7.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Here's how I do it:


So.... getting back to the OP's original post....

Somehow taking a MacBook Air, as great as it is, probably isn't a very good solution. Very expensive and attractive to thieves, screen and keyboard permanently joined, and 256GB isn't much space.

Remember, "backpacking for an extended period of time in Asia".

The Nexto that Bern suggestion looks very nice, but expensive. There are similar devices with built in storage available on B&H, including a new 1TB device that looks interesting (pre-order only) for under $200. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Portable-Data-Storage/ci/3369/N/4083163867

But for the money, an Asus Transformer (300 or 700 model) is the way to go:


  • Can be used as a stand alone tablet (email & web access via wifi)
  • Can be used with keyboard for reliable file transfer and an extra 6-8 hours of operating time (on top of the 8-10 hours the tablet gives you)
  • Can be used as a phone to make free calls to the US (and super cheap to anywhere else) - check out GrooVeIP. The best $5 I've ever spent on an app.
  • Asus includes the Splashtop app too, so you can access your computer back home from anywhere in the world.
  • Can be used without the keyboard and with small, light, cheap, adapters to handle the file transfers if you want to leave the keyboard at home.
  • Getting a GH3? (The OP did post with "GH3 and tablet transfer" as the title.) Control your camera with the Android app
  • Buy some Google Drive storage and backup your files there too (and then back them up on your home computer too) although you'll need a fast upload pipe (which are available in most major Asian cities).
  • Use your tablet as a teleprompter, film slate....

The list goes on and on.
 
Last edited:
Except outdoors.

Actually, it's quite bright outside. Not sure how it compares to other tablets, but I have no problem with it outside in the Texas sun. It's got a "Super IPS+ mode" that drains the battery faster, but makes it plenty bright.

Here's a quick video. Admittedly, it's late in the day - but hey, it's magic hour! Still, the sky behind me was bright and you can see it reflecting and still read the screen.

 
But for the money, an Asus Transformer (300 or 700 model) is the way to go:

That's a nice piece of gear, but for the specific purpose here, that's a ton of cash to drop for a mere 32/64GB of space - I think extra SD cards are the way to go, or some other specifically storage solution, like what you linked to. Back in the day - like 10 years ago - when I traveled with my cams I used a 10GB "tank" into which I'd transfer what I shot on my compact flash cards at the end of the day in the hotel. Funny to think how little 10GB is today. Speaking of which, I'd like to see a storage device that's more like 2-3TB, but the 1TB you linked to is perfectly fine too.
 
That's a nice piece of gear, but for the specific purpose here, that's a ton of cash to drop for a mere 32/64GB of space - I think extra SD cards are the way to go, or some other specifically storage solution, like what you linked to. Back in the day - like 10 years ago - when I traveled with my cams I used a 10GB "tank" into which I'd transfer what I shot on my compact flash cards at the end of the day in the hotel. Funny to think how little 10GB is today. Speaking of which, I'd like to see a storage device that's more like 2-3TB, but the 1TB you linked to is perfectly fine too.


The external drive gives you 1TB of storage. As for the tablet, you could always add a 64GB microSD and a 128GB SD to give you a total of 256GB (the tablet comes with either 32 or 64GB internal) although that's crazy expensive and not needed.

I'd generally agree with what you wrote, but it was the "extended period of time in Asia" that makes the tablet a nice option for staying in touch with people back home.

Having said that, one more idea is to get something like the Galaxy II Note (or Galaxy S III or pretty much any of the latest Android phones) which you can use around the world for all the things you use a phone for, and use it for transferring files from SD card to Hard Drive via a USB hub. Yup. It's really possible and easy to do because Android includes USB Host mode. The cable needed to do this is $1 (free shipping) on Amazon.

Here's a video that shows how (skip to the 7 minute mark to see how it's done with the USB hub):


You know, I think this is probably the lightest and best approach, although I'd still go with the tablet if it were me.

Bonus: Skip to 27:40 to see how you can play GameCube games on the phone.... Yikes!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top