Hunter Hampton
Carbonite Member
EDIT: Ive updated this first post with all my grabs.
Not trying to start a fight, I use the 5d ALL the time, but I wanted to get more of a IQ test between the gh1 with the avchd hack and the 5dmark2- just for my own brain's sake. I really thought the 5d would edge out the gh1(3) but im not so sure anymore.
This is a real world dynamic range test and they look to be just about identical but the gh1(3) is much sharper and overall IMO has a higher image quality, especially given the 5dmark 2 should have a sharpness advantage as I had to use a slightly more telephoto lens on it (didnt have a 40mm to match exactly, so i used a 50mm on the 5d)- if I had a 40mm, the 5d would look even softer. Another interesting bit is I had to put the canon at iso 400 to visually match brightness of the gh1 at iso 100.
FOCUS WAS TRIPLE CHECKED AND IS ON THE WALL OF WINDOWS
GH1 settings:
1080/24p
iso 100
Nostalgic mode
Iexposure on high
-2 contrast
+2 color
-2 sharpness
0 noise reduction
125th/sec @ f8 on 20mm pancake
Daylight WB
5Dm2:
1080/24p
iso 400 (had to use this to match brightness of the gh1 @ iso100)
neutral mode
contrast all the way down
sharpness all the way down
color at base
125th/sec @ f8 nikkor 50mm ais
daylight WB (looks more green than the gh1, could be partly because of the lens)
Spot meter readings attached as well, both look about 8 usable stops. Promise there is no funny business going on I dont care which one "wins". These are jpegs at ~90% quality, both look a little better as prores.
5Dm2:
GH1(3) avchd "c" bitrate hack (44mbs?):
Spot meter exposure guide for dynamic range (same scene readings for both, this one just has the gh1 image shown):
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Found a 35mm for the 5d and reshot it with some sharpening added in camera (attempt to match the gh1 sharpening (to make it more "fair"). This time I used "standard" mode on the gh1 with the same settings above applied. Interesting how the standard mode effected the image on the GH1, makes the canon almost look over exposed.
5Dm2:
GH1:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Case closed...
5D superflat- iso200:
GH1(3) iso100:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is BEST case scenario for the 5D in terms of range, HTP is on, auto lighting is on max setting, and its running on the superflat preset- you cant make these kind of extreme adjustments on the gh1 in camera, but because you asked for it:
5D:
GH1 with ie on HIGH:
GH1 with ie OFF:
Pretty damn close. The canon stuff almost looks out of focus next to the gh1(3)- its not, focus is on the plant and the lens is stopped down to 4/5.6.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just one more and then you guys have to do your own tests.
Tried to match overall look in this shot; the gh1 edges out the 5d in terms of detail (again making the 5D seem out of focus compared to it).
5D (~4/5.6):
GH1(3) (~2.0):
Not trying to start a fight, I use the 5d ALL the time, but I wanted to get more of a IQ test between the gh1 with the avchd hack and the 5dmark2- just for my own brain's sake. I really thought the 5d would edge out the gh1(3) but im not so sure anymore.
This is a real world dynamic range test and they look to be just about identical but the gh1(3) is much sharper and overall IMO has a higher image quality, especially given the 5dmark 2 should have a sharpness advantage as I had to use a slightly more telephoto lens on it (didnt have a 40mm to match exactly, so i used a 50mm on the 5d)- if I had a 40mm, the 5d would look even softer. Another interesting bit is I had to put the canon at iso 400 to visually match brightness of the gh1 at iso 100.
FOCUS WAS TRIPLE CHECKED AND IS ON THE WALL OF WINDOWS
GH1 settings:
1080/24p
iso 100
Nostalgic mode
Iexposure on high
-2 contrast
+2 color
-2 sharpness
0 noise reduction
125th/sec @ f8 on 20mm pancake
Daylight WB
5Dm2:
1080/24p
iso 400 (had to use this to match brightness of the gh1 @ iso100)
neutral mode
contrast all the way down
sharpness all the way down
color at base
125th/sec @ f8 nikkor 50mm ais
daylight WB (looks more green than the gh1, could be partly because of the lens)
Spot meter readings attached as well, both look about 8 usable stops. Promise there is no funny business going on I dont care which one "wins". These are jpegs at ~90% quality, both look a little better as prores.
5Dm2:
GH1(3) avchd "c" bitrate hack (44mbs?):
Spot meter exposure guide for dynamic range (same scene readings for both, this one just has the gh1 image shown):
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Found a 35mm for the 5d and reshot it with some sharpening added in camera (attempt to match the gh1 sharpening (to make it more "fair"). This time I used "standard" mode on the gh1 with the same settings above applied. Interesting how the standard mode effected the image on the GH1, makes the canon almost look over exposed.
5Dm2:
GH1:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Case closed...
5D superflat- iso200:
GH1(3) iso100:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is BEST case scenario for the 5D in terms of range, HTP is on, auto lighting is on max setting, and its running on the superflat preset- you cant make these kind of extreme adjustments on the gh1 in camera, but because you asked for it:
5D:
GH1 with ie on HIGH:
GH1 with ie OFF:
Pretty damn close. The canon stuff almost looks out of focus next to the gh1(3)- its not, focus is on the plant and the lens is stopped down to 4/5.6.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just one more and then you guys have to do your own tests.
Tried to match overall look in this shot; the gh1 edges out the 5d in terms of detail (again making the 5D seem out of focus compared to it).
5D (~4/5.6):
GH1(3) (~2.0):
Last edited: