GH1 UK version a better way to go?

Are you joking? :)

If Panasonic had posted specs for this camera a year ago and then changed the release date and specs four times over the course of six months would that make people happy? I would take not knowing what's up Red's sleeve instead of the roller coaster of PDF marketing materials that changed every few weeks. Makes your head spin... :2vrolijk_08:

I could stand with less openness from Red. Things changing every few weeks just means you can't plan a shoot around their products because "specs and release dates are subject to change." If RED announced right before they delivered that would be awesome. I'd prefer, "Hey, we've been working on this top secret 3K 4/3 interchangeable lens version of Scarlet for the past eight months. And guess what, we're going to start shipping it in three weeks at a cost of 3K." That would make me happy. What was supposed to be a Summer release is turning into fall, which of course we all predicted would happen in the first place. [/END RANT]

I pretty much agree with everything you said and I feel the same way. However, in this case what I was talking about was what Red has done with the Red One AFTER they released it. They continued to improve it with 17 firmware updates! So, in this specific case it would be nice to know if, 1) Panasonic even considers what we're griping about to be legitimate, 2) Panasonic intends to 'fix' the GH1 with a patch, and 3) When that patch would come out. It's THAT KIND of openness I was talking about. Even a statement saying from Panny saying "it's fine the way it is" would be helpful at this point.
 
anyone live near panasonic US HQ? just approach the head of marketing and ask.

Panasonic Corporation of North America
Consumer Affairs Division
Panazip 2F-3
One Panasonic Way
Secaucus, NJ 07094
 
17,500 for a camera...gee I wonder what possessed them release 17 updates for a camera that was supposed to be final when released. it just doesn't make sense.
 
Panasonic Executive Vice President Robert Perry
David Briganti, National Marketing Manager, Imaging, Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company

c'mon John ur a longtime panny fanboy. it's a short trek over the river.
 
You need a car to get there and I ain't got one. Unless you chip in for round trip cabfare. I would say about $120.00 from Jackson Heights, Queens to Secaucus, N.J. If you call him and tell him I am coming and he gives the OK I'll go.
 
Ron T Kakimoto
Head, Global Development
Japan

Ichiro Kitao, general manager of Panasonic's imaging product group.
 
I think a dvxuser group insurgency is in order here. A multi-pronged global attack on every panasonic office globally should get our message across. I can draft a letter on behalf of us all if the mods are cool with that. If a dvxer from each territory can print them out and post them, snail mail is a more personal and effective way to communicate than an email. maybe sonic can mail letters to the japanese execs.
 
Zoe Susice has been appointed Group Manager, Imaging for Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company, based in Secaucus, N.J. With Susice's appointment, she is responsible for the company's Imaging Group, which encompasses the award-winning Panasonic LUMIX digital cameras.

I need this camera to be all it can be so I'm gonna go on a quaker speak truth to power trip.
 
Barry Green has the ear of Panasonic, but even he has said he's not sure how much of what he tells them gets through. (Paraphrasing here, of course.)
 
Those that say you get flickering lights in PAL regions with the Japanese model may well prevent me from purchasing the camera altogether until my holiday is over and I return to the UK in June, so please... no unresearched comments - let's get this issue nailed once and for all!

Panasonic state: Full-HD (1920 × 1080) movies are output by the image sensor at 24p (NTSC)/25p (PAL), and recorded at 60i (NTSC)/50i (PAL). HD (1280 × 720) movies are output and recorded by the image sensor at 60p (NTSC)/50p (PAL).

Full HD recorded at 60i then deinterlaced to non-native 24p for the NTSC model, the camera would be slightly out of sync with UK 50hz lighting & PAL TV sets, causing the flicker? However, don't most PAL HD camcorders record at 60i anyway?

I have no problem the other way round, with my PAL HD Canon HF100 camcorder under 60hz lighting in Taiwan.

Is the issue more to do with the shutter speed than the frame rate? So if you changed the shutter to 1/50 instead of 1/60, that would be a fix?

Also could it be the interlacing causing the flicker, and progressive scan 24p solves this issue?

Please help clear this up - it's very confusing. Why do we need 25p PAL and 24p NTSC in this day and age, and why is NTSC 24 (lower) but 60i higher (than 50i)? Strange.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top