GH1 firmware research volunteers required

tester,

I made some changed to wingraph32. First off, hopefully it looks nicer hehe. Removed the existing toolbar so as long as you don't really care about those cartesian fisheye coordinate buttons, it should be similar. I kept the zoom buttons.

Big thanks!
Just made small tests.
It is much better now.

Noticed two small problems.
1) Node filtering is case sensitive. This must be fixed. If it is possible, you can add ability to use either substring match or starting symbols only (may be checkbox right to the input?).
2) If you specify maximum depth it still require you to click on the node. Best thing is to use root one and do display refresh with small delay after input. So, user can change depth and look at results without leaving input field. Clicking is also good as sometimes it is very useful, but default root node can save some valuable time.

I hope that you could find time at implement return to IDA by clicking of node (to appropriate function). Use Windows system functions to find IDA window (look at WinAPI), change focus, send "g" key and all symbols of function name followed by enter, and it'll jump to function start.

Another very useful thing is try to slightly change rendering using http://www.antigrain.com/ .
If you have big graph with small text labels, anti-aliasing help a lot.

I am really amazed that this tool becoming something useful.

Great can't wait for you to start taking advantage of this tool :)

The problem with using the default "root node" is that this app has no concept of what a root node is. All it has is a table of all nodes and edges and where they join up. There is no information indicating which node is actually the root. This is why I made it a requirement for the user to select which node to define as the root.

You should be able to see immediate depth change without leaving input field though.

I'll see what I can do about IDA. If IDA provides windows containing the function names then it should be possible.

Antialiasing library... hmmm.. I'll look into it but no guarantees :)

I'm sure you're sick of hearing it by now but great work on the GH1 firmware so far! Keep hacking away at it :)

BTW regarding the substring search, what do you mean by the "symbol"? Do you mean the first line in the node contents (representing function name or address?)

Big thanks!
2) If you specify maximum depth it still require you to click on the node. Best thing is to use root one and do display refresh with small delay after input. So, user can change depth and look at results without leaving input field. Clicking is also good as sometimes it is very useful, but default root node can save some valuable time.

I hope that you could find time at implement return to IDA by clicking of node (to appropriate function). Use Windows system functions to find IDA window (look at WinAPI), change focus, send "g" key and all symbols of function name followed by enter, and it'll jump to function start.

Another very useful thing is try to slightly change rendering using http://www.antigrain.com/ .
If you have big graph with small text labels, anti-aliasing help a lot.

I am really amazed that this tool becoming something useful.

Best Current Settings NTSC?

Best Current Settings NTSC?

Would like to try my hand at testing the firmware and hoping I could get some advice on what is presently working best, least likely to cause freeze/lock-up.

Video buffer
Bitrate 1
Bitrate 2

720p60
1080p24

Audio buffer
Audio encoding
Audio sampling

Much obliged for any suggestions! And thanks to all who have helped make this hack successful thus far.

Would like to try my hand at testing the firmware and hoping I could get some advice on what is presently working best,
Much obliged for any suggestions! And thanks to all who have helped make this hack successful thus far.

Download PTool and read hints, they have some suggestions.
Other than that you must try various things yourself and report us results, this is all unrisky patches.
Start from audio things as this is most problematic now.
As for video - I suggest you to hold testing until we move to more low level settings, as we know almost all that we need today.

Last edited:
Great can't wait for you to start taking advantage of this tool :)

I believe that many people will be thankful, as Ilfak (IDA author) did not do anything useful for many years to this tool.

The problem with using the default "root node" is that this app has no concept of what a root node is.

Try to use color, as I can see that it have color difference visually.

I'll see what I can do about IDA. If IDA provides windows containing the function names then it should be possible.

Here my small suggestion again.
"Use Windows system functions to find IDA window by title (look at WinAPI), change focus to that window, send "g" key and all symbols of function name followed by enter, and it'll jump to function start."
So, you don't need functions list, as you seng G key to IDA small window will popup, send function name (you have it in the tree node), send Enter code and IDA will jump to this function.
It is not hard to implement and you must be able to find many primers on the web and at StackOverflow.

Antialiasing library... hmmm.. I'll look into it but no guarantees :)

It is very simple and popular one. In fact it is like Canvas anternative, so you just have bitmap, but all method produce antialiasing results (TextOut, Line, etc).

You can try aiSee (request free license from them) how antiasiasing works.
They also have different graph display algorithms.
aiSee started from WinGraph32 also.

WinGraph32 uses some weird text display method.
Is it possible to adjust text size to be as big as possible (inside rectangle)?

BTW regarding the substring search, what do you mean by the "symbol"? Do you mean the first line in the node contents (representing function name or address?)

I mean that search could have two modes: search any substring or only starting symbols of each function name. Sometimes I need any substring, but most time starting symbols is prefereble mode.

Last edited:
And lastly, because you can never be too careful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmitry_Sklyarov

Yeah, Dmitry case was quite interesting.
ElcomSoft is quite special firm, as they are specializing at password breaking tools. They also like to use such cases for marketing purposes.
I believe Adobe was fine while they made this tool and sell it, but they wanted sensation and they sent Dmitry to USA to tell precisely all implementation problems in encryption of PDF files. I believe Adobe requested them not to do this many times :)

Last edited:
I just bought a GH1 (have not received it yet) but have read through many of the posts in this thread.

I downloaded the software and firmware to look through the help tips, but since everything is spread through so many posts I was wondering if it has been determined what are optimised settings for both 1080 24 and 720p 60?

I am mostly concered with bitrate and GOP. Are these reliable settings:

For 1080 24
Video Buffer: 33.500.000
Bitrate Adjustment 1: 29000000
Bitrate Adjustment 2: 31000000
GOP: 6

For 720p 60
Video Buffer: 28.000.000
Bitrate Adjustment 1: 24000000
Bitrate Adjustment 2: 26000000
GOP: 15

Or can you go to a higher bitrate with out problems?

Last edited:
I downloaded the software and firmware to look through the help tips, but since everything is spread through so many posts I was wondering if it has been determined what are optimised settings for both 1080 24 and 720p 60?

No, we don't have optimized settings, due to fact that we must also change P and I frames quality estimators (or compression settings).
Current bitrate setting have some effect (on I frames especially, banding is less). But they are not very useful for simple ordinary user, as is clearly indicated by research status.

Bitrate Suggestions

Bitrate Suggestions

Thanks for the reply and all the hard work.

Are there any good suggestions for bitrate and GOP based on what others have found?

Little confused, the front page says Native 24p/25p is done and working....what mode is this for? MJPEG 24p is still being tested yes? Is this for 1080p or 720p AVHCD? If it's for 1080p does "Native" mean pulldown removal is no longer required? Haven't looked at the thread in awhile...read all through front page but still a bit confused.

I have the same questions as BenB. If it's no trouble it would be a cool thing to have sort of a summary on what has been accomplished so far. At 160,000 views and 156 pages of info this is quite cumbersome to go through. Thanks.

Mjpeg 24p, still skips frames.

Native 24/25, for 1080p. no pull down required. The footage is native 24p with patch. I've uploaded 2 clips demonstrating it.

Last edited:
Back