Game On - Sony F3

Nigel A

Well-known member
This is one of the quick shoots we did when we had the F3 for the weekend. We got some of the neighbourhood kids to play hockey and we had the jimmy jib out. It was a good test to see movement.

Edited using the native codec in FCP, and we added some magic bullet looks to try and help out the very grey day

We used mostly the Cooke S4 21mm, and 100mm for the close ups
 
Last edited:
Sweet. Nice to know that my home movies will have such a cinematic look.

Although, I doubt I'll be allowed to put a crane on the ice for my son's hockey games.
 
Just asking Nigel, how did you get the F-3 to play with. Did you just call and ask Sony, did they call you. Just wondering how some DP's get the chance to pre-screen and get to play with new camera.
 
I'm assuming the slight overexposure of some of these shots is due to Magic Bullet....correct? It looks so good either way. How easy is it to judge focus on the F3 LCD?
 
It's very easy for exposure to runaway when you are using Magic Bullet Looks even if the changes are subtle. It's just the way the workflow is set up. You tend to focus on the visual hit and not on the technical aspects of things.

Regardless, Nigel was pretty clear this was quickly put together and the heavy overcast light pushes things towards a monocromatic state. This is not a piece for pixel peeping.
 
I'm assuming the slight overexposure of some of these shots is due to Magic Bullet....correct? It looks so good either way. How easy is it to judge focus on the F3 LCD?

The LCD was not bad at all. You could judge focus, and I didn't have any problems at all. On the jib we were off a 17" HD monitor, but I used a combo of the LCD and my small HD DP6 on the other shoots
 
Nigel - you certainly 'got your money's worth' out of that weekend with the f3!!

Short looks great, but yeah, what a drab day. When Toronto is flat, it's Flaaaat....
 
So Nigel like JD asked how does one go about getting their hands on an F3? Did Sony contact you or did you contact Sony?
 
Adam

It was a combination of both. They knew about my previous work with adaptors from Letus to Pro 35, (which I own, and are for sale) and from my DSLR work over the last year and change. (I also spoke at the SMPTE meeting in the spring about DSLR shooting where Sony was announcing the Nex cam) I've had a good relationship with my dealer and Sony over the last 17 years and they thought it would be fit. The timing worked out and it was nice to have some Canadian footage for their launch.
 
Hello Nigel. What can you say (your opinion) about the Sony F3 when compared to the Panasonic AF101? Do you think same results can be made with both cam's?

Thanks,
Sebastian
 
Hello Nigel. What can you say (your opinion) about the Sony F3 when compared to the Panasonic AF101? Do you think same results can be made with both cam's?

Thanks,
Sebastian

I think there's lots in there for debate. I have only seen some of the footage from the AF 101 online and it looks great as well. I think these cameras are aimed at two different markets. Price point is a big difference. Do you get more value with the Panasonic, and is there a $10k difference in picture quality? For me I like the S35 sensor, 10 bit 4:2:2 of the HDSDI, the option for S-log (when it comes), and the potential for a zoom that you can use with the Sony. That versatility and flexibility for the range of work I do is what I was thinking about.

I own a lot of Panasonic gear, from an HDX 900, 1200 DVCPro deck, and 7.9 and 17" monitors so I'm a big Panny fan, so I've been looking hard at it. Have not had a chance to shoot with the AF 100 (North America) yet and look forward to it. I think it might be harder to introduce it to some of my clients. Now there are things missing on both cameras that I think we will have work arounds on. 4:2:0 codec, Only having one HDSDI out. I had to do a lot of looping, for multiple monitors, and if your using a Nanoflash, you need it to be a clean out from the camera, so you need a TC reader for notes. Form factor for handheld, accessory points that are not all metal 1/4 inch....

I look forward to seeing further tests with both, and shooting in more situations, but for now its a nice hybrid between the what the adapters did, and what the DSLR's surprised us with.
 
Thank you for your comment Nigel. Really value.

In my case, for documentary work, the biggest gap now is the cost of a good pl mount zoom lens. It is a must because I have no time for lens exchange for each shot..
 
Nigel,

Can you talk about the jib you used? I've been interested in picking one up for indy work and would love to hear your perspective. Thanks much.
 
Thank you for your comment Nigel. Really value.

In my case, for documentary work, the biggest gap now is the cost of a good pl mount zoom lens. It is a must because I have no time for lens exchange for each shot..

It will be very interesting to see what Sony is planning in the spring with the zoom they talked about
 
Nigel,

Can you talk about the jib you used? I've been interested in picking one up for indy work and would love to hear your perspective. Thanks much.

I've had a Losmandy Portajib traveller for the last 12 ish years I think. Its been through everything. At the time it was one of the only lightweight portable jibs. I usually put them on my spreader with wheels and roll around. That's what we did on the painter shoot. Its been a great tool over the years. Its always nice to add that extra bit of production value and have it to offer in those situations where it fits. For Game On it was the full size jib.

Today there seems to be a lot more options. Kessler crane has some great looking products. Have not shot with them but I hear really good things. Losmandy also has some good products that are combo jib and can turn into a slider as well. Again there's that wide range of pricing. With the cameras lighter and more portable, the jibs have also followed that route, and it makes it easier to transport and set up.
 
Back
Top