FS700 video - Skateboard Spot, but not your usual.

Gene Sung

Veteran

I made this 30 second spot for The Working Man, an upstart skate label out of Los Angeles. This is more of a concept based skateboard spot as opposed to cinematic skate footage. It more the sound effects that make this spot than the actual footage.

I also had to make a crazy rig in order to get the direct overhead shots. Pics attached. I tried to use a GoPro at first, but I hated the fish eye look and the rolling shutter was insane when the skateboard rig would hit cracks. Shot mostly with a Tokina 11-16.

Here's a cut and paste of the video description from Vimeo.

"The client and I both love how repetitive and rhythmic sounds are when riding a skateboard down the street and I tried to capture that for this video by making a little beat set to skateboard sounds. The shots are grouped into a set of 4, and each set is bonded by a common visual element whether it's a pattern, color, certain shape or theme; and this repeats itself over and over. To further reinforce this sense of repetition, the camera is always from the top view, side view, top view and front view; and this keeps repeating as well."





 

Attachments

  • skaterig.jpg
    skaterig.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 0
Fantastic job. I love a strong concept like this.

My only worry is that you didn't have counterweight on the other side of that side-view skateboard! Scary stuff.

But again, great work!
 
Thanks guys. I actually downloaded the sound effects off www.freesound.org. It's all these sound nerds (similar to us camera nerds) that upload all these awesome sound recordings. Best of all, it's free.

And yes, I felt pretty sketched out with my FS700 hanging that way. I had to be REAL careful.
 
Hell yeah, Gene!

Great visuals, street scenes & art culminating with a kickass skate shot/trick.

As a (mostly) former street skater, I can really relate to this. Makes me wanna grab the board & hit the streets.
 
Yea, really like the alternative look to it. Feels like its appealing to a skateboarder on a personal level, then to the general public.
I'd prefer the sounds culminated into more of a rhythmic climatic point, rather then a noise soup at the end. Just struck me a little raw at the end.
Maybe some kinda "ring" or sound that could carry through that last slow motion shot at the end.
For instance, in a movie when someone is near a gun fire, or some bomb just went off... and there is a high pitched ring and slowmotion shots as the chaos plays out... But thats just my 2c.
Anyhow, thanks for sharing.
 
overall i found it a really fresh approach to shooting with a skateboard theme. from what you described as your goal i feel this approach was fitting and striking.

agree with the above poster about the SFX. that last cluster of noise going into the last jump felt notably distracting and a little annoying. i had my speakers sort of cranked though. still ironic how the above poster picked up on my similar thoughts.

still considering overall great job!

you got a lot of balls submitting your camera to that shoot! lol!!!
david
 
Great work! Cool experimental piece. I like the graphics and textures that the 'above' shots gave on the street. I would continue to save those images and use for various textures or transitional frames. Interested in the frame rate and shutter speed used for those.

I feel the sound works well to gain attention - I almost felt like I was going to see a "Stop Smoking" at the end with the harsh sounds.

Awesome!
 
Back
Top