FS700 and laser light

kevin gallagher

Active member
I've been offered a gig shooting a adult halloween party/rave where I know there will be an abundance of laser light. Is the 700 sensor likely to be damaged by a direct hit from a laser light show? This gig is not worth turning my camera into a useless brick.

thanks
 
A nowbrainer, it will definite be useless when hit. Even when it bounce of a shiny object and even with a very weak and small laser. These things are very very nasty for any sensor.
Only put you lenscap of when your 100% sure the lasers are of. Or when you know for sure your out of the range of the beams, like behind the source.

Lets say I have experience :cry:
 
Absolutely, image sensors should avoid laser lights at any cost.

Don't know what's happening "physicaly" though, is it the potential well of the pixel that so overloaded that it is burned ? Is it a whole registry that is incapacited ?

Anyway, I think this kind of jobs is too dangerous for your camera Kevin !
 
I've seen that video and others about DSLR laser hits. That's why I am being very cautious. I will take a pass on this gig for sure. Thanks.
 
I used a cheap keychain laser pointer as an effect in a music video once. I had a guy in the dark behind my subject playing it over their shoulders, often directly into my lens. It was an HVX. Didn't have any issues. Glad it was weak enough I guess.
 
I've seen that video and others about DSLR laser hits. That's why I am being very cautious. I will take a pass on this gig for sure. Thanks.

you may say them - "ABSOLUTELY NO LASER in place, than I'll take the job.. or you better try to find some idiot, who don't care about his camera!" :cheesy:
 
I used a cheap keychain laser pointer as an effect in a music video once. I had a guy in the dark behind my subject playing it over their shoulders, often directly into my lens. It was an HVX. Didn't have any issues. Glad it was weak enough I guess.

I think it only affects large sensors. Years ago I shot an experimental laser music show on a sony z1. Pretty powerful green lasers were shooting everywhere including directly down the lens. No issues with the camera. So for a laser gig, I'd pull out an old hdv cam.
 
I think it only affects large sensors. Years ago I shot an experimental laser music show on a sony z1. Pretty powerful green lasers were shooting everywhere including directly down the lens. No issues with the camera. So for a laser gig, I'd pull out an old hdv cam.

I'm not sure of this, because a lasershow owner told me phonecamera's were damaged during a show. He anounces before the show starts that people better hold their camera's and phones in the pocket.
 
I'm not sure of this, because a lasershow owner told me phonecamera's were damaged during a show. He anounces before the show starts that people better hold their camera's and phones in the pocket.

Could have something to do with CCD versus cmos sensors? Plus the old z1's were 3 chip so it captured images through a prism which could have weakened the laser. Everything else these days is CMOS single chip with nothing between the lens and the sensor.

here's a video clip I found with laser light going directly down the lens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFdmNom9xmE
 
Last edited:
Criminals commonly try to blind CCTV with high power lasers which use typically Sony CCDs, never seen one break yet. There are some very powerful green lasers though so it might need to be above a certain power before it becomes an issue.

There's certainly a myth and some fake footage of laser claims, e.g: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=proafaDD99c

I'm almost certain a lot of laser claims are made by people wanting to sell lasers. Any camera blinding is temporary and only for the time the laser is directed at the lens.

If it was easy to damage a CCD with a laser there wouldn't be a single working speed camera left in the UK.

I used to film airsoft where people would use green and red lasers, never had a single camera damaged.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top