Former Shake Product Designer: Apple Doesn't Care About Pro Market

A secondary monitor + viewer IS A MUST if you work with clients. If you do and you don't have a proper viewer then that client will change edit house to someone who has.

I have say that I don't agree with you that this is always the case.

My guess is that it varies, and that this is an opinion alone, which is fine. Other factors beyond this, such as the lack of editing or story telling abilities, rather than an external monitor may be more critical factors.

Perhaps you can provide us with what survey or study supports your view that you will always, mostly, or sometimes lose a client if a secondary monitor or viewer isn't available.
 
Last edited:
If you need a monitor to have clients look at, it's not impossible to duplicate a digital signal to another monitor. This is of course assuming an RGB workflow and monitoring, but really, isn't that the delivery medium these days? LCD via HD signals? Component is going more and more away from the norm, and HDMI is really what people are shooting for.
 
why not just duel boot rather than all this 'buy/build a PC alternative'?

Slag apple all you want, but they build kit to last, and since intel, to be flexible.
Last year I was reunited with my first ever, 400mhz PowerBook that I sold on over 8 years ago. Still going strong for email/web etc. for a friend.
Meanwhile my Nehalem MacPro runs Nuke beautifully, makes no noise and had many months of uptime. That will run for many years ahead.

The Linux box I'm currently freelance Nuking on, I am currently hard rebooting 2-3 times a day, and need to do a 'desktop manager' reboot 20-30 times a day (ctrl f5, then f7) when the wacom driver crashes????
That's like working with a pencil where the lead keeps breaking.

This whole 'Apple is ripping you off' stance I've never understood. For the most part they try to bring the high-end to the desktop, spreading the tech amongt the masses.
When I bought my Shake for 5k, it was halved in price by the Apple purchase of it. And I came from a Cineon running (at a total package price of about £120k on an SGI Octane).
Now that at the time was REAL power to the artist. Affordable hi-end power to a freelance artist, and not having to be reliant on a posthouse for the buying of the kit.

You can feel your high-end skills are being cheapened and porned at this point with FCPX, or you draw strength from the fact that you can edit or comp and actually make these machines and software fly despite all the tutorials and YouTube clips allowing anyone with a crack of the software to learn what you've spent years learning...

And remember that there are always younger people chomping at your ass, prepared to embrace new technologies you can easily dismiss.
Stay young at heart, and don't get stuck in your ways.
 
Last edited:
If you had done your research and bought quality components instead of the "cheapest", you wouldn't be having problems.
 
FWIW, Apple's stock price has gone up pretty consistently over the last 10 days.

That's because it has been in the toilet lately and is recovering. Partly due to the usual sell in May scenario and partly due to what's been going in in Greece, failure to release a new iPhone version at the recent dev conference, etc. Don't read anything FCP related into the stock price. Go to an Apple store and ask yourself how many of the 1000 folks wandering around in there are FCP users?
 
If you had done your research and bought quality components instead of the "cheapest", you wouldn't be having problems.

not my say in any way. that's the box I'm given to work on, and every other box in the room is the same. that's the way of the larger post houses. buy a whole bunch of HP or BOXX machines and network them with multiple floating licenses. first time I've really worked on a Linux box. feels like 100 people with different agendas bolting stuff together.
I miss the SGI Octane I used to run Cineon on. lovely piece of kit.
 
Last edited:
Ah, business with IT support then? Almost always mishandles basic support for that. I have my setups that have always been extremely stable.
 
Ah, business with IT support then? Almost always mishandles basic support for that. I have my setups that have always been extremely stable.

If you can have a system completely off the grid then it's possible to set something up the way you want and leave it, but as soon as it's on a network you introduce security risk and the need to continually apply patches.

On further thought about Apple stock, maybe this portends the type of decision making one might expect with SJ not at the helm. Scary.
 
A secondary monitor + viewer IS A MUST if you work with clients. If you do and you don't have a proper viewer then that client will change edit house to someone who has.

Are you referring to an external monitor or to a source/record monitor?

Sure, for clients, a large external monitor is very nice to have.

But a source/record window? I don't see why it would make a difference to a client.

As for myself and my own purposes, I just think it takes up unnecessary space. Nice to have now and then when I can actually make use of it? Sure. All the time? Not at all. My custom layouts in Premiere and Vegas don't even include it.

As was alluded to above, After Effects users have been getting along without one for quite some time.
 
Back
Top