FlightLine Films at the NM SpacePort - with an AF100 along!

With all these teaser images and footage am I bound to be disappointed when my 101 finally arrives?

Disappointed because of the imaging? No.

Disappointed because you don't get to shoot things like the first private spacecraft? Yeah.
 
Barry now the next step is to attach the af100 to the outside of Spaceship 1 as it sails into outer space. Now THAT would be a first. Imagine the endorsement after that "The AF100 withstood the rigors of re-entry. It can withstand indie-filmmaking."
 
Barry now the next step is to attach the af100 to the outside of Spaceship 1 as it sails into outer space. Now THAT would be a first. Imagine the endorsement after that "The AF100 withstood the rigors of re-entry. It can withstand indie-filmmaking."
Unprotected, no -- but in a pressurized housing we could do it. We built pressurized housings for the Red, 5D, and HD cameras in the Red Bull Stratos program, so we could totally rig up the spaceship with one. But I don't think they'd be game for that as it would ruin their aerodynamics. It's one thing to put a pressurized housing on a capsule that's being lofted by a balloon, and it's something totally different to fit one to a rocket-powered lifting body like SS2... :thumbsup:
 
14-140mm Lens

14-140mm Lens

Great post Barry! You are a lucky man. I remember covering the space shuttle launches at Edwards Air force base years ago. I love that stuff.
How did the lens look? Is it capable of shallow DOF? Many folks think that the aperture limit wont yield good results. I sure hope it can because that would the first lens in the bag if I get the camera.
 
The telescope lens? Um, yes to the shallow DOF on that... :)

The 14-140? The 14-140 is an excellent and versatile lens. I think anyone not getting that lens, is not thinking straight. It just adds too much versatility to the AF100. But no, it's not gonna deliver f/1.4 shallow DOF. Then again, in films we don't typically go for the 1.4 look either, many cinematographers have traditionally aimed for about f/3.4. The lens is a little slow, but I think all its other capabilities more than make up for it.
 
Great post Barry! You are a lucky man. I remember covering the space shuttle launches at Edwards Air force base years ago. I love that stuff.
How did the lens look? Is it capable of shallow DOF? Many folks think that the aperture limit wont yield good results. I sure hope it can because that would the first lens in the bag if I get the camera.

The telescope lens? Um, yes to the shallow DOF on that... :)

The 14-140? The 14-140 is an excellent and versatile lens. I think anyone not getting that lens, is not thinking straight. It just adds too much versatility to the AF100. But no, it's not gonna deliver f/1.4 shallow DOF. Then again, in films we don't typically go for the 1.4 look either, many cinematographers have traditionally aimed for about f/3.4. The lens is a little slow, but I think all its other capabilities more than make up for it.
HaHa! I forgot to include the lens I was referencing. That's pretty funny. Its that darn multi tasking! I have a XHa1 and shallow DOF is not easy. Looking forward to more seperation with a new camera.

Thanks Barry!
 
barry since you own zeiss glass etc how does gh1 kit lens 14-140mm hold up image quality wise, sharpness, etc to top stills glass for gh1?
 
barry since you own zeiss glass etc how does gh1 kit lens 14-140mm hold up image quality wise, sharpness, etc to top stills glass for gh1?
Haven't tested. But you can go to dpreview and see results on the ZFs and on the 14-140. I think for video purposes the 14-140 holds up plenty fine.
 
What a great article! Thanks Barry.

Lots of things to salivate at - don't know where to start.
 
I'm presuming the runway and crowd shots. I did notice the sheet metal roof ribs didn't moire out if that shot is yours.
That was the event, but no, none of that footage was ours. That was all shot by the press themselves while they were there. And the aerial tracking shot they showed was shot by the little chase plane that was there.
 
That was the event, but no, none of that footage was ours. That was all shot by the press themselves while they were there. And the aerial tracking shot they showed was shot by the little chase plane that was there.

thank god. cus that footage looked awful
 
Terriffic Barry! You can say you were there "when"...
As we say in New Orleans... "Go 'head On With Yo Bad Self!"
I saw the doc of that story of the building and test flight of that aircraft... it's so cool to know that you and our little camera were there.
Also... after reading about the weight of the rig, I'm ordering the 14mm pancake for some applications.
Thanks for posting... inspirational.
Best Regards
Dale
 
Barry,

I don't recall this from our conversation yesterday. You took Janie across state lines? She isnt even a minor.

;-)

Tell me more when you have a chance.
 
Barry,

I don't recall this from our conversation yesterday. You took Janie across state lines? She isnt even a minor.

;-)

Tell me more when you have a chance.
Lol. Been waiting to see your comment on this. Looks like Barry got away with it! Haha, well done!
 
Back
Top