First music video, constructive criticism please :)

100% Honest I have no idea what I am looking at. Is this a song or instrumental? Your footage of a girl in a open field or you using a whole bunch of stock footage from around the world?

Like I said I maybe see what you are trying to do, but honestly it's poorly directed and the viewer never gets a clear vision and what we are supposed to be looking at visually & why.
 
100% Honest I have no idea what I am looking at. Is this a song or instrumental? Your footage of a girl in a open field or you using a whole bunch of stock footage from around the world?

Like I said I maybe see what you are trying to do, but honestly it's poorly directed and the viewer never gets a clear vision and what we are supposed to be looking at visually & why.

Cheers for your honest opinion :)

Start with, the stock footage is meant to be cutting in to show the bad things in the world, like famine, poverty, war etc. The girl is walking through the field reflecting and thinking about everything that goes on in the world. When the only lyric 'see' is sung, she begins dancing as if she has 'seen' that although there is so much bad in the world, there is also a load of good, and its her embracing her gifts (of dance) and using that to express herself.

In fairness, if I had done this independently I would've done it slightly different, but I had to fit it in with a college assignment.
Cheers again :)
 
Cheers for your honest opinion :)

Start with, the stock footage is meant to be cutting in to show the bad things in the world, like famine, poverty, war etc. The girl is walking through the field reflecting and thinking about everything that goes on in the world. When the only lyric 'see' is sung, she begins dancing as if she has 'seen' that although there is so much bad in the world, there is also a load of good, and its her embracing her gifts (of dance) and using that to express herself.

In fairness, if I had done this independently I would've done it slightly different, but I had to fit it in with a college assignment.
Cheers again :)


I would have done it like this.


First show the girl and establish it as she is the one being shot and reflecting on something. Secondly when you show the footage around the world do it from a Tv, project I mean anything creative and color correct it differently then your actual footage.

Maybe have her crying, showing emotion thinking to herself why these bad things are going on.

Why is she reflecting, why is she thinking about the poorness in the world? She appears to be in a nice area so why is she thinking about the bad of the world?


This to me is what makes a Director or someone a Great Editor as you have to tell the story and make the viewer believe. I'm not even judging the quality of this project, I just think you need to really work on your Directing aspects.
:thumbsup:
 
Hey guys, I havn't really posted before, want to start becoming active.
Just completed my first music video which was a college assignment, let me know what you think. Honest opinions please, i'm thick skinned :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHIPw24H6LQ
watch in HD :)

Cheers,
Jack

If youre intent was to show contrasts, with some sort of nostalgia for 'country', etc... Here's a shot from "Gladiator"(2000):

Gladiator-wheat-field.jpg


As it is the girl doesn't standout, and is frequently cluttered by the growth in the fields...

Here's a video of a hand over the wheat sequence from "Gladiator", notice the nearly 'no clutter' of the hand, occasionally a stalk does come between the hand and the camera lens, but for the most part the hand is clearly visible.


 
Back
Top