Firmware update on the way

Sorry if this has already been touched upon...but does the 5d have overheaating issues like the d90...you can't even think of leaving it on for long periods of time...if you do, it will heat up and become worthless until it cools down.

Does the 5d have the same issue or can you set your lock and then leave it on for long periods of time?...if it overheats, can firmware be created to address this issue, or is it hardware?
 
I have never had an overheating problem...but the longest period that I have shot was for a music video so it was recording for maybe 4 min at a time...I always turn off the LCD in between takes.
 
I would have to disagree that this is a rumor. A rumor would be information from a source without any verification or authority.

Our source is an official representative of Canon at NAB. That is as close as we will get to Canon HQ. The article is published by DV Magazine, who is trustworthy and would not spread outright rumors.

If this was a rumor the Canon representative would have never shared it at NAB. Furthermore, would have never shared it with one of the major professional video magazines. Finally, if DV thought it was a rumor they would have made that clear.

There is in fact a rumor related to that article. It's the rumor that there is already a firmware update out. That's made clear, and identified as a rumor. This was not.

This is the word directly from Canon to us. Or just take it as you will. Maybe there will be nothing. But with all the rumors and news for the past few months I'm enthusiastic.
 
But the rep said, "When and if it's coming, all that's subjective."

"IF" to me sounds like 50/50 chance.

I'm right there with you, though - quite enthusiastic. But this is the reason why I'm still on the fence ... debating between 5DM2 and GH1. If Canon comes out with manual control for the 5DM2, then it's a no-brainer for me. I've got $3K that's just begging to be spent!!!
 
But the rep said, "When and if it's coming, all that's subjective."

"IF" to me sounds like 50/50 chance.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

I don't think that is correctly interpreted "IF" is not whether or not Canon will release a firmware update, it's if the firmware update coming is the one we all wanted.

For example, they release a firmware update with 24p. That's not the firmware update I wanted, I want manual control. And they may never release manual control. But for someone else 24p may be exactly the firmware they wanted. That's what makes it subjective.

Some of us may get the firmware we asked for, others not. I suppose it's always possible that nobody will get anything.
 
Ahhhhh, perhaps that's what he was getting at with the "subjective" comment? I see what you're saying. Maybe you're right.

Either way, Canon would be wise to release this supposed firmware update NOW. With so many consumers salivating over the GH1, Canon could easily steal some of the spotlight by giving the 5DM2 manual control.
 
Ahhhhh, perhaps that's what he was getting at with the "subjective" comment? I see what you're saying. Maybe you're right.

Either way, Canon would be wise to release this supposed firmware update NOW. With so many consumers salivating over the GH1, Canon could easily steal some of the spotlight by giving the 5DM2 manual control.

yes, yes agreed.....nows the time

Do it!
 
Canon should do it before I spend my money on a GH1..lol. Cause I would go apesh1t if I bought a GH1 and the next day they announce the new firmware....haha.
 
Either way, Canon would be wise to release this supposed firmware update NOW. With so many consumers salivating over the GH1, Canon could easily steal some of the spotlight by giving the 5DM2 manual control.

By the same token, I can't help feeling like saying this is a direct play at keeping people from buying the GH1.
 
By the same token, I can't help feeling like saying this is a direct play at keeping people from buying the GH1.
Huh??? LOL man these discussions get to be more and more outrageous. Yeah Canon is sitting around worried that their core Professional photographer base is gonna move to Panasonic.
 
no cinebuddy, but there is well more than enough of the indi market looking to buy the 5d for purposes other than shooting stills, that would allow canon to eat up a significant part of the market.

In other words. the 5d would be near perfect with the voiced upgrades we're asking for, and would punish pannies sales of the gh1 from an indi filmaker standpoint, due to its bigger sensor, true progressive, more robust codec, and lowlight capabilities.
 
Man, I'm really on the fence now. I've been a long time Canon user and just sold my Xsi to a friend. I still have some Canon lenses and a handful of other accesories that's making me think that I should go with 5dmk2. I have a preorder for a GH1 and thinking of cancelling that now. :( Can anybody help me decide please!
 
I would not buy the 5D Mark II on the basis of a possible firmware update alone. Unless you are prepared to deal with the workarounds.
 
Man, I'm really on the fence now. I've been a long time Canon user and just sold my Xsi to a friend. I still have some Canon lenses and a handful of other accesories that's making me think that I should go with 5dmk2. I have a preorder for a GH1 and thinking of cancelling that now. :( Can anybody help me decide please!
Aside from price I see nothing in the GH1 footage so far that makes me regret my 5d purchase. I've had a hv20 and hf100 for a year so the workarounds for me are no big deal. You would have a lot of money leftover and a nice kit lens though...its a tough decision.
 
I agree with Daniel L. Buy the 5DII for what it is now, not for what it might be after some hypothetical firmware update. If you have Canon lenses and they're a) EF, not and I repeat NOT EF-S and b) of superior quality (Not necessarily L ) then consider the 5DII if you can afford it.
 
I agree with Daniel L. Buy the 5DII for what it is now, not for what it might be after some hypothetical firmware update. If you have Canon lenses and they're a) EF, not and I repeat NOT EF-S and b) of superior quality (Not necessarily L ) then consider the 5DII if you can afford it.

Yes, I have 3 EF lenses and a 550ex flash and a couple more accesories. Ever since the first digital SLR came out, I stayed with Canon. Getting a full frame would have been my final upgrade path digital camera wise. But then, I'm planning to make the GH1 a B camera for my HPX. I only have til next week to decide. Maybe I should just cancel my preorder and just wait for further announcements from both camps. I dont want to get burned since these are not cheap investments.
 
Have word that Canon has the new video firmware in testing. I suspect that it's at least a month away. Possibly just in time for the GH1 US release? Things are getting interesting, that's for sure. I suppose this is just another rumor but I bet we will know more soon.
 
Voltes, consider, do you do a lot of photography, and if so what sort? As a purely photographic tool, my opinion (I stress my) is that the 5DII cannot be beaten without spending a LOT more money.
As a purely cine tool, well, I'm not so sure.
 
Voltes, consider, do you do a lot of photography, and if so what sort? As a purely photographic tool, my opinion (I stress my) is that the 5DII cannot be beaten without spending a LOT more money.
As a purely cine tool, well, I'm not so sure.

Dave, Not a pro but done more phoography than video. I'ts becoming more clear now. Thanks for the advice guys.

ronnie
 
Back
Top