Field Testing

stevesherrick

Well-known member
As we get closer to prototype time, I'm curious how the Red team plans on handling its field testing protocols. I assume you will be putting the "Protos" in the hands of a variety of cinematographers, including A-listers. They will bring these things into the trenches and give them quite a real world testing.

I'm wondering is their results will be open to the public, or at the very least the reservation holders. I'm sure there will be NDAs, so this may be very difficult to do, but was just curious what your take was on this.

Thanks,
Steve
 
We have the A-list ready and waiting. Much of the footage will be posted online. Starting with the green screen test that will happen tomorrow with David Stump.

Jim
 
For you that arn't familiar with Dave Stump, Dave heads the camera sub of the ASC Technology Committee, and also is the head of the Metadata
group of the ASC TC.

He is pretty much the god of digital in terms of the ASC.. and has one hell of a resume:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0003432/
 
That's fantastic. I think this will help in so many ways, i.e. workflow, lens testing, durability concerns, etc. This is going to bring an even better camera to market for sure. You guys seem to keep making all the right moves. Once again, great job!

Steve
 
Jannard said:
Starting with the green screen test that will happen tomorrow with David Stump.

Jim

I can't thank you enough for putting this high in the queue for testing... and going with a name that should lend some street credit to the testing results in any pro circle...
 
what !! no B list ?
gotta let a few B list do a little shooting before camera release ...
or for that matter maybe a "D" list ( as in donatello) just to see what average RED persons can do with it right out of the box !!!! ....
 
Hey if you guys need someone to hold bounce boards, fetch coffee, or wrangle cable, let me know! I'm in OC.
 
Jim,

That's great. You've probably already thought of this but I would be interesed to see a few indie, run-and-gun style, filmmakers in the testing mix along with the A-list cinematographers to get a broader sample of feedback.
 
Or some Z listers to see what hapens when you use the camera the wrong way and drop it several times ;)

It would be nice to see what an average Joe can do with the camera.

donatello said:
what !! no B list ?
gotta let a few B list do a little shooting before camera release ...
or for that matter maybe a "D" list ( as in donatello) just to see what average RED persons can do with it right out of the box !!!! ....
 
I know I'm in the minority on this, but at this stage, I just want to see the best images it can make under aesthetically pleasing, controlled shooting conditions. I've always said that the first public footage from a "Digital Cinema Camera" should be with movie lighting, shot by movie people using movie gear. Call me crazy.

Plenty of time to see uncontrolled whip-pans and handheld footage with gain-up in a dim convention center...

I also doubt the prototype camera could survive out of the controlled environment of the testing stage, manipulated by the concerned hands of its master...
 
Back
Top