Fcp x is now out!

yeah and I really like Apple, too. It was FCP that got me into the Mac ecosystem.

Seeing as how Premiere runs better on Win7 than OSX, and Vegas is available on Windows, and Windows hardware is way freaking cheaper... Win7 + Adobe CS5.5 is likely in my future.

I will be spending the rest of my week writing hate mail to Apple.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a refund from the Mac App Store?

Refund: http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html
 
If you mean Randy Ubillos then he was working on Final Cut before he moved to working on iMovie. He goes way back to when FCP was named Keygrip. He also created Premiere long long ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Cut_Pro#History

So let me get this right...with all the shortcomings of the first couple of versions of Premiere AND Final Cut, and with all the negative comments over the years about Premiere in general, does it really make a lot of sense to put this guy in charge? Sure he's got the history on his side, but isnt' Apple all about the NEXT history, not looking back, etc etc etc?

It seems that hiring the historical creator of these apps is looking backward, but maybe not. I don't know the guy, so maybe Apple sees his genius. It seems the rest of the editing community does not.
 
In the beginning when you create a new project.

In Premiere I will sometimes edit different versions of the same project - the core edit might remain in which case I just save different names (Music Video Cut1 / Cut 2 / Cut 3 etc) - or when I am experimenting with pacing or order I will go off on different tangents and save them under new names, while not affecting the core edit. So will this not be possible with FCPX (insofar as you cant make changes and save under new names of the same project)?
 
In Premiere I will sometimes edit different versions of the same project - the core edit might remain in which case I just save different names (Music Video Cut1 / Cut 2 / Cut 3 etc) - or when I am experimenting with pacing or order I will go off on different tangents and save them under new names, while not affecting the core edit. So will this not be possible with FCPX (insofar as you cant make changes and save under new names of the same project)?

FYI - you can create multiple versions of a single edit within the same project, all without affecting your original edit, and without cluttering up your hard drive unnecessarily with multiple projects.

Not sure if you realized that, or if you just prefer to have completely different project files for each edit. Me personally, I just create a new sequence. You could even just create separate bins in your project for each edit and accomplish the same thing, if you were concerned about accidentally overwriting an edit for some reason.
 
From Walter Biscardi's twitter:

"Found out today #fcpx will never be able to open an #fcp project. Too big a change in project structure."
 
From Walter Biscardi's twitter:

"Found out today #fcpx will never be able to open an #fcp project. Too big a change in project structure."

So sad. I really never imagined this would happen. This complete level of disdain for the current user base.

I think I need to cut my losses and go with the Premiere Crossgrade.
 
Sorry you look down on these things so much..... we shoot weddings a lot with multi cameras and FCPX is completely useless for us!

Sorry Exact, I meant no disrespect. I have a friend who is going to edit his own wedding videos, and he is going to purchase FCP X before he starts that project. I tried to warn him. I agree that lack of multicam support for a multi-camera shoot would be extremely inconvenient! Sounds like a step back to Premiere (the original one in the 90's) or D/Vision on DOS or something.
 
Last edited:
So sad. I really never imagined this would happen. This complete level of disdain for the current user base.

I think I need to cut my losses and go with the Premiere Crossgrade.

I came from Premiere and went to FCP4.5 (HD). Unless it's changed in a major way I would never go back. Back then Premiere was lacking so many features and wasn't nearly as intuitive as FCP was. I've been messing around with FCPX for the last few days and I'm starting to get the hang of it. I just hope Apple addresses some of the big issues like FCP legacy support, XML, OMF, multi cam, etc. I'm sure they will in the coming weeks/months, until then just keep using FCP7.
 
FCP4.5 was... what, 2004? 2005? The Premiere of today is nothing whatsoever like it was in 2004. It has changed in ways that the word "major" can't even begin to encompass.
 
FCP4.5 was... what, 2004? 2005? The Premiere of today is nothing whatsoever like it was in 2004. It has changed in ways that the word "major" can't even begin to encompass.

I don't even use Premiere that much and even I can see this. I've had to tell a lot of people who know the Premiere of old that they REALLY need to take another look. I was impressed with what they did. In fact, for the last few months, that is where I have been throwing things together because I found it's just less of a hassle for me than even FCP6. (I never upgraded to 7, was waiting on X). If it's not important, and I am using MTS footage, Premiere is a no brainer.
 
I'm using both Premiere CS5.5 and FCP 7 and more often than not I'm frustrated with what FCP doesn't do that Premiere CS5.5 does than vice-versa.
 
Back
Top