EVF CENTRAL (present and future)

After few weeks of working with the F3, i must say that the position of the flip screen is terrible as far as wight distribution while working with longer zoom lenses, i ended up doing hand held with Optimo 28-76 and had that screen too close to my face,
Solved it by mounting one of my small HD's in the front looping the HD-SDI out of it but really missed having another point of contact with the camera.
it was working great as far as telling focus but made it all front heavy despite having an AB Hytron 140 in the back
i think i will give the Dp4 a chance when it comes out with HD-SDI.
 
I wrote a write-up on exactly this topic:

http://nofilmschool.com/2011/04/nab-roundup-electronic-viewfinders-zacuto/

I also wasn't impressed with the Cineroid (was viewing it on an F3). Despite being the same resolution, the Zacuto looked better.

That said, I don't think any of these viewfinders are well-matched to the F3 -- they're meant for DSLR rigs. With a $13k camera, a higher-res viewfinder makes a lot more sense. We'll see who comes out with something that's more expensive than the 800x480 set but cheaper than the $3k RED BOMB EVF.
 
I agree, after testing at NAB, I don't think either of those VF's are the go. I'm using a Hoodman EX3 Kit as a stop-gap at the moment.
 
...Also the Alexa need a better viewfinder , so who will make us a super Hi resolution EVF that we can mount where we actually need it?
 
I'm using a Hoodman EX3 Kit as a stop-gap at the moment.

I tried my EX1 Hoodman set up on F3's LCD: although it fits and sits on proper height to the camera (on my "hand held set up"), I don't feel comfortable taking it to "camera hostile environment" as that hinge on LCD is a joke. One wrong move with camera off shoulder and...
Even EX1 LCD seems to have better connection, at least I never had an issue for 3 years using it. I was able to "recycle" all parts from my EX1 shoulder set up and use it on F3 (with addition only of new Zacuto base plate-what a nice piece!!!), but I am afraid another expense is needed for proper viewfinder for shooting off shoulder... The question is which one?
 
I tried my EX1 Hoodman set up on F3's LCD: although it fits and sits on proper height to the camera (on my "hand held set up"), I don't feel comfortable taking it to "camera hostile environment" as that hinge on LCD is a joke. One wrong move with camera off shoulder and...
Even EX1 LCD seems to have better connection, at least I never had an issue for 3 years using it. I was able to "recycle" all parts from my EX1 shoulder set up and use it on F3 (with addition only of new Zacuto base plate-what a nice piece!!!), but I am afraid another expense is needed for proper viewfinder for shooting off shoulder... The question is which one?

You're definitely one of many struggling with this. I feel I may have to get the Zacuto if something else doesn't show up. but I also need a small very sharp and accurate LCD to sit on top of the camera.
 
Any interest in seeing a View Finder accessory for the DP6 (1280x800)? The package would be bigger than the DP4-EVF. Just curious.

-reed
 
I got a serious information from a Reseller that the Redrock EVF is a dead project. Not postponed, just cancelled.
 
Sounds "Big" but let's see,
Are you saying that you can give us an eye piece for the 6? i will look into that...

I'm saying it is possible, but there would need to be enough interest to make it affordable. We may do some survey work with our DP6 users and see what they think. Just a thought. The idea has been kicked around a bit.
 
Sounds "Big"...

The distance from the LCD to the optics would need to be same as the width of the LCD. That will give you an idea of size. This is NOT a product under development. However, now that we have experience with the DP4-EVF, the R&D would be somewhat reduced.

-reed
 
I did have a loupe for my red 5.6" monitor made by action products which I really liked- but it was too wide. The mirror is definatly the solution : )
 
A new challenger is coming in that EVF market: TrusMt from China
evf4.jpg
 
Any interest in seeing a View Finder accessory for the DP6 (1280x800)? The package would be bigger than the DP4-EVF. Just curious.

-reed

I would....

I've been setting up the DP6 hanging off my Obox. its a bit big, but i think it would work. I just need to figure out how to remove the Screen protector......... that puppy is in there tight.
 
I have had this chat with most of the EVF makers

EVFs are 480px typically,

if you are recording 1080 you are viewing 1/4 res

a 1:1 zoom facility is very handy to check focus

but touching the EVF will upset your shot if you are handheld or operating with a tele lens

I have been encouraging them to provice a remote switch for 1:1 focus check

Cineroid have one, SmallHD and Zacuto, have listened and may act

S
 
Back
Top