EVF CENTRAL (present and future)

Tata Steva

Well-known member
OK.
So we all need a "perfect" EVF for the F3. Current offering is nothing to rave about. NAB is in a few days. Hopefully, there will be more than one "new one" and people will be able to try them out sooner than later. Let's make this tread a "EVF central" for ALL FEEDBACK on new EVFs: reviews, pictures, prices, availability, dealers,...

Cineroid, Zacuto, Kinotehnik, RedRock,.... Anybody else???


cineroid.jpg



ZfinderEVFPro1.jpg




ProductLarge1732.jpg




microevf_lg_01.jpg



Who has a winner, who is still "selling fog", who makes it best?

:thumbsup:
 
Last edited:
And who will figure out a genius way to protect the LCD from getting burned by the sun ... I've already cooked a small portion of my poor Cineroid! With the dead pixel on my panel that's two blemishes and counting!

Who is doing analog in besides Cineroid? Thank god for the 'roid, that analogue in makes it a really really useful EVF!
 
i had a look at the cineroid on an f3 and i can't say i was terribly impressed. especially when you have the on-board lcd right next to it, the 'roid looks... less useful. i feel like i could actually use the on-board for focus, i can't say that about the 'roid. the peaking function didn't strike me as a great help since it seemed to cover such a wide area that i find it hard to believe all of what was highlighted was really in focus. and personally, i find that kind of peaking (splotchy red outlines) intrusive, obscuring too much of the frame.

sorry, i hope i'm not out of line speaking this way. i'm sure much of it is subjective. but i very much hope that one or more of the alternatives are better.
 
I have to second the poor impression on the cineroid. I used it and the moment I put my eye in the piece i was disappointed. It really lacks any kind of sharpness, its just super pixalated and huge, no real use to pull focus at all. The Zacuto is just way over priced and you have to buy both parts... So far my money is going on the Redrock micro for best price/quality performance. They really do make stuff we actually use. I never heard of that other one LCDVF.. where is the site for that?
 
I never heard of that other one LCDVF.. where is the site for that?

They are known in DSLR circles as manufacturers of LCDVF...

http://lcdvf.com/

They will be at NAB... Aperently with working sample. As far as RedROck goes, I have and use their products but as far as their EVF goes I am calling them still "selling fog" as they announced that evf a year ago and... Nothing. I do like their design the best, though. Zacuto: as everything else, overpriced for sure. Design? Anybody said "Russian Renaissance of the 50s"? Just ugly! Let's see if it is going to be better than C-roid...
 
The one design benefit of buying the zacuto as 2 pieces is that u can actually take thr diopter off then u are not using it. Thus a preventive measure of melting ur lcd in bright sun when you are just moving the camera around. The operater can just keep the diopter around his neck and snap it on in a second and start working. Zacuto has a good history of decent to well made products and good customer service.

I too was very dissappointed by the cineroid. Does anybody know if you can output sdi and hdmi at the same time on a f3 after the firmare upgrade?
 
Looked at a lot of the EVF solutions today at NAB. The LCD EVF looked interesting, the Cineriod with HDSDI looks solid, $1399 price tag, and went to the Small HD party with their new announment. Solid monitor, with loup, and they are working on an HDSDI add on to the DP 4. Big fan of the DP6 and they have followed it up very nincely with the DP4. Great price point at $500 ish and $750 ish for the EVF. Also good food!!!! And I like my food
 
Looked at a lot of the EVF solutions today at NAB. The LCD EVF looked interesting, the Cineriod with HDSDI looks solid, $1399 price tag, and went to the Small HD party with their new announment. Solid monitor, with loup, and they are working on an HDSDI add on to the DP 4. Big fan of the DP6 and they have followed it up very nincely with the DP4. Great price point at $500 ish and $750 ish for the EVF. Also good food!!!! And I like my food


Shrimps, sushi, lamb chops???
What about Zacuto EVF? Easy to focus?
 
No sign, as far as I could see, of any other EVF entrant other than the one from SmallHD. Looks promising although the screen is the same pixel ratio as the others. Given SmallHD's track record I would think the diopter will be better matched for the device than the cineroid. Not sure about the eyecup though. I'd be takin' an xacto knife to it as soon as it came out of the box.

I gave in a few days ago and bought a daylight viewable Marshall.
 
I have to mention this, although it is a bit of a derailment, the FS100 screen and hinge mechanism is built for battle. The whole unit is remarkably robust and will easily withhold the torsional tension that the diopter snoot will bring to bear on it. The FS100 is all over NAB. It seems Sony is using the event to place the unit in people's hands to generate buzz. The kit lens that comes with it feels really nice. The only thing I saw other than the previously mentioned drawbacks were the limited gammas in the picture profiles but there were a good selection of 4 to chose from including rec709, std gamma and 2 cine gamma like settings. In this contexxt it brings out just how fragile the F3 LCD really is. If I were to attach a diopter to it, the length of time would not be for extended periods and I would be really carefully about deciding when to use it. The hinge on the F3 LCD is not meant to take any kind of additional force other than gingerly closing it when done.
 
Back
Top