Entry Info

Jarred Land

President/Founder
Staff member
Hey guys people are starting to ask about what to do when your done.. The entry page will go up the 25th of September. Uploads will be 1 H.264 400line version and 1 Mpeg2 file (for the dvd)

thanks.. and good luck to all.
 
Last edited:
Dario Nieva said:
What do you mean by h.264 400 line? (I'm editing with vegas).
You have to upload a .mov, AKA quicktime file.
I think there are a number of ways you can do this if you are not on a mac.
Worst case sceneario - pass your wmv off to a user who is on a MAC and have them convert it for you and pass it back to you.

As for 400 line, I'm assuming he means 400X225 16X9 file.
 
Jarred Land said:
Hey guys people are starting to ask about what to do when your done.. The entry page will go up the 25th of October. Uploads will be 1 H.264 400line version and 1 Mpeg2 file (for the dvd)

thanks.. and good luck to all.

Jarred -- FILE SIZE limit? Assuming around 40MB? What say you?
 
so it's 400 line even though you crop for scope assuming that some will have letterbox showing in their movies?
 
Aw Dang! now I know Im' gonna screw this up! In the famous words of Jet Li in KISS OF THE DRAGON: "SOOME BOODY HEEELP MEEEE!!!!!"
 
I'm using Vegas as well in combination of others. But Vegas will provide my final edit and I think I can export QT. I've alredy been editing the whole thing wide screen form. (hope I'm doin this right!):huh:
 
Yeah we've been editing in Vegas too. Our first time as well :\

Was able to export to a 24p widescreen mpeg-2 file, just fine. When we rendered to a quicktime file it was skipping frames. Not sure how to convert it into this H.264 400line version.

But for file size.... The DVD version (The mpeg), does it matter how big that is? Also a confirmation the file size for the festival entry would be great but I think from festivals past, it was something like 40mb.
 
So, in Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5.1 what are the settings for required QuickTime export? I shot in native 16:9. When exporting directly from within Premiere Pro, exporting, "movie," as file type, "QuickTime," from the Premiere Pro, "Export Movie Settings window," these are the default settings in the file save menu when I choose "QuickTime" under "general."

General:
File Type: QuickTime
Video:
Compressor: H.264
Color Depth: Millions of colors
Frame Size: 720h x 480v 16:9
Frame Rate: 23.976
Pixel Aspect Ratio: D1/DV Widescreen 16:9 (1.2)
Quality: 100% High
Limit Data Rate to: Unchecked
Recompress: Checked: "Maintain Data Rate"

What I'm unclear about is how to specify the "400-line" version. Is that vertical or horizontal? If I change 720 to 400, dividing 720/1.5, I get, 266.666 (since 720/1.5=480). Does "400-line mean to change the vertical lines by changing 480 to 400? Then 400 x 1.5 = 600. What do I put in those two little boxes? If you change one number, the other number doesn't automatically scale for you. You have to change the other dimension manually.
 
Last edited:
If anyone does how to solve for ratios, here's the problem:

16:9 x:400

Solve for x.

Wait, here's the problem, 720 x 480, where the horizontal units (pixels) are 1.2.
So, 720 x 1.2 = 864

So the ratio is 864:480. But that's not right, since 864 x 1.777 = 486

I'm so confused.
 
Is should be simple, right? It should be 400 x 1.777, right? But it's not, since you have to calculate the pixel aspect ratio of 1.2 also? HELP!
 
Jack Daniel Stanley said:
As for 400 line, I'm assuming he means 400X225 16X9 file.
Duh. I just saw your post, Jack! 225! But which aspect ratio pixels do we compress at, assuming you acquired with a native 16:9 camera using 1.2 widescreen pixels in the first place?
 
Back
Top