"Elapsed", a short by Narrow Way Studios

Man this was really good. Great idea and it has real meaning to it. I thought the ending was just right too. Great story. Was there blown highlights in the kids face? I couldn't tell you or really care because I was into watching this film. Great job.
 
Man this was really good. Great idea and it has real meaning to it. I thought the ending was just right too. Great story. Was there blown highlights in the kids face? I couldn't tell you or really care because I was into watching this film. Great job.

Thanks for your comments, I really appreciate it.
 
Some BTS/Outtakes stuff for those of you who enjoy this type of thing:

See it here.

There's a couple more vids in that account pertaining to BTS shananigans.
 
Aww… made me feel good. But I’m not making fun of you. VERY REFRESHING. Damn hard to make something so heartfelt and positive these days. It’s like comedy and drama. Drama can be easy to act, but comedy is the hard one to pull off. I admire the direction you took, especially in… er, this serious crowd (I include myself :D ).

I felt like the film was a bit rough here and there. Mainly the dad zooms and some of the editing. The musical fades too. I felt like they swelled a bit too much here and there. Ever so slight, but slight nonetheless.

All in all, good work!
 
Awesome!

Awesome!

This is my first post, but I having been observing for a long time. I had to write this, to let you know that I think your film was awesome. It is really hard to make the audience feel something real in a short.

You did it! Congratulations!

Billy
 
This is my first post, but I having been observing for a long time. I had to write this, to let you know that I think your film was awesome. It is really hard to make the audience feel something real in a short.

You did it! Congratulations!

Billy

Thank, Billy, I really appreciate it.
 
Aww… made me feel good. But I’m not making fun of you. VERY REFRESHING. Damn hard to make something so heartfelt and positive these days. It’s like comedy and drama. Drama can be easy to act, but comedy is the hard one to pull off. I admire the direction you took, especially in… er, this serious crowd (I include myself :D ).

I felt like the film was a bit rough here and there. Mainly the dad zooms and some of the editing. The musical fades too. I felt like they swelled a bit too much here and there. Ever so slight, but slight nonetheless.

All in all, good work!

Thank you! Great constructive critique.
 
The last scene in this film was my favorite part. It's the bit that really ties the whole story together. There's legitimate character development by the end -- something rare to see in such a short film. When the student smiled and accepted his Dad's apology, I got the impression that his impromptu speech ended up changing his own outlook, making him a better man. Very good!

My only concern about the story is that it's maybe a little blunt. However, you were only given six minutes to tell a story that's deeply rooted in "meaning of life"-type questions. So I suppose it would be very hard to avoid making some broad strokes.

There were a few design choices that maybe didn't play out as well as you intended, but they've already been mentioned in above posts, and I'm sure they've already occurred to you. The only thing that really ever took me out of the story were the bits where the Dad is repeatedly telling his son that he's too busy.

Kudos for making a unique entry! Congratulations.
 
Last edited:
Wow, I really liked this one. I was amazed by how many locations, props, costumes and everything you had to deal with. I'm usually not the biggest fans of zooms, but here it kept the pace moving, and felt stylistically right.

I thought the acting was solid. And a good story.

My one comment would be that I thought this story was going to finish up stronger than it did. There wasn't quite enough change. I thought he would tell his dad off. Or maybe his dad would arrive to hear the end of the speech, and realize the mistakes he was making.

Great work!
 
Good message and a nice film. I like them very much. Now I understood the 14 locations!

Susanne
 
Last edited:
"They've got wi-fi and I can check some e-mail too." Hahahah!

Very good technique for faking a graduation ceremony. I noticed that right off and was impressed by your framing and cutaways.

This was also a nice take on the time theme. Good idea. Well executed. Occasionally it felt like it was drifting into after school special territory, but you kept it pretty well on track.
 
Huh. This one made me stop and think. You know I'm going to get off this couch and go do something, right now. Thank you! Well acted, good camera angles, good lighting, good music, best fonts of the entire fest - congratulations!!!
 
Well done, a very courageous and successful film. In my opinion you did what you were'nt supposed to do - you got on a moral high ground and basically told a story through a monologue mainly from off screen - and yet you managed to pull it off. The message could have seemed "preachy", but instead it came across fine. Actually I'm still asking myself how and why. I think the main reason was that there were so many cutaways from his main speech to all the examples of what he was talking about, and these situations were all well done enough to keep the interest and sympathy of the viewer. Here the numerous locations, large cast and obviously a lot of work helped. I think the editing was good and counted too. A unique approach in Timefest - great!
 
Wow, I really liked this one. I was amazed by how many locations, props, costumes and everything you had to deal with. I'm usually not the biggest fans of zooms, but here it kept the pace moving, and felt stylistically right.

I thought the acting was solid. And a good story.

My one comment would be that I thought this story was going to finish up stronger than it did. There wasn't quite enough change. I thought he would tell his dad off. Or maybe his dad would arrive to hear the end of the speech, and realize the mistakes he was making.

Great work!

Thanks, Jason, I appreciate it.
 
"They've got wi-fi and I can check some e-mail too." Hahahah!

Very good technique for faking a graduation ceremony. I noticed that right off and was impressed by your framing and cutaways.

This was also a nice take on the time theme. Good idea. Well executed. Occasionally it felt like it was drifting into after school special territory, but you kept it pretty well on track.

And faking and cheating is all we did! Glad you noticed :)
 
Nice work. I liked that this one broke away from the rest and gave us something to think about. The handheld closeups at the graduation had a nice "documentary" feel, as if one of the parents were filming this part. The actor playing Michael read the speech well. It was delivered as if he really were just talking off the top of his head. I really liked this film. :)
 
Nice work. I liked that this one broke away from the rest and gave us something to think about. The handheld closeups at the graduation had a nice "documentary" feel, as if one of the parents were filming this part. The actor playing Michael read the speech well. It was delivered as if he really were just talking off the top of his head. I really liked this film. :)

Thanks, Amy!
 
Back
Top