"Elapsed", a short by Narrow Way Studios

Nice to see that you finished the movie on time. When did you switch to Mac? I thought you were using PC before :-).

Hey Don
Yeah, I switched to Mac, bought one here as soon as I arrived. I'm really loving it.
FCP is a long process, but I've been studying pretty hard.
 
A couple more grabs/pics:

DSC_0343.jpg


jacob.jpg





DSC_0274.jpg


DSC_0335.jpg


IMG_0294.jpg
 
Hi Tony,

do you used really 14 locations for the film?! You must be crazy. We used four different locations and it was a lot of work and costed a lot of time to move from one to an other.
I can see also that you have a swimming pool - I'm very jealous!
I am looking forward to seeing your film.
Best wishes and much luck.
Susanne
 
Cool short.

I liked what you were trying to say in it.

Nice locations. Bowling alley and school bus both seem hard to get. Good job.
 
and rolling and reviewing.

Audio sounds good so far. Footage is nice. A little red in the face though upon first roll. Highlights blew out the speakers face a tad.

And it is a nice story idea. Interesting concept. Kinda sad as well. The locations and the extras did a great job at adding everything to the story. I especially liked the pacing at the bowling alley. Nice pickup shots of the bus and garbage truck.

It was a cute story. Very nice idea.

Overall, it is a great speech. It's very real.

I think my only thing was the blownout highlights on the kids face. :)
 
and rolling and reviewing.

Audio sounds good so far. Footage is nice. A little red in the face though upon first roll. Highlights blew out the speakers face a tad.

And it is a nice story idea. Interesting concept. Kinda sad as well. The locations and the extras did a great job at adding everything to the story. I especially liked the pacing at the bowling alley. Nice pickup shots of the bus and garbage truck.

It was a cute story. Very nice idea.

Overall, it is a great speech. It's very real.

I think my only thing was the blownout highlights on the kids face. :)

hey, thanks matty,
good eye.
 
Like it a lot. Interesting message and well structured. I really liked the half blown out face in the speech with the colors behind him. The dad's acting seemed a little weak imho though.

Well cut together and a good score as well. nice job.
 
This had an afterschool special feel to it. As a former latch-key kid I can relate. I loved your concept, great break from the other entries. I thought your main actor could've used a couple more run throughs with the dialogue but it made it a little more endearing. The other actors did an excellent job. Great work.
 
Excellent! I loved the message...and it's so true...we can only SPEND time and I really enjoyed spending my time watching this movie. It was well thoughtout, nice camera work, good edit, good music. This was a breathe of fresh air tonight, an angle I would have never thought of myself.

Great job to all involved.
 
film had a lot of heart. nice cautionary tale, sort of Cats in the Cradle meets Rich Dad Poor Dad.

Had to delete the scene where the main character is sitting in the john reading Rich Dad while listening to Cat Stevens.... we just couldn't get the rights. :happy:

Thanks for your comment :) I really appreciate it.
 
Hey,

As others have mentioned, the message is a winner. I love your take on "time" here. I like how that moment (HS graduation) is so important for those kids and it works so well for your movie/theme of the fest.
Also dug the music and the cinematagraphy, especially during the ceremony. Not sure the rest of the cinematagraphy (dining table, study, etc.) held up. But your work in the outdoor natural lighting looked really nice.
Thought the pacing needed some work. Lots of it worked. But when he talks about his dad (and his friend's dad) it felt long to me.
Also, I'd have to say that a lot of this is very "on the nose." No beating around the bush, no subtext here. Which can hurt. I liked your choice of venue (HS graduation) to get this message across. I think it saves it from being TOO much.
I wish there was a little more at the end. I feel like we know the lead recognizes what life needs but I feel like he returns back to it. Isn't this a story about a kid who doesn't let his father know this hurts him? I would have liked to see him change. Or for us to realize that he doesn't so it's that much more painful. He just seems to act counter to his own message.

Otherwise, I enjoyed and I think it's a very powerful message. Kudos.
 
Last review of the night for me.

This was really good. Extremely well thought out with excellent dialogue. You nailed the theme! I hope this movie does well.
This story has real substance.

Great work.

Mike
 
I really liked this and can relate to the time thing and being a dad. You always try to strive to make it better for them at the expense of not spending enough time. I never missed anything my kids have done though but I'm just saying it is on my mind about if I'm spending enough quality time with them now that I do this full time and have to bust my ass to get work and prepare.
 
Good orginal way to use the time theme. The short cut-scenes kept the pacing going, i liked that.
 
Hey,

As others have mentioned, the message is a winner. I love your take on "time" here. I like how that moment (HS graduation) is so important for those kids and it works so well for your movie/theme of the fest.
Also dug the music and the cinematagraphy, especially during the ceremony. Not sure the rest of the cinematagraphy (dining table, study, etc.) held up. But your work in the outdoor natural lighting looked really nice.
Thought the pacing needed some work. Lots of it worked. But when he talks about his dad (and his friend's dad) it felt long to me.
Also, I'd have to say that a lot of this is very "on the nose." No beating around the bush, no subtext here. Which can hurt. I liked your choice of venue (HS graduation) to get this message across. I think it saves it from being TOO much.
I wish there was a little more at the end. I feel like we know the lead recognizes what life needs but I feel like he returns back to it. Isn't this a story about a kid who doesn't let his father know this hurts him? I would have liked to see him change. Or for us to realize that he doesn't so it's that much more painful. He just seems to act counter to his own message.

Otherwise, I enjoyed and I think it's a very powerful message. Kudos.

Great review, thank you! Really appreciate it.
 
Back
Top