Easy Water Films presents "Urashima, Inc."

krestofre

Knight of the Holy Order
urashimaposter.jpg



Easy Water Films presents Urashima, Inc.

Written and Directed by Christopher Johnson

Starring:

Bryan Fitzgerald
Amie White
Rebecca Rast
Al Capps
Crystal Eastburn

Director of Photography: Nathan Pope
Sound Recordist: Ryan Byrd
A little bit of everying: Quillen Johnson

Score: Leandro Gardini

I'm looking forward to getting back into the fests, guys. Glad to be aboard.

More to come....
 
Last edited:
Old promotional materials have been moved to an archive at

www.easywaterfilms.com/urashima.html

BTS Pics.

village.jpg


Our Video Village, as it were. And, by George, what's that ZombieFest DVD doing there? I wonder.... :)


directing.jpg


Me directing Bryan Fitzgerald, the lead in Urashima, Inc. Note the Coppola-esq beard. Yes, I grew it only to get cool BTS pics of me looking "directorial."


sal.jpg


The dolly that we used for the shoot, hand built by our very own Nathan Pope. We call him Sal for short ... er the dolly, not Nathan. Sal doesn't make a lot of sense as a short name for Nathan.



golf.jpg


That ball kept screwing up his lines.
 
Last edited:
Thanks guys!

One of the things I want to do with this Fest entry is to make it as much an excersice in Marketing as in Filmmaking. Ever since they started allowing promotion of the Fest entries I've always wanted to have the time to really attack that. Most of us are in positions where we have to sell our work or our talent and we don't just get things handed to us, so using out own little thread of DVXUser is a phenominal way to experiment and see how things go.

I'm also particularly fascinated with viral and social network marketing. I think the Fat Monster thread was brilliant in how much attention it generated by masking the title of the film and offering something to those who deciphered it. Fantastic! So how much of their attention is generated by their great ideas, and how much of it is generated by their personalities, and how much is generated by their continued BTS updates? As I try to figure this out for myself I'll be creating and posting as much ancillary marking material as I can without it becoming a strain on the film itself. Aside from the teaser poster, I've added a piece above. I'm not sure I'm crazy about the all-white background motif. Originally I thought that it worked, but now I'm not so sure.

Anyway, thanks for bearing with me and letting me think out loud. Tell me what you like, what you don't like, etc.

On the film front, the rough draft of the script is complete, working on polishing it. I'm talking to a potential lead actor now, and will look at a location tomorrow. Perhaps dangerously, the script was written for a very specific location, so I hope it all works out. If not I'll have some tweaking to do.
 
Welcome to the fest! The postcard is definately a good one :) I like it, but there has to come alot more to create a buzz like the Fat Monster :D
 
Love the postcard!

I like the all-white look, but it does evoke a very specific feeling/mood. So since I know nothing about your project, I really have no idea how appropriate it is.

Best of luck!
 
Small update:

It's interesting to see how things change, at least for me it is. So, due to some unexpected changes in the script, the direction I was going for many of the promotional images is no longer accurate. I've updated the teaser poster, combining the two previous elements. This is more representative of the piece and less specific to a central aspect of the script, so I like how things are coming together.

I've moved the old images to a private archive page ... well, private in the sense that this is the only place the URL is published.

Thanks for wandering along with me as I think outloud.
 
Small update:

Leandro Gardini has agreed to compose the score for Urashima, Inc.

Shoot dates are May 16 & 17.
 
Ah sweet, I thought you had dropped off. Good luck!

Not getting rid of me that easily. :)

I've been putting a lot of polish on the script, and I've been more swamped with new clients lately, so I haven't been able to do as much ancillary material.

I've got a full BTS crew scheduled for the shooting of the short, so I hope to post some cool stuff after production wraps. First thing on my list: a banner. My signature feels naked at the moment.
 
Funny update ... well, funny now.

We thought that the lead actor in Urashima, Inc. broke his ankle. The diagnosis today (after waiting a week to find out) is that he just badly sprained it and is on crutches. But the best part is we're pushing forward with the shoot with him still in the lead role, and no, we're not rewriting it for the main character to be on crutches. That's dedication people!

Brings new meaning to the term "break a leg." (Yeah, I used the joke first so that no one else could.)
 
Time for an update.

Urashima, Inc. is the first film I've shot that has changed dramatically in the editing room. Everything I've done before has more or less stayed the same from script to screen. Urashima gave me a bit of a scare when I laid down everything on the timeline as written in the script and ... it was awful! It just did not translate from page to screen at all.

Suddenly I was filled with thoughts that I'm a sham. I have no filmmaking talent. I've been deceiving everyone around me and finally I'm going to be found out and relegated to a fate of "click here next" software training videos. My life is a lie!

And then I tossed the script out the window, pulled myself up by my bootstraps (even though I don't own a pair of boots, let alone a pair with straps), and started to recreate the picture in the editing room. Now the film is leaner, better paced, and I'm happy with it. All good things.

As a huge fan of Walter Murch, and having read as many accounts of his editing work as I can get my hands on, I had always wanted an experience where the film became something new in the edit. A film that takes on a life of it's own away from the script, as a living, breathing, thing. Urashima has done that in a sense and on a small scale. I can now say that I hope it never happens again. Please stick to the script from now on. Thanks. :)

BTS pics have been posted at the top of this thread. Thanks for reading.
 
Wow, talk about being in the rough. I'm buying you a lawn mower for X-mas:

golf.jpg


:)

Yeah, it's the thing about a screenplay that doesn't really hold true for any other written form(not even plays), is that it's only ever really part of the story. It's pretty common for the thing to take on its own being only when you have the footage. Glad you're not a sham.
 
Mark Harris said:
Wow, talk about being in the rough. I'm buying you a lawn mower for X-mas:

LOL. The tall grass was originally a plot point, but it didn't survive the cut. :Drogar-KnockedOut(D
 
In the home stretch!

Leandro Gardini sent the final score to me about two hours ago and I've been doing the final pass on the mix with the music. Let me say that Leo wrote a score for this film that will break your heart. It's so perfectly beautiful that I'm in awe. I cannot thank him enough for his contribution to this film. Anyone out there who hasn't worked with him is missing a great opportunity

Exporting now. Will begin encoding shortly and then upload.
 
Let me say that Leo wrote a score for this film that will break your heart. It's so perfectly beautiful that I'm in awe. I cannot thank him enough for his contribution to this film. Anyone out there who hasn't worked with him is missing a great opportunity


I understand! He wrote the score for Stricken and is amazing! Good Luck!
 
Back
Top