DVX100B electronic shutter noise?

abstract

New member
Hey all, I just picked up a DVX100B for working on my video art, and noticed a noise that I can't find mention of in the forums. It's a fast clicking sound that seems to be syncopated to the frame rate. At 60i it's quite noticeable, at 30p it's about half as frequent/loud, and in the 24p modes it's a little more uneven. Can anyone tell me if this is normal? Thanks.
 
Thanks for your fast help, Barry. Looking forward to getting a replacement and reading your book! Have a great holiday.
 
When my DVX is running, I can hear the motor in it gently, and quietly making noise.

Hasn't interfered with my work though
 
I noticed the noise when there was no cassette loaded, so it's definitely not the sound of the tape transport...
 
I'm sending it back to the people I bought it from, for a replacement. Hopefully I just got a lemon. Thanks, all.
 
I just got a replacement DVX100B in the mail, and checked immediately whether the same noise could be observed. Indeed, it's there.

If someone with a DVX100B has a chance to try switching back-and-forth between 60i and 30p, and listening for a fluttering noise that's much more audible at 60i, I'd be very appreciative. Again, this is audible even with no cassette loaded.

Either I'm the only person who can hear this, or it's a problem with new DVX100's. :violin:
 
Weird! If you could somehow make a recording of the sound and upload it as an MP3 file maybe that would help...
 
Having my DVX right next to me, I just did what you asked, tun if from "off" to "30p" And I too can hear a small chink, or click, I have had this camera for about 2 years and have never noticed it, but there is a extremely quite clink, but I am certainly not worried about that sound and if I wasn't in a completely silent room, I would have never of heard it. But indeed it is there.
PS. Seems to come from the lens barrel, maybe where the sensors are, might be the whole progressive scan changing with the sensors is my bet.

Jon
 
Having my DVX right next to me, I just did what you asked, tun if from "off" to "30p" And I too can hear a small chink, or click...

Thanks for trying out the experiment. :thumbup: When you say there's a "chink or click," do you mean the sound only happens momentarily when you 'flip' the 60i/30p switch, or is it a persistent noise?

I'm hearing the fluttering noise, coming from my DVX's middle, all of the time when in shooting mode, and most audibly at 60i. I'll try to make a recording of it soon.
 
I only hear it when toggling in and out of 30p, But i do not hear the noise after that, during recording it is virtually silent, there is a "camcorder noise" that goes with any tape based camera, but that is it. I sounds like you have gotten 2 lemon cameras, don't buy a lotto ticket, it would be a waste of a dollar... lol

Jon
 
I took the camera to a videographer friend, who thought the noise was a bit strange, and also pointed out that the focus ring and LCD hinge both made scraping noises when operated. Back it goes, again, to NewEgg. My 30 day exchange privilege is running out there, so hopefully the 3rd time will be a charm.
 
I took the camera to a videographer friend, who thought the noise was a bit strange, and also pointed out that the focus ring and LCD hinge both made scraping noises when operated. Back it goes, again, to NewEgg. My 30 day exchange privilege is running out there, so hopefully the 3rd time will be a charm.

Doesn't Newegg renew the 30 day exchange every time you switch? If not, you should make sure to get an extension when you receive the 3rd DVX. Nothing would suck more than to be stuck with a 3rd lemon.
 
Doesn't Newegg renew the 30 day exchange every time you switch? If not, you should make sure to get an extension when you receive the 3rd DVX. Nothing would suck more than to be stuck with a 3rd lemon.

NewEgg told me, "We can only issue a replacement within 30 days from the original invoice date," and gave me Panasonic's phone number, which was kind of disappointing. I told Jan at Panasonic about my double-lemon experience, and she didn't seem concerned at all, recommending that I lug the 2nd lemon to New Jersey to get looked at. Thumbs down to both NewEgg and Panasonic, so far.
 
so is your 30day period over? Im so glad I have never had any problems with my dvx, But it definitely sounds there is something really wrong with your DVX so i would pursue to get it replaced.
 
Back
Top