DV(red)X

I did notice the RED x on the logo, but didn't connect them until now. I also realized that maybe Jarred was going to create another forum dedicated to DVX RED users?
 
dvpixl said:
I did notice the RED x on the logo, but didn't connect them until now. I also realized that maybe Jarred was going to create another forum dedicated to DVX RED users?

this is going to be the forum for Red users, I think the cameras can play together very nicely, the DVX and the HVX are good prosumer cameras and Red will be our Professional choice. Many people with the other cameras are interested in Red, so instead of creating a completely new forum, this "subforum" will be the place to be for Red info.
 
The thing about Red is, well, also the thing that attracted us to the DVX and HVX. Seems like they're very philosophically compatible.

With the DVX, Stuart English and Jan Crittenden totally changed the perspective on how a camera got designed. They both spent a lot of time on the forums, asking us exactly what we wanted. Then they went to the factory and said "build this." The factory probably thought they were crazy, but in the end the DVX became the biggest hit in Panasonic's history. Because Stuart and Jan gave us exactly what we wanted. And with the HVX Jan continued that same tradition, taking a lot of suggestions and requests from us, the users.

And Red seems to be doing exactly the same thing. Building the product that *we* want. So obviously the three products will occupy three different pricing tiers, and three different performance tiers, but they all share the same design philosophy that attracted us to the DVX in the first place.
 
BTW - sorry for presenting such a petty question, but - does anyone know why the camera is called "RED" ... is it just because it sounds cool, or is there some greater meaning ... (just curious). I apoligize if this has already been addressed.
 
If you view your camera collection as a quiver of arrows to aim at game (projects), in the past, due to camera utility limitations, a full quiver of arrows was necessary in order to be armed for serious hunting. That paradigm has changed. The utility and capability of the new generation of cameras is amazing! As a professional DP that works on a broad range of media convergent projects, my quiver of "arrows" will now narrowed down to two in-house systems: a RED camera and an HVX200. Between the two, I can shoot everything in the convergent media spectrum from a feature film all the way down to the smallest event. I'll own a collection of the accessories I use the most for both camera systems, and simply rent the project-specific equipment I don't own - and build that rental fee into the bid to the client.

The average small to medium business motion media project is around $10-20k. With a 65% profit margin, it doesn't take long to pay off your in-house "quiver".

The motion media dynamic is evolving, and wisdom dictates that you evolve with it...

Gibby
www.cut4.tv
 
Andrew M said:
BTW - sorry for presenting such a petty question, but - does anyone know why the camera is called "RED" ... is it just because it sounds cool, or is there some greater meaning ... (just curious). I apoligize if this has already been addressed.

Jim Jannard once mentioned that the color red had some significance to him, although he did not elaborate on. He said he would eventually reveal why. He did own a bright red Porsche 935 and my guess is that his adoration for the color red has roots in his racing photography. I think he likes to photograph the color red. Then again, what do I know.
 
maybe its cause the color red looks aweful in 4:2:0 and 4:1:1. With this camera it will just look gorgeous.
 
Back
Top