Does Sony a7r II shoot in crop mode in hd? or does it just shoot in crop mode in 4k?

payal_choksi

Well-known member
hi all,

i am planning to get sony a7r ii. i just have 1 question.

does sony a7r ii shoot in crop mode in HD? or does it shoot in crop mode in only 4k?

i am thinking of getting sony 18-105 f4 lens with a7r ii and plan to use it for the crop mode only, hence the question.

pls answer my question and help me out.

regards,
 
Howdy friend. The A7RII can shoot in both full frame and APS-C crop mode in both 4K and HD, so to answer your question, it does! The only thing to be cautious of is that HD looks softer in APS-C mode than in full frame.
 
Last edited:
Howdy friend. The A7RII can shoot in both full frame and APS-C crop mode in both 4K and HD, so to answer your question, it does! The only thing to be cautious of is that HD looks softer in APS-C mode than in full frame.H

thanks for the reply..:)

How is 24-240 lens for video?....i plan to use it for corporate shoots...its' got nice reach!!....your views?!!
 
in 4K aps-c have more détails but the decision between FF and Super35 (Crop) mode does not only depend on the crop factor. Beside crop other factors are important. Scenes which include panning or much movement suffer from the higher rolling shutter in Super35 Mode. For such scenes I prefer FF mode. Super 35 Mode is a little bit more detailed (but not much) than FF Mode. So if detail is important I would prefer Super35 Mode. Under low light conditions Super35 Mode is better, too. So, it depends... So 4K full-frame mode offers better rolling-shutter performance, while Super 35 mode gives you the best image quality and low-light performance. This could create a conundrum, at times, as to which mode is right for you. If there is fast-moving action and good lighting, maybe you’d want to shoot in full frame, while shooting everything else in Super 35. I don’t like switching back and forth between modes during a project, but it is certainly something you could consider.
 
Last edited:
in 4K aps-c have more détails but the decision between FF and Super35 (Crop) mode does not only depend on the crop factor. Beside crop other factors are important. Scenes which include panning or much movement suffer from the higher rolling shutter in Super35 Mode. For such scenes I prefer FF mode. Super 35 Mode is a little bit more detailed (but not much) than FF Mode. So if detail is important I would prefer Super35 Mode. Under low light conditions Super35 Mode is better, too. So, it depends... So 4K full-frame mode offers better rolling-shutter performance, while Super 35 mode gives you the best image quality and low-light performance. This could create a conundrum, at times, as to which mode is right for you. If there is fast-moving action and good lighting, maybe you’d want to shoot in full frame, while shooting everything else in Super 35. I don’t like switching back and forth between modes during a project, but it is certainly something you could consider.

+1

I agree with this.
 
Hey friend, sorry for taking a while to respond. I've been swamped with edits!

I'm not too familiar with the 24-240, so I wouldn't be the best person to give advice on that lens. The only thing I will recommend is that you be a little cautious with do-it-all lenses. A lens with as much reach as the this is going to have compromises, likely with optical quality and higher f-stops (not good for lowlight). So be a little careful with trying to get a one lens solution. I'd try to pick up a couple of fast quality lenses if I were you!
 
Hey friend, sorry for taking a while to respond. I've been swamped with edits!

I'm not too familiar with the 24-240, so I wouldn't be the best person to give advice on that lens. The only thing I will recommend is that you be a little cautious with do-it-all lenses. A lens with as much reach as the this is going to have compromises, likely with optical quality and higher f-stops (not good for lowlight). So be a little careful with trying to get a one lens solution. I'd try to pick up a couple of fast quality lenses if I were you!

thanks for your feedback.

i had been shooting on 5d mark iii + 24-105 f4 for video and was hoping that a7r ii with it's low light capability + 24-240 f/3.5-6.3 would be better or at least at par with 5d setup, though i would be missing the bokeh of f4 vs 3.5-6.3.

if i had my way, i would like to have a7rii with canon glass and any non electronic adapter, as i would be relying on manual focus only.
or might go for metabones adapter if they are helpful in shooting video.
 
I use all Canon lenses with my A7RII and A7SII. I love the combo. To me, it's like having the best lenses in the game married with the best camera bodies (in the mirrorless/DSLR world). I love using them together and feel that the only thing I lose is autofocus in video.

If you wanted to try native though, Sony's new 24-105 f/4 that was recently announced would likely suit you very well.
 
Sony has a new 24-105 which looks stellar from early reviews, but they're all from Sony honks so I'm waiting for independent reviews before buying. The 70-200/4 can be found used at great prices these days. The 24-70z is even cheaper used, and if you get a good copy its a great lens. I'd go with any of those before getting the superzoom. I find lenses that extend like the 24-240 to be annoying - unless we're talking about something like the 100-400 for wildlife, then its no biggie. But if you're using it as a walk around or run-and-gun, its a little cumbersome IMO. As always YMMV.

Side note, with the a7r3, the a7r2 used prices have nosedived, they're a great bargain. I'm seeing mint bodies selling for under $1600 on Fred Miranda. 42mp, 4k and so on for $1600, insane.
 
Back
Top