Digital Cinema Filmmaker's Training Course

darwinandpaine said:
Has anyone recieved their additional lighting DVDs? What's the status on those?
Did you get the update email yesterday from Rush? Here is what he wrote:

Rush's E-Mail said:
Hello Everyone,

The update is finally ready, and we will be shipping all the boxes throughout
next week, Mon-Fri. The delay was caused by the long wait for the Manuals to
come in from the Printer's. In case you missed the first version of this email,
the package has the following contents.

A second Basic Production DVD that continues the concepts in the first DVD. It
adds steadicam, monitor calibration, male and female makeup, etc...
A replacement Instructional Movie and Screenwriting DVD, with an updated Movie,
added Screenplay Formatting Section, and Editing Section.
A Manual, a Laminated 4x6 Checklist and a Prep CD.
A separate DVD box that houses a 4-Disc Lighting DVD Set. That has several
surprises inside, one being Blue-Screen lighting concepts, flashlight usage,
smoke, fire, candles, and Christmas lights. This used to be the 2DVD Lighting
set, and has now become a 4DVD set.

Shipping on all these items is free and automatic, even to international
customers. Thank you for your patience.

The Movie Production DVD's have not been updated, and we don't see a need to
update them for a while. Instead, we are simply adding information to other
DVD's.

If you have any questions or comments, again please feel free to email me
anytime.

Sincerely,
Rush Hamden

The new stuff sounds great!

BenB said:
Wow, I didn't get this email...

Hi Ben, I noticed some people didn't get my mass email. Maybe my server doesn't like sending them out. But Corey posted it verbatim anyhow, so it's all there. Next time I may send out a double email.

The last of the updates/lighting DVD's shipped yesterday. It's all USPS now. :thumbsup:

To reiterate from the email, you guys are getting 4 Lighting DVD's instead of 2 ... over 4 hours of Lighting instruction in the Special Situations set. We filmed 10 whole scenes of pure lighting practice. ALSO, there are large sections where you get to listen to set audio, and full communication between me, the grip and camera op. :)

One last thing in case someone was wondering, the course has been completed, and ships with all its components when an order is placed. :)

Okay, I just got the extra discs along with a "field manual" (a 73 page booklet, tastefully done) containing all kinds of really handy information. I know that I was the one to voice some reservations after the watching the first discs. However, I have now been officially won over. I don't even really care about the content of the additional discs (which I'm sure is good). I just think that there's now so much here for the price, that you basically can't go wrong. Good job Rush and Evin!

Rush,

I want to publicly thank you for putting together this course. I honestly can't imagine a more thorough and complete filmmaking learning experience than this. It is obvious that you put in a great deal of time and effort to produce this series and I admire the level of professionalism you and your team were able to accomplish.

I highly recommend this for anyone interested in learning the art and technique of filmmaking. For beginners I think it is essential and for professionals it will codify and organize most of the things you already know; or should be doing and aren't. As DVXuser has helped me with the "what," you have now provided the "how."

All the best!
Jim

Rush- I received my update in the mail yesterday. The quality of this entire project blew me away and the manual is stunning! I wish something this well thought out, organized, and presented has been available when I was first getting into this business.

Well, I can't go back but I don't mind saying publicly that I have learned, or at least, gained a more complete understanding of a number of things. And given your attention to detail I feel that I learned something I already knew "all over again" if that makes any sense . . .

You are not asking enough for this professional library of information (Really) -- Not to suggest that this is only for beginners because clearly it's not but for anyone even relatively new to digital film making it is absolutely a "must have."

There are a number of useful series out there but this one is head and shoulders above the rest . . . its great!

Thank you (and wishing your much deserved success).

P.S. Did I mention I liked it?

Just ordered a set and i can't wait. It sounds like it will be good for somebody like myself who has experience, but doesn't get much practice.

I'm really looking forward to it and I'm glad to hear such positive comments.

Best,

J.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. A lot of heart went into that little manual, and into the entire course as a whole. It makes me happy to see that it has reached such great people :)

I am finishing up work on the "Gattaca" and "The Doors" HD DVD re-releases. As soon as those are done, you'll see more of me here. Right now, with those projects and the 4 new volumes of our course to be released in the next few months, I work silly hours (not that most of don't these days anyhow). It will whittle down soon enough. :cheesy:

Rush said:
I am finishing up work on the "Gattaca" and "The Doors" HD DVD re-releases.
Supposing you don't have an NDA signed, what kind of goodies can we expect to see with The Doors HD-DVD? ;)

unfiltered said:
Supposing you don't have an NDA signed, what kind of goodies can we expect to see with The Doors HD-DVD? ;)

:lipsrseal
Just kidding, I guess it can only help the sales of the DVD. We were actually able to get Densmore and Krieger. :) There is a bunch more stuff in there, but I figure fans would be most excited about those two cool cats. John was incredible. Just seeing this legend right there in front of me almost blew me away.

Jarred Land said:
wow good to see you back Rush.. missed ya

Thanks Jarred, I missed you and the gang here as well. :) It's been a killer 90 days. The biggest shocker was the length of time it took to edit the Lighting DVD set. When we entered into it, it was gonna be a 2 hr. video with mostly set audio rather than narration. Just 2 scenes, one per day, covering fire, candles, and Christmas lights. And then a bunch of table top setups that people can do cheaply but make small products look good.

Well, as soon as I got on the set, my ridiculous brain cells buzzed, and I kept coming up with new scenes that I always wanted to shoot for my private classes. Fluorescent overheads, color temperature mixing, blue screen, etc. Before I knew it, I was asking my Lighting tech and models to tag along into the 14th hour each day. It was crazy. When I look back it's all a blur. It was 115-120 degrees in the studio. We asked the models to lie down the whole time they weren't in front of the camera to guard against makeup melting. They had no problem with that :) When we got into Post, we were like, "Holy Cow, we have sooo much footage here." We decided to put it all in there, rather than break it up into volumes and sell them separately. Figured it would be a nice surprise for all the DVXusers who were waiting for their update and the manual/checklist.

That plus all the side projects really put the bite into the last 3 months. But it's all done now, thank God. We have already begun working on the next 4 volumes.

I just received my set, only 2 days delivery time to here in NYC. Wow! I'll be putting up on the player shortly. I didn't receive the extra lighting set though, and when I purchased it through the "ORDER HERE" link here in your sig I didn't see any reference to DVXuser on the page. Should I assume the extra set will arrive separately? Thanks, and I look forward to learning a lot from this great resource.

Ted Spencer, NYC

Hi Ted, yes, there is a comment box in the order page, that says "Special Instructions". You can either put "DVXuser" there, or order from the link at the bottom of my sig, or, send me an email after the order and let me know that you're a DVXuser. We'll send you the lighting set Monday. :)

Hi Rush, thanks for your prompt reply. I just thought I'd mention that my legal name is Edward Spencer, which is what you'll see if you look for my order, which shipped on 9/28 to NYC. I'll look forward to receiving the extra discs. Thanks!

Also, I watched the first couple of hours of the first Basic Production DVD last evening, and have already learned a great deal. I have no doubt this set's value will far outweigh its cost.

Thanks again

Ted Spencer, NYC

Just got my set last night and started watching.

OH MY GOD!!!! The presentation is wonderful and the narration is perfect.

I'm a film-school graduate but have a feeling that during the course of this series i'm going to learn a lot more from a technical standpoint than I did in thousands of hours of schooling.

I'm really a writer/producer/director that wants to make the transition to a modern version of filmmaker, which means knowing not only the logistics of filmmaking, but the technical as well. I can tell right now that this series is going to go a long way towards making this feasible.

I will report more later, but at the moment you've taken my breath away.

For only a bit over $300 I feel like I'm getting away with something criminal. :)

Best regards,

Criminal J

Back