Digital Cinema Filmmaker's Training Course

for what it's worth, i work for a company that does business globally and we never use ups when shipping out of the country. with ups and fedex, just because you drop something off at one of their facilities does not mean that they handle the product to the final destination. Many times they sub out to a third party in the destination country that doea not have tracking ability. not sure about usps though. I went through a nightmare a few years ago when a third party fed ex uses in Ireland delivered by ox cart for a shipment i had going to a manufacturer that was line down. We have had very good service with dhl internationally to europe and asia and i have used fed ex to canada with quick results . You should be able to track internationally if no third party. as always, make sure your paperwork is meticulous with the proper schedule and so forth.

Rush, i will be getting your course once i have sequestered myself with barry's book for a week or so (lets hope he is not using a printer in canada), that is if my family doesn't step in at some point. This camera has become a bit of an obsession and I heard talk of an intervention in the other room.

Last edited:
Wow, you'd think it would be faster, being that Canada is so close. Thanks for you input Barry, Mike, and Bosindy. :)

Rush said:
Hi CS, yes I will. First, because I believe in the power of the Course with all my heart. Second, I'll take a risk on you, because you are taking a risk on me. :)

In which case you can count on my order :D

I just ordered, I have some serious study ahead of me between this and Barry's book. How do you know the person is a dvxuser for the bonus dvds lighting set?

Hi CS and Bosindy, thank you for ordering. :)

In response to Bosindy, there is a "Special Instructions" box when you order. Just enter "DVXuser" or your DVXuser name. Your order is filed under a different email and account list then, and we draw on that when we send out the bonus DVD. We will make a big announcement when we send those out in about 2 weeks, and send out a mass email to all DVXusers who will receive them. So that way, you are guaranteed to get one. In about a week, we will have a separate page on our site, just for DVXusers, something like digitalcinemacourse.com/dvxuser and it will say "Welcome DVXusers" on it when you go there. That way, you will know for a fact that you are in the right place. :)

Hi for_m, no it is going out with the Bonus DVD's in about 2 weeks. We are making it exceptional. :)

Thanks Rush! No hurry, it's just because of my change of address that I was curious. Didn't want to miss out knowing how great it's going to be!!

Received mine a couple of days ago. I just finished the first disc this afternoon (when I was supposed to be working).

Being new to the filmmaking world I knew that I knew very little about the process. But now I realize I know even less than I thought I did. Is that confusing?

Anyway, so far I have really enjoyed the course and I know that I will learn a great deal by watching.

Rush, is that you doing the voice-over? Very easy on the ears. You never know - sometimes you get the George Costanza marketing audio book thing.

Sorry to break up the quote, but I just wanted to thank you for each one...

TimothyJinx said:
Received mine a couple of days ago. I just finished the first disc this afternoon (when I was supposed to be working).
You have no idea how great that sounds to my ears:2vrolijk_08:Despite the problem that causes for your employer or workflow :)

TimothyJinx said:
Being new to the filmmaking world I knew that I knew very little about the process. But now I realize I know even less than I thought I did. Is that confusing?
When you get to the Movie Production DVD's, they go slow and easy for 12 hours, so you can re-absorb everything in a real-world setting.

TimothyJinx said:
Anyway, so far I have really enjoyed the course and I know that I will learn a great deal by watching.
Thank you very much sir. It is an honor to serve.

TimothyJinx said:
Rush, is that you doing the voice-over? Very easy on the ears. You never know - sometimes you get the George Costanza marketing audio book thing.
Thank you so much! :)

Truly fantastic

Truly fantastic

This 7 dvds are pure gold.
I saw 1 & 2 and skim the others. Truly I have learned more in this couple of hours than in full weekend courses.

Pragmatic, to the point and thorough.

Congratulations Rush. I thought it was expensive, now I think it's a bargain!
Rergam

rergam said:
This 7 dvds are pure gold.
I saw 1 & 2 and skim the others. Truly I have learned more in this couple of hours than in full weekend courses.

Pragmatic, to the point and thorough.

Congratulations Rush. I thought it was expensive, now I think it's a bargain!
Rergam
Thank you sir. :)

Wait till you see the free DVXuser lighting set. We are hard at work finishing that right now, which is why I have been MIA for a couple weeks :) Here is a sample.

Attachments

• Gun Cam B email.jpg
    Gun Cam B email.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Fire, Moonlight, and Background Light.jpg
    Fire, Moonlight, and Background Light.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Balancing with Fluorescents email.jpg
    Balancing with Fluorescents email.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Christmas Lights email.jpg
    Christmas Lights email.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 0
Hey Rush. I was wondering if any of the DVDs or the Special Situations Lighting DVD will have a segment on how to light a Green Screen properly.

Despite my previous concerns, I must admit that the lighting in the thumbnails above is beautifully done. Particularly the bottom right outdoor scene. Nice work. I look forward to the addition.

While waiting for the DVD here are some tips for lighting a green screen properly:

I deal with green screen all the time ( I am a vfx supervisor/digital compositor). The most important thing to remember while setting up a blue/green screen environment is to isolate the subject from the green screen you will be shooting. Here are some basic tips:

1/ Don't have your subject(s) stand to close from the green screen. Have a dead zone between the screen and the subject.
The subject should be as far away from the screen as possible.

2/ Don't use the same lights to lit both the screen and the subject(s), both should be lit independently.

3/ NEVER-EVER use and diffusion filter. A lot of actors will demand to always be shot with some sort of diffusion filters, to hide skin imperfections or wrinkles...
Let them know that all of that can be taking care of in Post. Once you start keying footage shot with a diffusion filter on, you start getting an enormous red hallow around you subjects which will make a good key impossible... Actually try to stay away from filters when you shoot for Post/special fx. with the execption of polarizers for certain applications.

4/ Also you 'll need to decide to either use a green screen or a blue screen. Some situations might require one over the other. For instance if you shoot a yellow car, you might want to choose a blue screen over a green screen (yellow is closer to green than it is to blue)... Also avoid very reflective colors or materials if you can. Especially white.

5/ if your camera is going to be moving, add some track marks.

6/ if you can bring your laptop with a keyer and do some test on site.

Cheers.

drameddie said:
Hey Rush. I was wondering if any of the DVDs or the Special Situations Lighting DVD will have a segment on how to light a Green Screen properly.

Hi Eddie, yes, that is one of the subjects covered in the Lighting DVD (supposed to be a surprise, but what the heck :) ). We had a horrible Blue screen available to us, so we simply demonstrated the principles of the lighting which would apply if one had a better background. Green/Blue Screen lighting and many other forms of keying subjects will be covered extensively in another future optional DVD, but we go over the basics in the lighting DVD.

Here are some samples:

1154120628.jpg

1154120648.jpg

Thanks for the great info SomewhreinLa. Greatly appreciate it!

Rush, awesome to hear that you have it covered in the Dvd. For some reason, I had a feeling it was going to be in it. You seem to be covering EVERYTHING which is great! Looking forward to your future Dvds. Thanks.

Website still says 'pre-order', obviously not done.

Perfection takes time gentlmen. Haha, just ordered mine, I can't wait!!!

Back