Defaulted Reservations

I will probably finance for Red One and necessary accessories; I generally finance all larger purchases (over $15K) and include smaller additions to make a finance package - helps smooth out the cash flow. Sometimes these packages can take a little time to work up, especially if I'm really busy, on the road, etc. 45 or 60 days would seem to be more reasonable to me.

But, if I can price all the accessories accurately beforehand and get an email/phone heads-up that my number will be coming up in approximately 30 days, for example, then I can get everything together and ready within 30 days after the camera becomes available.

As it is right now, there's no sense getting my finance people in gear until:

-I can accurately determine what accessories I can buy, and then determine what I need.

-Basically get a quote from Red with appropriate tax, etc. - a real, final number.

-Have some idea of delivery.

Of course I know that I have financing available, should I choose to use it. Whatever method I choose (or have to choose) for payment, I still think 45 or 60 days is more reasonable. But 30 ain't bad.

All hail the Red Team,

Verko
 
Does the camera even need a serial number on it that matches your 'R'? It seems a sentimental thing to me and not something that'll hold any particular value unless you have a special or v early number. In terms of security there are far better routes to take than tagging it with a 3 digit number. If it's purely for sentimentality then you can just have a small metal tag with a Red logo and your number screwed to the bottom which can be changed from camera to camera to get them out of the door but for security serials i'd be looking at something far better.

For example if you use the 3 digit number to check to see if a camera you've just rented is stolen, on some sort of red database then it wouldn't be hard to change a 3 digit number to represent one that likely isn't stolen. How would that renter tell the difference? If the serial number is AGHL83820K for example, then you aren't going to have anyone making up a ficticious number that does exist on that database.
 
Sort of for sentimental reasons... but also for resale reasons. Selling the corresponding R with the camera may result in a greater percieved value to the buyer. Kind of like selling the box that something comes in... doesn't do anything for the product's functionality but people like to see the original packaging.
 
Muttondraw said:
Hi Emanuel

You may be suprised to discover that my position is very much inline with yours (assuming I understand you correctly). My initial post was a response to Stephens, where he said:

"I find it odd that people would order a camera without having the cash or finance available to pay for it."

I was trying to point out that taking out a red reservation was fundamentally different from ordering an exisiting camera. There could be many reasons why people have taken out RedOne reservations without finance being in place, I wasn't generalising at all, I was illustrating my argument with one possible scenario. I can imagine many such scenarios and as such I don't find it odd that many may have taken out reservations without being sure whether they will manage to get the cash together for the final payment..

It may be that you didn't see the earlier posts, or perhaps I just wasn't making myself clear, but my argument was specifically a defense of anyone who was struggling to raise the cash for the purchase of a RedOne.

Emanuel said:
«Who are stepping up from consumer HD cams and are putting together a bare bones camera kit using still lenses» doesn't mean «these guys» won't have financial capability in order to raise the necessary $17,500.

I agree entirely, this wasn't the point I was making.

Martin
Understood Martin. No worries there. I'm glad we both agree that generalizing can be deceived. For sure, I hadn't follow your prior posts.

I'm a dvxuser.com advocate. I believe in this community especially value-added after RED. I guess this combination will make history. It's wait and see! I stand corrected... It's already doing that. The affordable (really indie*) digital S35 cinema has been born here.

Cheers :beer:
Emanuel

EDIT -- * But definitely this actually bothers some (external) conscious(s)...
 
Last edited:
"let us move up spots in line and get ours faster. That's all"

Here, here! Or course, Barry G. is probably no. 2 on the list anyway...

The first 100 reservations or so will have bragging rights, but any bugs will have to get worked out with their cameras (and has there ever been a perfect issue video camera? From an untested company?)

I expect a rash of ebay profiteering about a week after the camera hits as well.
 
imagine a camera that actually increases in value upon its release...when does *that* ever happen?? that would be as big a breakthrough as any!

so far, RED's integrity is impressive. i trust them and believe that their business practices will continue to be sound.
 
planet E said:
imagine a camera that actually increases in value upon its release...when does *that* ever happen??quote]

Think if folks sold their first cams on E-Bay like people are doing with the PS3. If a PS3 can go for 15k, what would a Red go for? My god. Something for the folks with two Red-servations to think about :)

Jason
 
I was thinking about that after reservations closed, and kind of regretted not reserving 5 (the limit) early cameras...

I really want my RED, but a huge amount of cash would pry it away and make me wait for another one :)
 
jlaurili said:
I was thinking about that after reservations closed, and kind of regretted not reserving 5 (the limit) early cameras...

I really want my RED, but a huge amount of cash would pry it away and make me wait for another one :)

This is approaching the "irrational exuberance" level. :-Laugh(DBG)-1
 
ericyoung said:
I like this idea! :beer:



Red can put whatever serial number they like on the cameras, and so can skip numbers to maintain number matching with the titanium R's. So if someone moves back in the queue, the camera that eventually ships to them can just have their matching serial number stuck on it. :)

Hi,

That is fairly logical & nobody will ever know the no of cameras built.

Stephen
 
planet E said:
imagine a camera that actually increases in value upon its release...when does *that* ever happen?? that would be as big a breakthrough as any!
.

Hi,

Nothing new about that, just market forces.

Stephen
 
Back
Top